Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Seriously dude. You think these movies are made out of social altruism? EVERY single movie made is made to make money. Of course MCU was focused on classic, proven money makers. They were building a future movie universe. You start out with the first string. And Kamala Khan wasn't created until 2013 and Morales in 2011, so it's a bit hard to put either in a movie in 2008.
    exactly. Which is why I think people saying Feige is making these movies for social altruism is silly. And that was my point with Miles and Kamala. A lot of the newer more diverse characters were created only recently

Incredible Member

??? Bigfoot? What are these successful money making ICONIC movies that star Bigfoot?

Yes. Feige doesn't care about GotG or comics. That's why he plucked out one of the more obscure comic teams for a movie. One which clearly draws from the DNA GotG run, which you don't appear to have read.
    Chewbacca, Im talking about Chewbacca

I have read the DnA run actually and why I liked the GotG. Unless I read it wrong the only similarities is the roster which even then excludes Quasar, Mantis and Adam Warlock. Find me one scan where Peter saves the world by dancing

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    Good for you but find me a poll where Rocket and Groot ranks in the top 30 for favorite movie characters or even favorite movie heroes
    After you find me a poll which shows YOU get to decide who gets to be a real person based on whether or not they agree with you.

And way to move the move goal posts. First it's you're not a real person if you don't think Rocket and Groot are aholes, and now my personhood depends on whether or not I voted for them as my top 30 favorite movie heroes in some unnamed poll. Why not make it Top 100 of all Time, while you hauling that goal post into the next town?

Why would Disney care about hiring minority actors and filmmakers? You act like Feige is the only person ever to so this. The MCU started in 2008. If he did announce (meaning they could also be cancelled) in 2014 then congrats he was complacent for 6 years. He said he risked his career for this and yet he kept getting his 6 figure paycheck for these un-diverse movies. Why didn't he leave marvel and disney for Fox or Sony or even WB if he wanted to make diverse movies so bad? He didn't have to wait until now to make the Avengers diverse. He could've based Iron Man off 1610 Tony who was latino but didn't. He could've had Wasp who is not only another woman hero but in 1610 is asian but didn't and when they did introduce her she was white. He didn't even have to hire white directors. You think a person would look at the director of Captain America and go "Oh he is black so I don't want to watch this"? And you can keep saying Perlmutter this or whatever but my point is Feige cowtowed to Perlmutter and Disney instead of leaving while getting paid millions for this. TBH I don't think he even though about race or female centric movies outside of a board room pitch meeting. I could be wrong wrong though but that is just my opinion
    Well, at least we can agree, that you are wrong.

No. I never said or acted like Feige was the only person to hire a minority actor or film maker. Again, with the goal posts.

Iron Man 1610. WTF?? Really? Again. No one starts out the game with their unknown and unsuccessful third string, especially when they are already pulling from the B to C list with Iron Man.

And why are you holding Feige's feet to the fire over this? Why aren't YOU quitting your job and getting Disney to make minority movies? Apparently, you've been complacent your entire life.

And again, your math is completely off, as well as your grasp on how movies get made. Black Panther was announced in 2014 and released in 2018 8-4 is 4, not 6. And no one is complacent, while actually making a movie, so even that number is incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    This conversation would be going a lot better if you stopped making things up.
    QFT.

Clearly, OP has brought out his axe and can't hear anything over the grinding. I'm through wasting my time.
    Last edited by Reviresco; 10-22-2020 at 08:07 AM.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

People need to get over this notion that someone providing a counter argument is somehow deflecting or a personal affront on their own opinion. So many people these days would have failed miserably in a debate class.

Like please explain why star wars takes itself pretty seriously and people love it but the GotG are too weird?
    Star Wars established space stuff from movie 1. Outside of the Chitauri in Avengers, the MCU already had 6 years worth of movies before introducing space stuff.

The very fact Feige hired Gunn to make these movies when it is obvious he seemingly hates comic books shows Feige doesn't care about these characters.
    Gunn hates comics so much that he made a movie about a super hero before Guardians, has done two Guardians movies, is working on a third, as well as working on a comic movie for DC. Dude must be absolutely miserable continually working on a genre he hates.
    Last edited by Noodle; 10-22-2020 at 08:06 AM.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

exactly. Which is why I think people saying Feige is making these movies for social altruism is silly. And that was my point with Miles and Kamala. A lot of the newer more diverse characters were created only recently
    I know of no one who is saying that, except you.

Your point is that Feige should have created Miles and Kamala for the movies before they were created by Marvel??? And yes, that's what NEWER means. Recently created. Marvel has had diverse characters before those two, both in the comics and movies.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Extraordinary Member

No Gunn made them selfish assholes. And I don't get why people think GotG was too weird for movie. Last time I checked space BigFoot is one of the most iconic movie characters. Like please explain why star wars takes itself pretty seriously and people love it but the GotG are too weird? All that shows is Feige doesn't take these characters seriously nor does he care about them. The very fact Feige hired Gunn to make these movies when it is obvious he seemingly hates comic books shows Feige doesn't care about these characters. All of this is fine since his job is to make money but I don't get why people insist Feige is just a comic book guy like you and me
    What I'm taking away from this is that you don't like these versions of the characters. Which is fine, the MCU Spider-man isn't my perfered version of the character. But saying that your distaste for the characters mean that the creators hate those same characters is a really poor leap of logic.

And the fact is that Feige and Gunn, along with tons of other hard working people, made the Guardians of the Galaxy, a c-list comic bookproperty at best, into a household name that's beloved by millions of fans.

Incredible Member

I know of no one who is saying that, except you.

Your point is that Feige should have created Miles and Kamala for the movies before they were created by Marvel??? And yes, that's what NEWER means. Recently created. Marvel has had diverse characters before those two, both in the comics and movies.
    https://www.indiewire.com/2020/02/ma...ty-1202213127/

No. What I am saying is this idea that Perlmutter was against diversity is silly and one reason is because there were few big name minority heroes.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    People need to get over this notion that someone providing a counter argument is somehow deflecting or a personal affront on their own opinion. So many people these days would have failed miserably in a debate class.
    Alright then I will simmer down. All I also you which is the point of this thread is do you believe Feige is pushing for diversity out of goodness in his heart or to capitalize on current political and social trends?

Star Wars established space stuff from movie 1. Outside of the Chitauri in Avengers, the MCU already had 6 years worth of movies before introducing space stuff.
    What about Thor? If you can accept Norse mythology are aliens I don’t see why GotG is too weird

Gunn hates comics so much that he made a movie about a super hero before Guardians, has done two Guardians movies, is working on a third, as well as working on a comic movie for DC. Dude must be absolutely miserable continually working on a genre he hates.
    Hey Garth Ennis hates comic books and superheroes but he wrote Punisher and The Boys. Gunn at this point has made 3 superhero movies that have been released. SUPER which is a parody of superheroes, and the guardians movies which are essentially self parodies. His Suicide squad looks the same as well

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    What I'm taking away from this is that you don't like these versions of the characters. Which is fine, the MCU Spider-man isn't my perfered version of the character. But saying that your distaste for the characters mean that the creators hate those same characters is a really poor leap of logic.

And the fact is that Feige and Gunn, along with tons of other hard working people, made the Guardians of the Galaxy, a c-list comic bookproperty at best, into a household name that's beloved by millions of fans.
    IDC if they're loved by every human being on earth. Popularity does not mean good.

People say Zack Snyder hates Superman based on his movies. For doing what exactly? If that is the criteria then how does Gunn show the guardians any love? Changing doesn't mean a creator hates a character but making them an idiot, goofball and save the world by dancing certainly doesn't indicate they have high thoughts on them

Getting back on topic my issue with Feige worship is two things. First thing is blaming essentially everything on Perlmutter. I get it Feige had to answer to them and all this politics but if he was so passionate about diversity he should've left Marvel Studios for Fox or Sony, but he didn't and continued to profit off of movies that he did not want. The second is acting like he is doing this diversity push out of passionate and his heart. If he was he wouldn't make it a point to show off the diversity of the mcu like they're his show ponies.

Alright then I will simmer down. All I also you which is the point of this thread is do you believe Feige is pushing for diversity out of goodness in his heart or to capitalize on current political and social trends?
    You can push for diversity while still understanding that the movie funding has to come from somewhere, and the people funding that movie are going to want a return on that investment.

What about Thor? If you can accept Norse mythology are aliens I don’t see why GotG is too weird
    99% of the characters in the first Thor movie were very human looking. Thor 2 was only a year before Guardians, and even the dark elves in it were human-ish. Much different marketing that than a CGI racoon and talking tree as main characters.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member

Hey Garth Ennis hates comic books and superheroes but he wrote Punisher and The Boys. Gunn at this point has made 3 superhero movies that have been released. SUPER which is a parody of superheroes, and the guardians movies which are essentially self parodies. His Suicide squad looks the same as well
    There is a MASSIVE difference between Ennis' machissmo filled gross out hate-letter towards super heros that is The Boys comic, and Gunn's cheeky but ultimately endearing passion projects, that he digs deep into comic book lore and digs up some really obscure characters to bring to the big screen is evidence enough of how enthralled he is by it all.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Aside from the fact he is good at his job, Feige comes off like a humble down-to-earth guy. He seems like a genuine fan and not someone who would talk down on you. That is rare in the producer world.
    Can you give an example of how he is like that? Every decision he makes to the mcu shows he doesn't care about these characters that much

No one worships Feige. No one thinks he's the most badass advocate for representation. People enjoy his movies, and they're happy to see he's making an obvious push to feature diversity - whether it's money related is of no concern as long as its all done well

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    There is a MASSIVE difference between Ennis' machissmo filled gross out hate-letter towards super heros that is The Boys comic, and Gunn's cheeky but ultimately endearing passion projects, that he digs deep into comic book lore and digs up some really obscure characters to bring to the big screen is evidence enough of how enthralled he is by it all.
    only because Gunn was anchored by a PG13 rating. And endearing passion project? Why does that not apply to Zack Snyder movies? That aside I disagree. Gunn has yet to show he actually likes superheroes to me. The guardians are not even heroes in GotG. At best they are Deadpool esque anti-heroes. All he does is mock superheroes for being silly and stupid. Like name me any scene that gives you the impression he actually likes these characters. Would you make a movie like Gunn's about your favorite superhero?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    No one worships Feige. No one thinks he's the most badass advocate for representation. People enjoy his movies, and they're happy to see he's making an obvious push to feature diversity - whether it's money related is of no concern as long as its all done well
    well there is something i agree with