Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Incredible Member AndersonHoran's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dboi2001 View Post
    https://old.reddit.com/r/marvelstudi...eady_to_leave/

I just want to as a start I do mean everything in good faith

My point is that I do not think Feige is as 'cool' of a guy as people make him out to be and is a businessman at the end of the day. How many posts were there about the Justice League movie making the team more diverse? If you agree that Feige is doing this for money then we have a lot more in common and don't need to be hostile towards each other. If you disagree then I respectfully disagree. These are just what I have personally seen and experienced. Maybe your experiences are different and that is fine
    What are you talking about? DCEU had like one black hero and he's already gone lmao

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

None of us know Feige personally so I don't think any of us can say for certain he does or doesn't care about things like race or repsentation.
    I'll leave it there. I don't hate Feige he just is what he is and there is nothing wrong with that. It is great he is finally starting to be inclusive after 10 years but this doesn't make him a champion of minorities or a trailblazer
    Marvel initially had a two movie a year policy and phase 1 built off building up the Core Avengers (Cap, Hulk and Thor). I was fine waiting for Black Panther because it was made at the right time. We never would of had the likes of Ryan Coogler, Micheal B.Jordan and the late Chadwick Boseman if Black Panther was made earlier.

I'm not exactly sure what your point is. People have different opinions which is fine. If you think Feige is overrated or Snyder is a genius is ok as well. I'm not sure why other people agreeing or disagreeing really matters. People like what they like.

Considering various people in the film industry (actors, producer, directors, writers, execs, ect) have said that the success of Black Panther has changed minds about minority lead features I do think it has earned Feige some credit. Success generates accolades.

no the bad mcu movies are bad movies period
    Sorry, love. THat's empirically false. Your opinion on the subject isn't relevant. it's just yours.

yet people still compare them
    people are often stupid. and mean-spirited. and stupid again. this is another fact of life.

He absolutely did impose his jaundice vision. Yeah making Mar Vell a middle aged woman and Star Lord a man child is honoring the source material.
    This is adorable. until the GoTG film came out like five people even knew who Starlord was. You were not one of them. Ditto Captain Marvel. Try again.

Astonishing Member

So now I'm wondering if the next Suicide Squad movie is going to be good or bad because the director made a successful pair of Marvel movies.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    No MCU movie tries to replicate the characters and stories. Doing that is folly. They take the basic character concept and put their spin (filtered through the machine that is Marvel Studios and Disney) on it. So in this case they're not exactly like the comic versions, mainly because they haven't lived the same lives as the comic characters. It's called an adaptation and not a copy for a reason.
    and how does that not apply to Snyder? I never said things must be exact copies but there should be a limit. Nobody is recognizable from their comic versions. Quill is the headstrong leader in the comics but in the movie he is a man child. Drax is a master fighter and pretty competent at strategizing attacks shown when he took down 3 aliens but in the movie he jumps into the stomach of a worm thinking he can kill it from inside. Mantis in the comics is badass and incredibly strong at controlling but in the movie she is used as the butt of jokes for Drax calling her ugly. Rocket Racoon in the comics is an expert marksman and tactician but in the movie he is a raging alcoholic. Gamora in the comics is sultry and strong while in the movie she is just kinda there and also can't take down Quill despite being "the most dangerous woman in the galaxy"

Certainly some changes and cleanups helped like simplifying origins and honestly the change from J'son to Ego wasn't even that bad. But to me they just aren't the same guardians

They overcome their own personal flaws and shortcomings to go on what they believe to be a suicide mission to protect an entire planet from a dangerous terrorist with a godlike weapon at his disposal. And they do that of their own free will simply because it's the right thing to do, and they convice the Ravagers to do the same. Groot sacrifices himself to save his found family. That's heroic by any measure. Do they start out as outlaws who don't really fit into most legal systems even at the end of the movie? Yes, that doesn't mean that they can't be heroes. That's really a very narrow view of what a hero is and can be.
    The movie literally ends "So we going to do some good? Some bad? Both?" I also feel I remember someone saying something like this is a one time thing. Maybe it was Yondu idk been a while since I watched it. However non of that is what the GotG is. First off the guardians are a proactive team while movie guardians are literally reactive. Again at best they are the suicide squad not the gotg

Right. Star-Lord talked about an icky subjects and there were jokes in the movie. Clearly this means that Gunn absolutely hates the franchise and that he burns random issues of Guardians of the Galaxy to fuel his unending vitriol towards it all.
    And how is that any different than the Boys? Essentially every 'hero' in this story is an ass the only difference is it has a happy ending unlike the Boys

No, I had no issues with those scenes and generally think that Gunn did an amazing job as a director, the characters making crude jokes does not detract from that.
    Would comics Star Lord ever make jokes like that? Hell I remember one part where Quill sarcastically mentioned taking Gamora out on a date and she literally told him that was disgusting but in the movie they are the main love interests.

They've been one of my favourite teams since the Annihilation events and DnA's comic run. Then GotG fans would sit around and wonder why they didn't call a movie with Star-Lord, Rocket Raccoon, Groot and Drax Guardians of the Galaxy. They're all members of that team.
    Okay then in what ways are Gunn's guardians anything like the DnA guardians at all? And again look at that Feige missed out on more representation with Quasar, oh well

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Not just Thanos, the Celestials, Ego the Living Planet, Rocket Racoon, Batroc Ze Leaper, the list goes on and on. Nobody expected to ever see ANY of these guys and he went and turned Groot and Rocket into characters that your average person outside of comics knows and loves.
    I'm still over the moon that I got to see Batroc the Leaper, and *as kind of a badass* (compared to the silly caricature he often is treated as in the comics).

Ah, and Groot. I had to buy Groot merch *for my seventy-plus year old mother* because she's such a fan. Close to the last Marvel character I ever expected to have a fanbase. (And far, far from one my favorites, even among Guardians, in the comics, but Gunn made him endearing and memorable and fun. A great improvement over the character from the comics, IMO.)

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Sorry, love. THat's empirically false. Your opinion on the subject isn't relevant. it's just yours.

people are often stupid. and mean-spirited. and stupid again. this is another fact of life.

This is adorable. until the GoTG film came out like five people even knew who Starlord was. You were not one of them. Ditto Captain Marvel. Try again.
    Empirically false? Movies are subjective

I did know Mar Vell and Star Lord before the movies. And because they are unknown means they don't deserve respect?

I always **** myself laughing everytime I see these ''Mar-Vell fans'' who only learned about his existence because of Carol.

kevin feige can manage consistent continuity and long-term planning with marvel characters so as comic fans we naturally bow to his incomprehensible might
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonHoran View Post
    I always **** myself laughing everytime I see these ''Mar-Vell fans'' who only learned about his existence because of Carol.
    Just for the record, I liked him long before the movies although I accept he'll never get much focus in the comics or otherwise. I have nothing against Carol Danvers, although I think female characters such as the X-Women, Wonder Woman, and the Gotham City Sirens are all far more compelling in their own ways. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

I have always been a fan of MarVell even before Carol became Captain Marvel. Don't pretend you know me

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Or making other people feel bad for not liking what he likes.

Yep, your guess is as good as mine.
    I don't have a problem with people disliking Snyder that isn't what this thread is about. I have an issue of people painting Feige in a completely different and unrealistic light. Maybe I should have worded the thread differently but everything I say is genuine and not trolling

Hard to believe when you're whinning about a gender swapping of a character whos been dead since the last century but whatever

no the bad mcu movies are bad movies period
    Movies are subjective
    Obvious contradiction is obvious.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Hard to believe when you're whinning about a gender swapping of a character whos been dead since the last century but whatever
    Reading minds I see to ascribe motivations.

There wasn't a gender swap in the traditional sense rather Carol took over for him in the comics (well, actually took his mantel later), he wasn't retconned to be her. It is the same as when in the new Batwoman TV series Kate becomes the new "Bat" after Bruce abandons Gotham. She would be a successor character.

Edit - I don't hate her, I just think she's rather bland and boring kind of like Hal Jordan.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-22-2020 at 01:28 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."