Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default DC Clichés that need a looooong rest...

Clichés often become clichés because they start out as good ideas, but, because of that, they often get used too often and end up wearing out their welcome. These are the ones that I don't need to see anymore for at least 5 years.

Superman becoming evil. Injustice, for better or worse, has proven to be a compelling universe to a lot of fans. While I think it's undercut by failing to explore Batman's own morally dubious behavior, I can respect why this idea worked for so many others. That said, I don't want to see anymore evil Superman stories for the foreseeable future. Evil Superman-types, sure, but I don't want to see Superman himself breaking bad. It's become one of the laziest, easiest stories to use for the character and isn't very compelling.

Gotham City being taken over by one of his villains for the purpose of teaching Batman some stupid lesson by murdering and terrorizing the poor shmucks who still live in that hellhole of a city. Even in the high fantasy of superhero comics, there is simply no plausible explanation why any sane person would still live in Gotham City after the unending series of mass murders and catastrophes that regularly occur there. Give Gotham a break, please.

Wonder Woman hasn't had enough creative consistency to really have any clichés, aside from how inconsistent her creative teams are. However, since DC has failed to find any creative teams that have managed to gain any significant readership, I don't blame them for continually throwing more darts at the board in the hopes that someone will hit a bullseye.

The Flash needs to stop fighting evil speedsters for a very, very long time. The Reverse Flash, Zoom, Godspeed and the rest need to take a long vacation in the Speed Force and leave The Flash to have some fun, light adventures for a while that don't involve overly elaborate and convoluted revenge upon Barry Allen.

I don't need any more shocking revelations about the deep dark secrets the Guardians of the Universe have been keeping from the Green Lanterns of Earth. And I don't need any new Green Lanterns of Earth until they figure out what to do with the ones they've already got. They got lucky with Jessica Cruz, but we've got enough. Thank you. Please add more alien GLs, not more humans. I haven't read Far Sector yet, though, so maybe I'll change my mind there.

I don't need to see Ollie cheat on Dinah ever again. Time shenanigans can wipe away the previous instances, but it's stupid and makes both Ollie & Dinah look bad. Enough with Ollie being a scumbag and Dinah continually taking him back.

What about you guys?

Secret identities

If you kill him you will be just like him

Amazons being evil or killed off

Captain Atom, Martian Manhunter or Wonder Woman being jobbers

Batman can’t be happy, even though I’ve seen plenty of times where he is

Vigilantes are the same as supervillains or banning them as vigilantes, quit trying to arrest Green Arrow and Batman for being street heroes when they are literally a part of a team recognized the world over for saving the multiverse. Even in the upcoming Batman stuff with the mayor trying to ban vigilantes, doesn’t exactly make sense when the world is full of heroes who have saved up many a time.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Just... Gotham city-scale threat in general. I don't know about Post Crisis but ever since New 52 started we've been getting that almost non stop.

Riddler's Zero Year, Night of The Owls, The Scare Gas blimp, Mad Hatter's mass hypnosis, Medusa and mythical monsters, Talia's Leviathan, Mary's army of vampires, Throne of Atlantis flood, Rotworld, Forever Evil Arkham Batman vs Bane, Batman Eternal war, Batman and Robin Eternal Orphan and Children takeover, Joker's Endgame, giant Mr. Bloom, The Colony and the drones, War of The Jokes and Riddles, Shiva's League of Shadows, Night of The Monster Men, Everybody Loves Ivy, Evil Future Tim's OMAC project, giant Clayface, City of Bane, Joker War, Batman Who Laughs infection, Castle Bat, I might even miss a few things.

One thing King did right is not doing that between Night of Monster Men and City of Bane

Throne of Atlantis. Freaking throne of Atlantis. There has to be a fight for throne of Atlantis. Let Arthur have it, he's tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't need to see Ollie cheat on Dinah ever again. Time shenanigans can wipe away the previous instances, but it's stupid and makes both Ollie & Dinah look bad. Enough with Ollie being a scumbag and Dinah continually taking him back.
    Oh gosh, I never read Green Arrow for a long enough time, right, so when that Didio DC timeline came out and we analyzed it, Green Arrow and Black Canary's names, besides their involvement in JL and BOP are only mentioned whenever they break up and get together again, and there's like 4 times at least. That made me laugh.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-22-2020 at 03:04 AM.

Cheetah getting jobbed to Bat-characters and other street-levelers.

Wonder Woman as arm candy for Batman and Superman.

Wonder Woman kills and that's bad.

Themyscira being invaded and/or some deep dark secret about it. Amazons being massive misandrists also falls under this.

Batman’s “prep time” and Superman’s “he’s not holding back this time” superpowers.

Other colored Lantern Corps.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-22-2020 at 05:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

Betrayal and dysfunctional Titans/ TT teams.

Batman being a broken hero who can't save anyone, alienates his allies ans makes everything worse.

Extraordinary Member

"We need an even younger generation than the amazing ones we already have that are now too old"

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    "We need an even younger generation than the amazing ones we already have that are now too old"
    That's barely a cliche so much as just introducing new characters. The old ones still remain or at least where already being downplayed before the new ones came along.

The go to worst abuses.

Look it's the all new : I just changed the gender, race, sexual orientation, ethnicity version of ___________!
    Isn't that creative, new and edgy!
    No, it's not, how about you actually create a NEW character!

Followed by:

Bereft of actual new Ideas all we do is derivatives of the same character with the easy got to live up to the legacy coming of age arc, that is so played out, so much that when they start pilling up, it's lets ...EVENT REBOOT AGAIN!!

JUST STOP!

And actually crate NEW characters!!!!
    Last edited by Güicho; 10-22-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Justice League vs Titans. If it's Teens, fine, but even that's pushing it, but if it's the adults... you're all adults! Act like one!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Superman is easily corruptible or will slide into villainy when things get too tough.

Superman needs the marriage with Lois and the Kents alive as his "tethers to humanity"

Oversimplifying Superman and Batman into "light and dark"

Batman is an abusive edgelord who is too eager to dish out OTT violence instead of being a fun hero we're supposed to like

Batman makes Gotham worse and inspires his villains.

The Joker is a predictable and boring mass murderer who escapes constantly instead of a clever, unpredictable criminal mastermind who can kill but is not his default action

Wonder Woman being paired with either Superman or Batman

Wonder Woman and anyone from her world (particularly Cheetah) jobbing to people they have no business jobbing to.

Amazons as savage man hating barbarians

Putting legacy on a pedestal both in and out of universe, and producing more legacy characters. It's a wider problem of newer and diverse characters otherwise not being able to gain any traction, but the shrinking number of IPs and each of them getting more crowded is a shame.

Kryptonians being able to talk to their dead parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    The Flash needs to stop fighting evil speedsters for a very, very long time. The Reverse Flash, Zoom, Godspeed and the rest need to take a long vacation in the Speed Force and leave The Flash to have some fun, light adventures for a while that don't involve overly elaborate and convoluted revenge upon Barry Allen.
    This. This is the big one for me. Although I would settle for just no more Thawne for a long time. I love the character but he is way over done and been dead/alive, dead/alive again way too many times. Give him a rest.

Extraordinary Member

The constant cycle of Batman pissing of the rest of the Batfamily and going solo, than bringing them back together, than being a jerk again ...

Also Batman loosing his money/company has also been done to many times.

In case of Damian him periodically going rogue, should also stop.
    Last edited by Aahz; 10-22-2020 at 07:57 AM.