Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast

Superman Turning Evil: Tired, Derivative, Boring, Obnoxious.

Batman Turning Evil: Fresh, Sexy, Exciting!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    Not to get derailed on this, there are cues to look for up close. A lot depends on what racial mixing is involved and if either parent has additional mixing. I think the strangest example I saw was Green Arrow's son who has an asian mom I believe. He was literally brown with light blonde hair and green eyes...not believable at all. XS (Flash granddaughter from the future) looks black. Nu Wally had freckles but they disappeared (though black people have freckles too). In the comics you just have to suspend belief and go with it.

Another cliche is changing sexuality of a previous hetero character and making them gay or 'ambiguous' out of nowhere just to pander. If this is supposed to make them more interesting and 'hip' it ain't working. If anything its annoying.

Oh, almost forgot this classic: the bald black dude.
    To be clear, his mom was half-black, half-Korean. The blonde hair and green eyes would be odd but it isn't the strangest thing you'd see in a superhero universe in fairness.

I've always hated the cliche of the Guardians of the Universe being dicks. It undermines the whole concept of the GLC. Even if we disagree with them by our standards, they should still be seen as focused on The Big Picture, which can be frustrating, but there should at least be some wisdom there and I'm tired of them portrayed as control-freaks. We'll see if this new version of young Guardians are any better or if some writer will eventually fall back to that old chestnut.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-26-2020 at 11:45 PM.

C-list or lower characters getting killed off or maimed to hype up a villain.

Attempts to rein in superheroes being portrayed as a bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I've always hated the cliche of the Guardians of the Universe being dicks. It undermines the whole concept of the GLC. Even if we disagree with them by our standards, they should still be seen as focused on The Big Picture, which can be frustrating, but there should at least be some wisdom there and I'm tired of them portrayed as control-freaks. We'll see if this new version of young Guardians are any better or if some writer will eventually fall back to that old chestnut.
    I agree with you. I miss the (now very long ago) good Guardians.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Leave the cosmic treadmill alone!

Ok, the visual could use some updating. But I'd argue that its recent abandonment has made time-travel this willy nilly plot device that gets abused to no end.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I like this one. The stories that question their authority are cool, but they start to lose steam if the concept is abused to the point that the Guardians just seem like unsympathetic dictators.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

This is more of a "general issues with Superhero comics" but I'm really sick of a character's 'Greatest Hits' constantly getting recycled in stories ad nauseum. I say this because I was reading Three Jokers today and it made me realized how much I am burnt out on Jason Todd. Nothing against the character itself but he's now been revived for over 15 years and he's been caught in this constant state of writers going back to the well of him getting sent down a dark path because of Death in the Family.

Same thing with writers constantly beating the dead horse of making Damian have to relearn to stop being an ******* and abandon his assassin upbringing.

Same for all the "Am I still a human" stories they constantly do with Cyborg.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    To be fair, it's a popular hairstyle.
    In the 90s. Been 'out' a few years. Dreds and braids now.

Of course bald heads are easy to draw versus textured hair. And can't forget the cliche goatee that goes with the egg head! MWAA HAA HAAAAA

Two cliches that really grind me...Barry (my mom is DEEEEAD!!) and the 'dead parents in alley falling pearls image" bit for Bruce. UGH.
    Last edited by BooCoo; 10-27-2020 at 09:50 AM.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

This is more of a "general issues with Superhero comics" but I'm really sick of a character's 'Greatest Hits' constantly getting recycled in stories ad nauseum.
    Absolutely. And glad you mentioned Cyborg. All the Raven, Vic, and Kory all suffered from this, presumably due to writer's block at first, and then later redone because they were big, successful stories the first time.

I don't disagree about Damian at all. You're probably correct about Jason, but I'm not really into anti-heroes, so don't read him much. Oh, and how about Bruce and Joe Chill? Wasn't even a big story the first time, was it?

And Arthur and losing the throne?
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-27-2020 at 09:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    This is more of a "general issues with Superhero comics" but I'm really sick of a character's 'Greatest Hits' constantly getting recycled in stories ad nauseum. I say this because I was reading Three Jokers today and it made me realized how much I am burnt out on Jason Todd. Nothing against the character itself but he's now been revived for over 15 years and he's been caught in this constant state of writers going back to the well of him getting sent down a dark path because of Death in the Family.

Same thing with writers constantly beating the dead horse of making Damian have to relearn to stop being an ******* and abandon his assassin upbringing.

Same for all the "Am I still a human" stories they constantly do with Cyborg.
    This along with "Joker Immunity".

Being popular shouldn't stop writers from getting rid of villains.

Been lurking since '08 Marik Swift's Avatar

ANYTHING to do with the multiverse.

Which includes:
    time travel
    "crisis" events
    AU characters

Seriously, can DC even write a story anymore that doesn't involve the multiverse in someway. Stop. Just stop. Please. Tell interesting present day stories and you shouldn't have to be digging into that well to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post

Which includes:
    time travel
    "crisis" events
    AU characters

Seriously, can DC even write a story anymore that doesn't involve the multiverse in someway. Stop. Just stop. Please. Tell interesting present day stories and you shouldn't have to be digging into that well to begin with.
    I agree with this. I'm tired of it. An ongoing in the same universe (like the old Earth Two) would be fine. As long it stayed contained and didn't mix with ours (I mostly wasn't a fan of the yearly JSA/JLA crossovers in the old books, anyway).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-27-2020 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marik Swift View Post

Which includes:
    time travel
    "crisis" events
    AU characters

Funny, from what I'm reading from DC, only Aquaman don't have any multiverse on it.

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post
    The Joker presented as some uber complex, cool image psycological manipulator
    So much this. Its not interesting anymore. Its just pretentious.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Absolutely. And glad you mentioned Cyborg. All the Raven, Vic, and Kory all suffered from this, presumably due to writer's block at first, and then later redone because they were big, successful stories the first time.

I don't disagree about Damian at all. You're probably correct about Jason, but I'm not really into anti-heroes, so don't read him much. Oh, and how about Bruce and Joe Chill? Wasn't even a big story the first time, was it?

And Arthur and losing the throne?
    I honestly don’t know how Atlantis functions as a nation at this point...