Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Thinking about it some more, the idea of an "ultimate hero" doesn't do any character any good. Writers forget that they themselves are not perfect and cannot write perfect characters. Just writer the heroes sympathetically and understand that they will make mistakes some times.
    But who is asking for perfect characters from perfect writers? Continuing to use Superman as an example, the whole point of his escapist fantasy is being true to his convictions and doing the impossible. that doesnt mean he doesnt have layers or personal flaws, especially in interpersonal dynamics.

Maggins "Miracle Monday" novel is really good at this. Writers aren't perfect, and i wouldnt say they automatically suck if they cant do this, but it may mean they are just not suited for a particular character.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    But who is asking for perfect characters from perfect writers? Continuing to use Superman as an example, the whole point of his escapist fantasy is being true to his convictions and doing the impossible. that doesnt mean he doesnt have layers or personal flaws, especially in interpersonal dynamics.

Maggins "Miracle Monday" novel is really good at this. Writers aren't perfect, and i wouldnt say they automatically suck if they cant do this, but it may mean they are just not suited for a particular character.
    The ultimate hero by definition is seen as perfect.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The ultimate hero by definition is seen as perfect.
    Which definition where?

Obviously from this thread alone, we have people who are perceiving it differently and pointing out stories where we feel Superman lives up to the title (or comes damn close to it) but still has character quirks and flaws.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I'm a big fan of Zoom! And his relationship to Wally. I think I wasn't clear; I meant we didn't need Daniel West as the new "Reverse Flash".

Godspeed had a different thing going, but he was still an evil speedster. Not a terrible character, but to me a bit cliched and was designed to mirror the aspects of Barry's new origin that I do not like.
    Daniel kind of ended up being a means to an end of giving Thawne a break and introducing Wallace as the next Kid Flash. At least that's how I look at it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

The multiverse should be more of a hard sci fi concept and not just "Hey look it's Superman but he has a mullet on this world!". Its become way too much of a nostalgia trip, and a continuity yarn, rather than an interesting look at different dimensions and time/space.

Grim/dark story lines. Especially the over reliance on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Well, after DCeased and Dark Metal, I'm afraid they're just going to do more.

Yes, this. So much.

You're probably right. What sells, sells....is Dark Metal selling well? I know DCeased did.

While I would like fro them to take break from constant events, the truth is they made not need to. Last I saw, those still outsold regular issues, and they are a business. But I'm tired of them.

Superman can't function unless he's surrounded by familial tethers.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Alas, I fear it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    I really hope not. DC right now is just about unreadable

Alas, I fear it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I really hope not. DC right now is just about unreadable
    Maybe Future State will get DC back to more traditional hero/villain stories. I hope they do because the corrupted hero stories are tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Yes, this. So much.

You're probably right. What sells, sells....is Dark Metal selling well? I know DCeased did.

While I would like fro them to take break from constant events, the truth is they made not need to. Last I saw, those still outsold regular issues, and they are a business. But I'm tired of them.
    Per Scott Snyder Death Metal is outselling Metal (which was already the second best selling DC event behind Infinite Crisis) and all of the Death Metal issues have sold out (dunno if that means tie-ins as well). I do not think the BWL will be gone after this event. Maybe for a little while but not forever.

Also I expect Taylor will be writing Injustice 3 and DCeased 3 as well, so there will be plenty of edge and death in DC’s future.

Whole lotta pizza cutters in DC's future
    edge.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Per Scott Snyder Death Metal is outselling Metal (which was already the second best selling DC event behind Infinite Crisis) and all of the Death Metal issues have sold out (dunno if that means tie-ins as well). I do not think the BWL will be gone after this event. Maybe for a little while but not forever.

Also I expect Taylor will be writing Injustice 3 and DCeased 3 as well, so there will be plenty of edge and death in DC’s future.
    Well, the tie-in comic at the very least.

Look forward to Harley inexplicably surviving everything in 2021 .