Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, the tie-in comic at the very least.

Look forward to Harley inexplicably surviving everything in 2021 .
    Yeah I meant the comic. I wouldn’t mind a bit of edge with Murderman sending Harley to Hell with her boyfriend . Injustice Harley joining the JL angers me waaaaay more than mainline Harley doing that.

All that said I don’t mind “dark” stories. There have been a lot of great ones. But stuff like Ric sucks because it wasn’t “here’s a story I want to tell” but instead “here’s an editorial mandate I must fulfill” and that rarely works out (unless you’re Al Ewing). If there must be dark stories let them come from the writers pitches and not the editors mandates.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Per Scott Snyder Death Metal is outselling Metal (which was already the second best selling DC event behind Infinite Crisis) and all of the Death Metal issues have sold out (dunno if that means tie-ins as well). I do not think the BWL will be gone after this event. Maybe for a little while but not forever.

Also I expect Taylor will be writing Injustice 3 and DCeased 3 as well, so there will be plenty of edge and death in DC’s future.
    Looking forward to the bold new ways NRS and Taylor will find ways to toss Diana under the bus in Injustice 3 and DCeased.

Yeah I meant the comic. I wouldn’t mind a bit of edge with Murderman sending Harley to Hell with her boyfriend . Injustice Harley joining the JL angers me waaaaay more than mainline Harley doing that.

All that said I don’t mind “dark” stories. There have been a lot of great ones. But stuff like Ric sucks because it wasn’t “here’s a story I want to tell” but instead “here’s an editorial mandate I must fulfill” and that rarely works out (unless you’re Al Ewing). If there must be dark stories let them come from the writers pitches and not the editors mandates.
    The worst thing about Ric, is that it could be a great story if done right, and by right I mean story that the creative team of Nightwing wanted to tell and not the fallout of a Batman story, that drove Ben Percy out of the comic.

Per Scott Snyder Death Metal is outselling Metal (which was already the second best selling DC event behind Infinite Crisis) and all of the Death Metal issues have sold out (dunno if that means tie-ins as well). I do not think the BWL will be gone after this event. Maybe for a little while but not forever.

Also I expect Taylor will be writing Injustice 3 and DCeased 3 as well, so there will be plenty of edge and death in DC’s future.
    Those two are at least elseworlds, so we should be fine as long as that stuff isn't in main continuity.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    The multiverse should be more of a hard sci fi concept and not just "Hey look it's Superman but he has a mullet on this world!". Its become way too much of a nostalgia trip, and a continuity yarn, rather than an interesting look at different dimensions and time/space.
    Great point, the concept should be more richly executed.

Dark based characters are uber everything, universal, clever, dangerous. Top tier regardless of power. Violent or broken family ties.

Light based characters are overly moral, overly trusting, gullible, naive. Mop up tier regardless of power. 60s sitcom family ties.

Bat/Cat trope. There is no Bruce/Selina trope. Earth 2 works, Earth 0 not so much.

Cliche forced relationships because of trope and/or the past (i.e pre-Crisis) also known as the 'love of all ages' bit

The Joker presented as some uber complex, cool image psycological manipulator

Powered heroes backing down from non powered ones to make things seem equal.

Powered heroes admiring the ground Batman walks on, the air he breathes.

Batman symbolism forced into everything, even other power sets.

Batman who laughs. Why not just a giant Bruce wayne in stupid cosmic armor?

Speedsters constantly losing their powers or having them siphoned away with ease. Joke of a power set.

Bi racial characters shown as black from laziness and convenience. Nu Wally even lost his freckles. Go outside and pay attention!

Cosmic treadmill is 50s cornball, a bad visual and needs to retire. Does supes need a power pack to locate other worlds?

Support characters who dominate a main character's book to 'round them out'.

Primary colors good (red, yellow, blue)

Secondary colors evil (green, purple, orange)

Black this and Dark that. How about universal conquest based on light and control?

Zombie and dead stuff. Don't get the obsession.

Dime a dozen speedsters.

Nightwings ass. Nice, but he has competition.

Batman can never have a stable relationship that balances him out.
    Last edited by BooCoo; 10-26-2020 at 08:13 AM.
    Professional KoOk, available nine days a week.

Quote Originally Posted by BooCoo View Post

Black this and Dark that. How about universal conquest based on light and control?
    Sorry, what do you mean by this?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Sorry, what do you mean by this?
    I think they mean about how instead of the dark and edgy being the default to be the ones conquering the universe they could try having the "light" want to conquer the universe either for "their own good" or done by people that look like people that the audience would think is good instead of the standard conquering is evil so only obviously evil/dark and edgy do that. I think they may be wanting for more stories that pull the Light is Not Good instead of the default and easy Dark is Evil

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    I think they mean about how instead of the dark and edgy being the default to be the ones conquering the universe they could try having the "light" want to conquer the universe either for "their own good" or done by people that look like people that the audience would think is good instead of the standard conquering is evil so only obviously evil/dark and edgy do that. I think they may be wanting for more stories that pull the Light is Not Good instead of the default and easy Dark is Evil
    That's not really any better since it's an overused cliche in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by PD98 View Post
    Exactly. There is no opposite to anti monitor, Darkseid, or even a hero who obtains god like power. What if a light based being wanted to re order the universe for everyone's 'own good.' Kind of like a take on the Lords of order/chaos. I think DC just likes using lots of dark color with ugly/edgy/busy character designs.

Batman Ruling over the entire DC Comic Universe.

Astonishing Member

Exactly. There is no opposite to anti monitor, Darkseid, or even a hero who obtains god like power. What if a light based being wanted to re order the universe for everyone's 'own good.' Kind of like a take on the Lords of order/chaos. I think DC just likes using lots of dark color with ugly/edgy/busy character designs.
    There are characters that are like that, but they're seen for what they are: evil.

Bi racial characters shown as black from laziness and convenience. Nu Wally even lost his freckles. Go outside and pay attention.
    To be fair plenty of Biracial people look like other non-biracial black people.

Aside from DJ Khalid who obviously isn't black. I doubt most people can tell who is biracial just off a pic and with no prior knowledge.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    To be fair plenty of Biracial people look like other non-biracial black people.

Aside from DJ Khalid who obviously isn't black. I doubt most people can tell who is biracial just off a pic and with no prior knowledge.
    Not to get derailed on this, there are cues to look for up close. A lot depends on what racial mixing is involved and if either parent has additional mixing. I think the strangest example I saw was Green Arrow's son who has an asian mom I believe. He was literally brown with light blonde hair and green eyes...not believable at all. XS (Flash granddaughter from the future) looks black. Nu Wally had freckles but they disappeared (though black people have freckles too). In the comics you just have to suspend belief and go with it.

Another cliche is changing sexuality of a previous hetero character and making them gay or 'ambiguous' out of nowhere just to pander. If this is supposed to make them more interesting and 'hip' it ain't working. If anything its annoying.

Oh, almost forgot this classic: the bald black dude.
    Last edited by BooCoo; 10-26-2020 at 06:11 PM.

Astonishing Member

Oh, almost forgot this classic: the bald black dude.
    To be fair, it's a popular hairstyle.