Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I strongly agree with neverending continuity-altering events, evil Superman, man-hating Amazons, meaningless character deaths, Gotham getting destroyed, redeeming (female) villains, and Superman making ham-fisted speeches that don't pay off through equally highlighted action.

As for the Flashes, there are a lot. The Speed Force is abused. I like it as a concept, but they just do lots of weird things with it that don't affect the plot in any interesting way. It's not a special divine force that can only be entered for a special high-risk occasion, it's just a rudimentary thing now. The fact they added more forces on top of it was ridiculous.

Everyone knows I hate Barry's dead mom and the weird guilt/trauma it saddled Barry with.

And I agree about there being too many speedster villains. They chilled out on it recently, but we had Reverse Flash, and we had Hunter Zolomon. We didn't need a new Reverse Flash, and while he was alright, Godspeed really wasn't necessary. It's more interesting when speed has to overcome different arrays of powers.

More broadly, having the League live through tragic backstories and making the villain directly tied to their origin is so overdone. Not sure why Johns in particular is obsessed with it. Kyle's mother was killed by Sinestro/Parallax, Arthur and Manta killed each other's dads, Thawne killed Nora, fucking enough already.

cheap resurrection and fake retirements. you die or retire in the main-line, that's it, shift their stories going forward out of continuity. I'm tired off "nothing will be the same" just to quietly undo it. If Alfred comes back at all (at least in the next 5 years) I'm not reading any story with him in it
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

More broadly, having the League live through tragic backstories and making the villain directly tied to their origin is so overdone. Not sure why Johns in particular is obsessed with it. Kyle's mother was killed by Sinestro/Parallax, Arthur and Manta killed each other's dads, Thawne killed Nora, fucking enough already.
    Oh, I hate adding villains in backstories where they never were originally. I don't even like the Sinestro/Hal history. Though maybe I would have if I'd been exposed to before it happened so many times (only started reading DC in 2015). My personal pet peeve, though not quite the same, is having the Court of Owls (and we didn't really need another secret organization in Gotham) tied to Dick Grayson's family/history. Hate it. Don't like what it did Pop, basically on principle. But lots of people love it.

BANNED

I never got on well with super battle ready Wonder Woman with the shield and sword. The shield is pretty redundant when she has her bracelets.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Oh, I hate adding villains in backstories where they never were originally. I don't even like the Sinestro/Hal history. Though maybe I would have if I'd been exposed to before it happened so many times (only started reading DC in 2015). My personal pet peeve, though not quite the same, is having the Court of Owls (and we didn't really need another secret organization in Gotham) tied to Dick Grayson's family/history. Hate it. Don't like what it did Pop, basically on principle. But lots of people love it.
    I think I really only like three instances of superheroes knowing one of their arch villains before the turn:

Pre-COIE Clark and Lex
    Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent
    Diana and Barbara Minerva, because the latter didn't really work as a character before it (even then Rucka executed the basic idea better than Johns). I wouldn't want it for Priscilla Rich though.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    I never got on well with super battle ready Wonder Woman with the shield and sword. The shield is pretty redundant when she has her bracelets.
    Absolutely. There is no gear better than the lasso, tiara, and bracelets and the truncated armor from volume two (which is not cloth but metal)

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    And I agree about there being too many speedster villains. They chilled out on it recently, but we had Reverse Flash, and we had Hunter Zolomon. We didn't need a new Reverse Flash, and while he was alright, Godspeed really wasn't necessary. It's more interesting when speed has to overcome different arrays of powers.
    Zoom came after Thawne was long dead and has an entirely different relationship with Wally than Thawne had with Barry, and Godspeed is kind of his own thing instead of just being an evil Speedster like the Reverse-Flashes.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Zoom came after Thawne was long dead and has an entirely different relationship with Wally than Thawne had with Barry, and Godspeed is kind of his own thing instead of just being an evil Speedster like the Reverse-Flashes.
    It really hard to come up with convincing villains for speedsters. Turning the rogue’s into an organized gang really helped them. Because most of them to be honest shouldn’t really last very long against the Flash. But if you lump their particular skill sets together, they can be pretty formidable to anyone.

I think the reason why their are so many villainous speedsters comes Down to the fact that the best Individual opponent for A speedster is another speedster.

Dick Grayson having a growing list of one shot love interests

Damian Wayne having daddy issues related storylines unless it brings something new.n(His reaction to Alfred's death is understandable though).
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Would that really make them convert? If anything, that would only strengthen their faith. Christians have indisputable proof that god exists thanks to guys like Spectre and Zauriel.
    Zauriel lasted five minutes in the DCU and Spectre isn't one to give press conferences. Plus, Greek Gods give powers to to people. Wonder Woman, Shazam, Cassie, etc.
    Being a "Person of Interest" doesn't make you an interesting person.

Batman telling other heroes to get out of his city.

Joker is in love with Batman.

Joker is just SOOOO crazy that NOBODY can predict what he's going to do!

You can tell Wonder Woman is serious this time, because she brought a sword!

Batman has to save a villains life because they aren't guilty of that one particular crime or because somebody they've actually harmed in the past is now after them.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I think I really only like three instances of superheroes knowing one of their arch villains before the turn:

Pre-COIE Clark and Lex
    Bruce Wayne and Harvey Dent
    Diana and Barbara Minerva, because the latter didn't really work as a character before it (even then Rucka executed the basic idea better than Johns). I wouldn't want it for Priscilla Rich though.
    I'd say Barbara worked fine before as a deconstruction of the Indiana Jones archetype. The problem is the later writers never leaned into that.

Mighty Member

I have to agree with the Superman turning evil angle, that's been done to death.

It's almost like people can't handle having this perfect all round good person as the chief superhero. Personally I think that's a bonus for the DCU.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I have to agree with the Superman turning evil angle, that's been done to death.

It's almost like people can't handle having this perfect all round good person as the chief superhero. Personally I think that's a bonus for the DCU.
    Westerners like subversion.

A “bad guy who turns good” is worth more than a “good guy who is good”. The same with a “bad guy who turns good”.

The problem is that when you use a shocking twist enough times, it becomes expected.

Magic is dying! - I think every single DCU magic team has had this as their opening arc. I hope Ram V stays away from it after he wraps up the Upside Down Man arc, and I hope DC Mystic as a whole avoids this boring cliche.
    Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post

It’s funny because people still say Supes is perfect despite pretty much all of his stories for the last couple of decades being about how flawed he is.
    Young Justice - Is a dick to Kon and takes an entire season to realize he needs to reach out to Kon
    DCAU - He screws up spectacularly in the finale of STAS, and the Cadmus arc in JLU is all about him making mistake after mistake
    Injustice - He’s evil
    Rocksteady SS - He’s evil (albeit under mind control)
    DCEU - Is a colossal failure as a hero and is going to be evil until Batman saves the day
    Smallville - Oh boy does he have to be dragged kicking and screaming towards being Superman
    I don’t know how anyone can still view him as perfect since the last time he was portrayed in an unabashedly positive light was uh Donner maybe? At some point they need to let him actually be the “ultimate” hero because their deconstruction hard on has made him look pretty crappy.