Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Superior Spider-clone SpideyClone's Avatar

Default Cardiac - Healthcare terrorist?!? Spoilers

Only mentioning because he was a Spider-man villain, but in Iron Man #2 out this week, Cardiac makes an appearance. He's branded as a healthcare terrorist who holds a bunch of pharma scientists while he monologues threatening to kill them for profiting off the poor, etc. Seemed out of character to me, and hopefully not indicative of a new direction for the character going forward.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyClone View Post
    Only mentioning because he was a Spider-man villain, but in Iron Man #2 out this week, Cardiac makes an appearance. He's branded as a healthcare terrorist who holds a bunch of pharma scientists while he monologues threatening to kill them for profiting off the poor, etc. Seemed out of character to me, and hopefully not indicative of a new direction for the character going forward.
    I really hope Marvel does not go in that direction. Comics should be a form of escapism from what is going on in the real world. I do not care if I agree or disagree with an issue. If I want politics there is CNN, Fox and MSNBC and they offer that 24/7.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I really hope Marvel does not go in that direction. Comics should be a form of escapism from what is going on in the real world. I do not care if I agree or disagree with an issue. If I want politics there is CNN, Fox and MSNBC and they offer that 24/7.
    Comics have always been political through, they literally started off as Propoganda.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Comics have always been political through, they literally started off as Propoganda.
    I understand that. But should there be alternatives for those who work hard ( on the job and ( or) school), and need a break. I am not voting for or against anyone because celebrities ( like the stars of the Avengers) want me to vote that way. For example: Both Slott and Spencer are of the same political persuasion ( liberal), but all I care about is how well ( or poorly) they write Spider-Man. That should be the standard for any mainstream comic book.

I have no problem with politics in comics, since it has a good story and nice characters too.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

I guess if politics shouldn't be in comics then Captain America and the X-Men should be exorcised entirely from Marvel as a whole then.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    I guess if politics shouldn't be in comics then Captain America and the X-Men should be exorcised entirely from Marvel as a whole then.
    No one said cancel those comics. I admit I do not like X-Men ( except Wolverine), and can take or leave cap. The only comics I ever liked were Spider-Man, Daredevil, Thor Abe Fantastic Four. I like well done villains like Otto and Lizard and Logan, MJ, Miles and Felicia as characters. The rest do not interest me.
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 10-22-2020 at 08:17 AM.

Mighty Member

Even Spider-Man has gotten involved in politics, there's the story from Spectacular Spider-Man #1 (which was in turn, retold in Amazing #116-118).
    Even Daredevil got more politically aware during Ann Nocenti's run.

I feel like you enjoy a very limited scope of characters, I mean I like Otto, but I wouldn't say he was exactly well done in the comics, he is just some mad scientist type.
    Norman Osborn/Green Goblin is a much more interesting character in my opinion who was actually fairly well written in his earliest appearances.

No one is saying you can't take a break and enjoy these stories, I mean I do too, and I feel the way most comics handle political issues are in such a way that you can still enjoy escapism entertainment. I hate to tell you through, almost all stories are political, especially stories involving action.
    I mean the Punisher himself is a comment on Police Brutality, and look how popular he has become.

I'm not going to comment on politics in comics but this feels like a disingenuous way of using Cardiac. He's never been this extreme from what I remember.

I thought he was reformed? His last appearance before this was in Valkyrie: Jane Foster #7 working alongside several medical superheroes.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Disappointed to hear that someone who wants people to have healthcare is portrayed as a villain and terrorist. Although, to be fair, if you were to include this villain anywhere it would be in Iron Man since he is to the right of most superheroes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Disappointed to hear that someone who wants people to have healthcare is portrayed as a villain and terrorist. Although, to be fair, if you were to include this villain anywhere it would be in Iron Man since he is to the right of most superheroes.
    Although I think he's a lefty where it counts in my opinion.

Does sound different then what the character was before. On the other hand, comics change stuff all the time. Bet this'll be forgotten when they want Cardiac to go back to normal for other stories.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Even Spider-Man has gotten involved in politics, there's the story from Spectacular Spider-Man #1 (which was in turn, retold in Amazing #116-118).

I feel like you enjoy a very limited scope of characters, I mean I like Otto, but I wouldn't say he was exactly well done in the comics, he is just some mad scientist type.
    Norman Osborn/Green Goblin is a much more interesting character in my opinion who was actually fairly well written in his earliest appearances.

No one is saying you can't take a break and enjoy these stories, I mean I do too, and I feel the way most comics handle political issues are in such a way that you can still enjoy escapism entertainment. I hate to tell you through, almost all stories are political, especially stories involving action.
    I mean the Punisher himself is a comment on Police Brutality, and look how popular he has become.
    No one sees Punisher as a comment on police brutality; especially notable since absolutely no one sees him as any sort of police or superhero.

Astonishing Member

I can tell you I never liked X-Men ( even as a kid who did not pick up on hidden messages). Why? I found characters and Professor X to be preachy and boring. Now I understand there are politics involved with certain stories just like there bad stories. My problem becomes when the writer forgets the purpose is to entertain the readers, not to push his or her viewpoint. I got that impression with Slott and his snarky comments and his stories. I go back to Jackpot. He knew exactly what the reaction from readers would be. He also knows that the Charlie Brown comparison to Peter and the Silk arc ( which ended Spider-Man for me until he left the book), would have a negative reaction.