Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Does sound different then what the character was before. On the other hand, comics change stuff all the time. Bet this'll be forgotten when they want Cardiac to go back to normal for other stories.
    Yeah, though still...OOC writing is still OOC writing.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    l
    That is Slott’s speciality OOC writing. Especially Peter and Felicia

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    l
    That is Slott’s speciality OOC writing. Especially Peter and Felicia
    Slott's not writing Iron Man anymore. Christopher Cantwell is.

Slott actually wrote Cardiac respectfully from what I remember.

This part was the weak part of the issue to me. I'm not even a Cardiac fan and I just thought it was a weak conflict for Iron Man to get involved in.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-22-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Slott's not writing Iron Man anymore. Christopher Cantwell is.

Slott actually wrote Cardiac respectfully from what I remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    This part was the weak part of the issue to me.
    Yeah, that is a shame, especially given that Cardiac originally was a commentary on how corporations use their power and influence to manipulate and corrupt the law so that they never have to face justice or otherwise account for the harm they inflict on others in the name of maintaining their bottom line and increasing their profits. Having him as an outright terrorist as opposed to a vigilante targeting people who assume their wealth makes them untouchable by the law . . . not the best look, especially not now. With luck, he'll probably be retconned as an impostor who thought the real Cardiac didn't go far enough in his crusade.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Fantastic Member

Marvel tends to be pretty terrible about continuity the characterization of lesser known characters, heck that's the entire purpose of Batroc in Gwenpool. By all accounts Cardiac was and had been reformed for years, but if the editorial doesnt stop it, goofy stuff like this happens. It couldve been any number of marvel characters or a new character, but they lazily opted to go with a character that is associated with the medical field ignoring the continuity of the character itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    Marvel tends to be pretty terrible about continuity the characterization of lesser known characters, heck that's the entire purpose of Batroc in Gwenpool. By all accounts Cardiac was and had been reformed for years, but if the editorial doesnt stop it, goofy stuff like this happens. It couldve been any number of marvel characters or a new character, but they lazily opted to go with a character that is associated with the medical field ignoring the continuity of the character itself.
    Exactly, and what makes it so insulting is that Cardiac was a character who used his medical expertise and other abilities to crusade for justice and better health on behalf of those who lacked the same resources that the wealthy and corrupt possessed to bend the law in their favor or get the best healthcare available for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    No one sees Punisher as a comment on police brutality; especially notable since absolutely no one sees him as any sort of police or superhero.
    Remember a guy online who did.

Sure; I've just reached the point where I've accepted that sometimes characters will get twisted for the sake of the current story and that if I wait, things will often get straightened out (OMD notwithstanding).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Kingkalamari View Post
    these authors need to use the wiki more or at the very least have a database on where the said character was used last time. That way it should be mandatory for these authors to read on these characters last appearance
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Jman27 View Post
    these authors need to use the wiki more or at the very least have a database on where the said character was used last time. That way it should be mandatory for these authors to read on these characters last appearance
    Interestingly, I heard recently that some comic editors and authors DO read from the wikis to catch up on the characters. Just because they figure "If the fans did it for us, why do it again?"

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Interestingly, I heard recently that some comic editors and authors DO read from the wikis to catch up on the characters. Just because they figure "If the fans did it for us, why do it again?"
    but not even the wikis are updated as enough for the low tier characters
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

iMan 42s

No one sees Punisher as a comment on police brutality; especially notable since absolutely no one sees him as any sort of police or superhero.
    That statement is beyond ridiculous because not only do the police in the real world come under the impression Punisher is a hero no less something to be idolized, but Punisher in universe is guilty of the same things the police have. The excessive usage of lethal force is looked away from simply by virtue of the fact that Punisher has friends in high places and to the hero community (in-universe legal authority) being what it is sees him as an asset. Punisher is in bad taste for a reason.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    That statement is beyond ridiculous because not only do the police in the real world come under the impression Punisher is a hero no less something to be idolized, but Punisher in universe is guilty of the same things the police have. The excessive usage of lethal force is looked away from simply by virtue of the fact that Punisher has friends in high places and to the hero community (in-universe legal authority) being what it is sees him as an asset. Punisher is in bad taste for a reason.
    I take it you wouldn’t be a fan of the Punisher anyways. That’s fair; neither am I, but on the TV forum where we discussed “Police Brutality”, most commenters described a disconnect between Punisher and the police, so I don’t feel like it’s that.

It’s only when the police themselves are taking those sorts of measures that people seem to complain.

I take it you wouldn’t be a fan of the Punisher anyways. That’s fair; neither am I, but on the TV forum where we discussed “Police Brutality”, most commenters described a disconnect between Punisher and the police, so I don’t feel like it’s that.

It’s only when the police themselves are taking those sorts of measures that people seem to complain.
    Pretty much, because the Punisher is an unsanctioned vigilante and therefore already a criminal, albeit one who targets (other) criminals, whereas the police are civil servants authorized by the government to enforce laws and maintain order, so there is a certain trust vested in them, unlike the Punisher, making it cause for concern when they adopt Punisher-style tactics and/or strategies to "fight crime."

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Pretty much, because the Punisher is an unsanctioned vigilante and therefore already a criminal, albeit one who targets (other) criminals, whereas the police are civil servants authorized by the government to enforce laws and maintain order, so there is a certain trust vested in them, unlike the Punisher, making it cause for concern when they adopt Punisher-style tactics and/or strategies to "fight crime."
    To be honest, i think that comparing Frank with serial killers would be more accurate, because overall he is pretty much that, his targets just happen to be other criminals (or worse serial killers). He was also toned down a lot in the Netflix version.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona