Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Expand Or Add To The Powerset Of DC's Mid-Tier Supers

This is an exercise regarding DC's mid-tier supers: those superpowered heroes and villains that sit in-between the badass normals like Batman and high-level busters like Superman and Wonder Woman. How would you expand on or add to the powersets of those characters without increasing them to god-level?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-27-2020 at 07:02 AM.

Astonishing Member

Metal manipulation, lava manipulation and diamond manipulation/mimicry for Terra.

TTK with a YJ tv show based Conner Kent, on the showS, and the comics

I know this is just a thought exercise, but DC has a HUGE lack of depth in the mid tier dept., they really don’t need to be powered up imo.

I'd expand on Black Canary's sonic powers, making her more akin to Banshee/Siren from the X-men.

it's a little weird but go with me

I would give Duke Thomas two things, a black Signal version of his bulletproof We are Robin jacket (I loved that Duke's Robin set-up) and a reflective Nth metal mask what bolsters his photokinetic vision and allows him to see into people's heart like the Batman Who Laugh's visor; and all that other cool stat boosts that Hawkman says come with Nth Metal use. something reminiscent of Looking Glass.

Batman training, daredevil-esque senses, psuedo-empath abilities, and Cap level stats? that's a solid upper tier street-leveler and with his boosted photokinesis a possible Kryptonian fail-safe.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Astonishing Member

DC's Mid-Tier Supers

Could we have a list of who these are?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

I would give Duke Thomas two things, a black Signal version of his bulletproof We are Robin jacket (I loved that Duke's Robin set-up) and a reflective Nth metal mask what bolsters his photokinetic vision and allows him to see into people's heart like the Batman Who Laugh's visor; and all that other cool stat boosts that Hawkman says come with Nth Metal use. something reminiscent of Looking Glass.

Batman training, daredevil-esque senses, psuedo-empath abilities, and Cap level stats? that's a solid upper tier street-leveler and with his boosted photokinesis a possible Kryptonian fail-safe.
    I second this.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    DC's Mid-Tier Supers

Could we have a list of who these are?
    You can find some examples in this thread

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...s-Appreciation

I would give Black Canary the ability to detect sound waves and an audiographic memory to mimic voices It would be useful for stealth missions.

Macroverse Travelling for The Atom since he could all ready shrink down and travel to the microverse.

Gypsy (she needs a new codename) with the power to cross into dimensions and other locations.

Not exactly a power boost, but I would like the Hawks to have all the fighting prowess that their countless lives would give them. They lived several lives, in several cultures and they are always warriors, they learned countless combat styles, and have millions of years of experience. Forget Batman, Lady Shiva and Wonder Woman, those two should be DC's top fighters.

Speaking of the Hawks, I'd just give them some kind of long-range offensive weaponry. They can still have their maces, etc for close-quarter combat, but they need to be able to strike from a distance.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I second this.
    And I third it. Seems like it'd be fun and worth exploring the possibilities these additions would bring to The Signal.
    Last edited by J. D. Guy; 10-23-2020 at 04:54 PM.

Definitely Canary. She needs some sonic manipulation powers / super hearing besides the scream, even if she's still mainly a physical fighter.

Also, giving more relevance to the "bird" abilities of the Hawks, apart from just flying.

Finally, more than adding or expanding Zatanna's abilities, I'd ask DC to "define" them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jovan2013 View Post
    I would give Black Canary the ability to detect sound waves and an audiographic memory to mimic voices It would be useful for stealth missions.
    Expanding to have more utility functions (she's already got a kickass attack), could be fun. Heightened hearing. The ability to 'hum' a white noise that interferes with / cancels other sound in the area (essentially creating a zone of silence!). Sonar (both for fighting in the dark, or when her sight is impaired, and to tell what's in the box / behind the door, without opening it!). A tone that disorients someone (causing the fluid in their inner ear to vibrate, so that they have vertigo), possibly even one above or below the human hearing threshold, so that someone doesn't know why they suddenly feel dizzy when she's in the room and 'whistling' at them. Maybe a tone that makes someone suggestible, or a vocal trick that makes her commands extra unnerving, triggering the fight-or-flight response and making nervous or uncertain people prone to hastily do whatever she said before realizing she's not the boss of them?

All sorts of potential, that wouldn't hugely change the character, or make her 'better in a fight.' (Since she's already got that down.)

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Finally, more than adding or expanding Zatanna's abilities, I'd ask DC to "define" them.
    Yeah, definitely. Ages ago, in Who's Who, IIRC, it was suggested that her spells primarily revolved around manipulating the four elements, but they've never been consistent, and she's transmuted stuff and mind controlled people and done all sorts of stuff that has bupkiss to do with air, earth, fire and water.

Sometimes I think it's 'too late' for characters like Zatanna, who already have a list of feats a mile long, and that any writer introducing a *new* magical character at DC should instead write into the character bible, 'X knows three spells. This is what they do. Those are their three 'powers,' they can't just wave their hands and make any ridiculous thing you want happen! Eventually, they will learn a few more spells. I'll update this when that happens. Until then, stick to the established feats!'
    Last edited by Sutekh; 10-24-2020 at 07:14 AM.