Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The Three Types of Bat Sidekicks - Which is Your Favorite?

1. Bruce, You're Going Too Far! You're Too Paranoid Or Brutal

-Why Dick Grayson became Nightwing
    -Why Tim Drake Became Robin

2. Bruce, You're Not Going Far Enough! Your Rules/Morals Make You Soft

-Why Jason Todd Becomes Red Hood
    -Why Damian Wayne Conflicts With His Father

3. Bruce, You're Doing This Right. We Need You, And It's Fun To Tag Along

-Why Barbara Gordon Becomes Batgirl
    -Why Carrie Kelly Becomes Robin
    -Why Cassandra Cain Becomes Batgirl
    -Why Terry McGinnis Becomes Batman
    Last edited by SecretWarrior; 10-22-2020 at 11:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member

For some reason, for a second when I saw the thread title, I thought this was a debate about which kick Bruce should favor, a side snap kick, or a side thrust kick...

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

none of the above.

Dick becoming Nightwing doesn't belong in the same bracket as Tim becoming Robin WTf!

Tim Drake's Robin tenture was when the phrase BatJerk was coined so his presence did nothing since Bruce just got worse. Not to mention that batman needing a 13yr old to be his morality is seriously messed up and begs the question what is such a person doing fighting crime if you need a kid holding the leash.

+ the idea of Bruce endangering another person's kid after losing his own is seriously messed up. [Tim and Nightwing can't be grouped together because 1 is very harmful and mental abuse of a minor while the other is a sidekick becoming a man]

Option 2 Bruce doesn't have the right to kill he doesn't even have the right to fightcrime so that option has no legs.

Option 3 if i had to pick but none of the sidekicks in that bracket are my fav so none the above

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Probably none of the above, but the third would be the closest for me. I can appreciate all the sidekicks mentioned in that group, but Barbara is the only one I'm attached to.

So option 3 if it was just Dick and Babs.

Tim arguably fit option 3 as much as he fit option 1 because he believed in Batman and he enjoyed being Robin with Batman.

I think number three; more lighthearted supporting characters contrast Batman's seriousness better.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Never thought Batman needed a sidekick after the fifties tbh. It made sense when writers thought that kids needed a character like them to enjoy the book but not today.

I did like Tim, Jason, Carrie, Cassandra, and Terry though. Liked Dick more as Nightwing when he was on his own. Liked Barbara as Oracle. Couldn't get into Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Never thought Batman needed a sidekick after the fifties tbh. It made sense when writers thought that kids needed a character like them to enjoy the book but not today.

I did like Tim, Jason, Carrie, Cassandra, and Terry though. Liked Dick more as Nightwing when he was on his own. Liked Barbara as Oracle. Couldn't get into Damian.
    I think sidekicks have become kind of ubiquitous to the DCU, and their story dynamic and potential has moved past just being kid appeal characters.

Default THE ONE BAT SIDE KICKS Narrative that maters-

You left off the only one that maters.

A. Dick Grayson Robin taking on his Parents murderers alone, somersaulting, kicking, slingshotting, and tossing them off scaffolding one by one, to their deaths, going to far, until Batman has to come in and save one to confess, before Robin kills them all. Bruce seeing what he himself could have become in Robin , reals him in so he doesn't become that.

= Why Batman, became Batman & Robin.
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-28-2023 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

A. Dick Grayson Robin taking on his Parents murderers alone, somersaulting, kicking, slingshotting, and tossing the off scaffolding to their deaths, one by one, going to far, until Batman has to come in and save one before Robin kills them all, to confess. Bruce seeing what he himself could have become in Robin , reals him in so he doesn't become that.

- Why Batman became Batman & Robin,
    Agree with this. Grouping Tim and Nightwing together makes no sense and shouldn't be an option since they are not at all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

A. Dick Grayson Robin taking on his Parents murderers alone, somersaulting, kicking, slingshotting, and tossing them off scaffolding one by one, to their deaths, going to far, until Batman has to come in and save one before Robin kills them all, to confess. Bruce seeing what he himself could have become in Robin , reals him in so he doesn't become that.

- Why Batman became Batman & Robin,
    Wait, has that actually been depicted as Robin's origin?

OP Question -

Option 2 and Option 3 are my picks. I hate the "edgy" brutal side-kick trope, If you're going to do such a thing with a character send them off on their own ASAP (see Jason Todd post-resurrection following his brief stint as Robin).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Incredible Member

Bette Kane became Batgirl to help her aunt out
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

My favorite is
    Option 4 - I'm pretty much doing my own thing but I appreciate the support that comes with being your protege, Bruce.

How Duke Thomas made himself a "Robin" his own way, rejected the moniker when he finally earned the training from Batman, and then became the Signal.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-22-2020 at 07:00 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Option 1: Robin being the laid back/comical sidekick to strict hero Batman, Robin being in Bruce's life helps him as much as it helps them.