Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why don't Marvel comics get adapted into animated films like DC comics do?

DC always get mostly comic faithful storylines adapted into animated films with Batman and Superman, for example. It pisses me off that Marvel doesn't do the same thing.

For example, we could have like Kraven's Last Hunt from Spider-Man adapted. It seems to make people less familiar with the characters as they are in the actual comics, and only know about the MCU versions.

What's up with that?

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Because Marvel doesn't have time to churn out 40 DTV Batman movies

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    DC always get mostly comic faithful storylines adapted into animated films with Batman and Superman, for example. It pisses me off that Marvel doesn't do the same thing.

For example, we could have like Kraven's Last Hunt from Spider-Man adapted. It seems to make people less familiar with the characters as they are in the actual comics, and only know about the MCU versions.

What's up with that?
    Marvel's corporation historically always sees adaptations as primarily a means to spread their licenses to spin merch. They see adaptations like cartoons, games, movies (somewhat) as

A) Advertisements for the IP, first
    B) Actual creative endeavors, second.

This applies to almost any cartoon show they've done. The Fox Spider-Man had storylines, character designs approved disapproved based on considerations of toys (at that time marvel was owned by Toy-Biz, aka a merch company).

It's the reason why a character like Daredevil despite having a rich legacy of strong and influential storyline has never gotten a cartoon adaptation, he's considered too edgy and not marketable enough for animation.

With the purchase by Disney and the MCU, the situation has changed. The main attraction for an animated adaptation used to be that you could do serialized stories of the kind you can't do in movies, and also touch on aspects of the comics (the magic-cosmic and far out AU ideas and so on) that you couldn't do in a more realistic movie adaptation. Thanks to rise in CGI and so on, the MCU became known for "putting on movies the stuff you never thought comics movies would do" i.e. Guardians, Doctor Strange and the whole cosmic-fantastic-science fiction side, so that meant the attraction of doing an animated version faded.

I would love to see Marvel get into the animated movie game. I know they are focused on the MCU but that doesnt mean they cant have a smaller focus that could do a couple movies a years.

There are so many great story lines. Kraven's last Hunt. Secret Wars, Days of Future past, Skrull Kree War. I could go on and on. And there could be some great What If stories done in the animated format. Or alternate universes Like House of M, or 1602, Or hell how about Marvel Zombies
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Because Marvel doesn't really put a lot of stock in their animation side. At least not anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    With the purchase by Disney and the MCU, the situation has changed. The main attraction for an animated adaptation used to be that you could do serialized stories of the kind you can't do in movies, and also touch on aspects of the comics (the magic-cosmic and far out AU ideas and so on) that you couldn't do in a more realistic movie adaptation. Thanks to rise in CGI and so on, the MCU became known for "putting on movies the stuff you never thought comics movies would do" i.e. Guardians, Doctor Strange and the whole cosmic-fantastic-science fiction side, so that meant the attraction of doing an animated version faded.
    Which is a shame because, for my money, the animated side has sometimes had much stronger takes than the movies.

I'm ok with not having an overflow of superhero animated direct to video films. This stuff is pretty expensive to make and probably doesn't bring back the demanded amount of revenues from sales, a business risk that Disney might be avoiding willingly. Compared to television animation they spend a bigger budget and more work on frame to frame transition and details, and at this point I'm not sure these are used to market toys to finance producing more of them.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I would love to see Marvel get into the animated movie game. I know they are focused on the MCU but that doesnt mean they cant have a smaller focus that could do a couple movies a years.

There are so many great story lines. Kraven's last Hunt. Secret Wars, Days of Future past, Skrull Kree War. I could go on and on. And there could be some great What If stories done in the animated format. Or alternate universes Like House of M, or 1602, Or hell how about Marvel Zombies
    DOFP was already animated once, in the 90s X-Men cartoon. And Secret Wars was adapted in the fourth season of Avengers Assemble.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    DOFP was already animated once, in the 90s X-Men cartoon. And Secret Wars was adapted in the fourth season of Avengers Assemble.
    I saw both of those. And they did a Secret Wars in the 90s Spiderman. But it would be great to see a more mature version in a dvd movie.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Marvel's animation side is a blooming mess compared to WB/DC. Not sure what you were expecting.
    "Cable was right!"

I was always sad we didn't get more fun romps like Hulk vs. I kept hoping for some Spider-man original animated movies or adaptations. I know Marvel animation is on the decline with series ending and not being renewed, but I'd love at least a few more features put out. I just wanna see some stuff that's not an MCU movie. I love them and all, but seeing stuff like Spidey PS4 was a different and fun take. I dunno, I hope that things for the animation side don't dry up completely.
    Voice Actor and Symbiote Fanatic -- Hoping for Anti-Venom's return daily.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Marvel's animation side is a blooming mess compared to WB/DC. Not sure what you were expecting.
    In my estimate, there's basically two really great Marvel cartoon shows: The Spectacular Spider-Man and X-Men Evolution. Great in the sense I'd rank these two among the best adventure cartoon shows out there whether it's Bruce Timm or the Disney Afternoon shows.

Know what they both have in common, both were done independently of Marvel by outside professionals in animation, so you had Greg Weisman (of Gargoyles fame among others) doing Spectacular, given freedom by Sony Pictures who produced that completely. Then X-Men Evolution was...I s--t you not...produced by Kids!WB i.e. Warner Bros themselves, way back in the early 2000s when WB was willing to work as a hired gun for a rival comics company.

The others are good to mediocre in my estimate.

Kevin Feige did in fact produce Wolverine and the X-Men and that ran for one season and that's actually a good cartoon...also the last X-Men cartoon produced in more than a decade. Gee, I wonder why (*cough* Perlmutter *cough*).

But essentially, Marvel sees animation as just merchandise commercials for kids. That's it. They don't consider them creative mediums on which they should set a mark. It's basically "Whatup cool kids buy merchandise and here's visual aids". Marvel always exercised historically an unusual level of control on animated adaptations because they wanted to make sure that the cartoons are A) Kid Friendly, B) Merchandise friendly. So animated producers never got freedom to the extent Bruce Timm got at DC/WB. That's why Donald Glover's Deadpool series got cancelled because Marvel (esp. Marvel-Disney) didn't want a foul-mouthed cartoon for teenagers because in their mind animation=kids.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
    I was always sad we didn't get more fun romps like Hulk vs.
    You mean those animation DTVs made by Lionsgate...those were produced as proof-of-concept for the MCU. Nothing more. They weren't intended to be a lasting thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Even without comparing it to DC it's -sadly- a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockdingo View Post
    I was always sad we didn't get more fun romps like Hulk vs. I kept hoping for some Spider-man original animated movies or adaptations.
    What did you think of Thor: Tales of Asgard? That was a fun movie, but I don't know if it does injustice to Thor's characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In my estimate, there's basically two really great Marvel cartoon shows: The Spectacular Spider-Man and X-Men Evolution. Great in the sense I'd rank these two among the best adventure cartoon shows out there whether it's Bruce Timm or the Disney Afternoon shows.
    It's always nice to see more fans of X-Men Evolution.
    But what do you think of Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes? That show is amazing and a pleasant experience for the most part.

Then X-Men Evolution was...I s--t you not...produced by Kids!WB i.e. Warner Bros themselves, way back in the early 2000s when WB was willing to work as a hired gun for a rival comics company.
    I forgot that part. Hehe, it is amusing to think about.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Ultimate Member

It seemed like Marvel tried a line of direct to DVD products in the 2000's but they under performed so Marvel moved on other projects.

Astonishing Member

Making great animated projects are probably not worth the investment for them. As others have said, now more than ever the cartoons are just tools to entice young kids to buy merchandise. Marvel doesn't view animation as a medium deserving of the investment or talent needed to devise great projects, it's not profitable enough.

So Marvel only does the bare minimum needed to get enough kids to annoy their parents into buying them toys. Sometimes you get stuff that's actually pretty solid (Black Panther's Quest) but most of the time it's obvious Marvel just phones in their animated offerings. Maybe that changes in the future but I doubt it.