Default Which Superman supervillain do you think had the best intro?

Pick the best villain intros. Either for making a really cool villain that you wanted to see again (or would have if you weren't already familiar with them) or for being a really cool story. But you must pick their first published appearance (teasers excluded). I know with some old ones, stories weren't then what they are now, but you can compare them to others debuting in the same era.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Manchester Black & The Elite from Action Comics #775 immediately springs to mind. Also, despite how bad OUR WORLDS AT WAR turned out Imperiex had a really cool introduction.

Cyborg Superman's burning of Superman's memorial plaque was cold-blooded once you knew who he was and what his motives were.

Zod debuted in ADVENTURE COMICS 283, in 1961...

...but really, he hit his stride in SUPERMAN II...

...and been a fan favorite ever since.

Retired

You can't really top the introduction of Mongul by Len Wein, Jim Starlin and Dick Giordano in DC COMICS PRESENTS 27 (November 1980). That was one of the greatest storylines. I also have a soft spot for Terra-Man's introduction in SUPERMAN 249 (March 1972)--a great concept (too bad it's been wasted)--with work by Cary Bates, Curt Swan, Murphy Anderson, Dick Dillin and Neal Adams .

Going back further in time, the introduction of Mr. Mxyztplk was a lot of fun. However, you have your choice of which intro you prefer. There's the one in the comics--SUPERMAN 30 (September-October 1944)--"The Mysterious Mr. Mxyztplk" by Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster and Ira Yarbrough. And there's the one in the comic strip, circa March 1st, 1944--in the Miss Dreamface storyline--by Whitney Ellsworth and Wayne Boring.

One of the first introductions of a super-villain I ever read was "Zha-Vam the Invincible" in ACTION COMICS 351 (June 1967)--by Otto Binder and Wayne Boring. That dude was so imposing, I thought the Man of Steel was a goner for sure.

The first appearance of Lex is quite good for what it is I feel. Same for Brainiac.