Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Batman #101

Watch them make Bruce and Harley cousins

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post

Nonetheless, I'm not a fan of them breaking up so soon. I hate the together-for-two-minutes-then-break-up thing in general. Plus I'd like to be able to read and enjoy them as a ship. And I don't want King the only option for shippers to read them. Puts too much gloss on his era.
    Yeah, why not have hired someone (like Tom Taylor) who also likes them as a couple but can write for them in their way? Keep it going like that. This sucks

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    Yeah, why not have hired someone (like Tom Taylor) who also likes them as a couple but can write for them in their way? Keep it going like that. This sucks
    Taylor is a WonderBat shipper. Injustice was a mandate not a choice.

I really liked this issue. A nice back to basics reset. Hopefully that's the last we see of Catwoman for a while as she has her own stuff to do, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Going by Tom King, Bruce wouldn't be able to struggle at all with Catwoman around since together they can basically defeat any villain, no matter how improbable. Maybe Tynion just doesn't want to deal with that .

I'm glad Clownhunter isn't giving Harley a pass like everyone else does, even if she has too much plot armor for him to do any damage.

I hate Harley with the Batfamily so, so, much.
    i want her to be involved in the killings of his parents when she was with joker but i know they are going to make her the victim
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

I get that it was kinda heavy on the exposition for where its going/setting stuff but that was kinda expected with a post-Joker War issue here. I like dit and really glad Tynion is going with a back to basic batman, it makes things a little more interesting and gives it some stakes imo. Also Tynion didn't just break them up, I feel like separating them is a better fit for a Batman that is going to be stripped of everything, he needs that loner thing to go with it, and they're prob still banging whenever they want to anyway. Obviously the whole 'give it a year' won't stick but yeah.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't get why people are so upset to see the wedding plot get swept away...sure, I like Bruce and Selina as a couple myself and would love to have them actually start a family but DC was never, ever going to let that happen as aging in their comics isn't a thing. They were destined to break up from the start so why be upset when it happens?

The whole wedding plot was just a marketing ploy to sell more books, it was never going to stick and to anyone who thought it was? Well, I have some mountain top property in Nebraska I'd like to give to you. All I need from you in order to transfer the deed over to you is your bank account and routing numbers.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 10-26-2020 at 05:46 AM.

I never thought the wedding was going through (didn't buy the books, either). But I can understand fans being upset that it was done. Firstly, being upset at the lack of progression allowed (except, I guess, in acquiring more and more kids over the decades), and secondly in the hyped events that end up going nowhere and changing nothing in the long run. It's expected (by me, anyway), but tedious and annoying.

All of the stories with characters getting together (or dying, becoming evil, etc.) feel meaningless because they are undone two minutes later. I'd rather avoid the (mostly bad) events that happen than make them permanent, myself (I like more upbeat stories and am so sick of grimdark and unremitting angst), but I can see those who just want events to be committed to. I do rather like some of the marriages and babies that came along, though sadly many were later erased in reboots.

Also, frankly, this kind of thing really makes it impossible to ship any characters without disregarding huge swaths of canon. And many like shipping. But, really, if they've gotten together four or five times, but always break up pretty much immediately after, how can fans actually think they should be together and are actually capable of making a go of it if they "count" all those breakups?

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I never thought the wedding was going through (didn't buy the books, either). But I can understand fans being upset that it was done. Firstly, being upset at the lack of progression allowed (except, I guess, in acquiring more and more kids over the decades), and secondly in the hyped events that end up going nowhere and changing nothing in the long run. It's expected (by me, anyway), but tedious and annoying.

All of the stories with characters getting together (or dying, becoming evil, etc.) feel meaningless because they are undone two minutes later. I'd rather avoid the (mostly bad) events that happen than make them permanent, myself (I like more upbeat stories and am so sick of grimdark and unremitting angst), but I can see those who just want events to be committed to. I do rather like some of the marriages and babies that came along, though sadly many were later erased in reboots.

Also, frankly, this kind of thing really makes it impossible to ship any characters without disregarding huge swaths of canon. And many like shipping. But, really, if they've gotten together four or five times, but always break up pretty much immediately after, how can fans actually think they should be together and are actually capable of making a go of it if they "count" all those breakups?
    I'd rather they stop with those supposed life altering events myself...but people buy them so they won't stop. All you can hope for is that they're well written and enjoy them as they come out, expecting more than that and you're just setting yourself up.

I hope this is an opportunity to get batman on the street, solving crimes and hitting criminals, not relying on billion dollar tech and dozens of allies to defeat a supervillain taking over the city or the world, and without all the life changing events, just a back to basics batman who is doing his thing. I think it'll freshen things up and allow stories to feel like they have some stakes at play. But I doubt the living in a brownstone apartment alone in gotham is going to last too long

I at least appreciate Tynion addressing the logistics of how the relationship was going to work in the public before things hit the fan.

I'm happy to see the Selina and Bruce relationship go away, I never cared for it.

I loved seeing Grifter again, it had been a long time, and I think his look and character is pretty awesome.

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

Finally reading this tonight. I cant wait to see what direction they are going after joker wars.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I’m excited to see Grifter, but I’m hoping to see this lead to an interdimensional event, giving the WildStorm characters their own universe again.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I’m excited to see Grifter, but I’m hoping to see this lead to an interdimensional event, giving the WildStorm characters their own universe again.
    How much is Grifter in the issue? I dropped Batman a few issues after King left since I wasn't enjoying it anymore but I love Grifter so I'll give it another go if he's a big part of it.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans