Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default Favorite Single Issue of an X-Men Book?

Not your favorite arc or even two-parter, but single issue. That doesn't mean it can't be part of a crossover, a few of mine are, but which single issues do you prize and adore above all others?

A few of mine:

Uncanny X-Men #272: Part 7 of the X-Tinction Agenda. The issue where the team gets back together and escapes Hodge's clutches. Features Gambit's awesome lock-picking scene, Psylocke's "Die Hard" moment and Ororo returning to adulthood. The best action movie never made.

House of X #2 - Moira X's retcon revelation. As elegant explanation of a wicked cool sci-fi concept as you are going to get. Clearly influenced by The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August but still a wholly original spin on the concept and just beautifully illustrated by Pepe Larraz

Uncanny 341 - Gladiator vs. Cannoball. The peak of Joe Mad's art on the book I think. Not high art this one but I have a real soft spot for it.

Uncanny 303 - The first comic to make me cry (I was 6 or 7 when I read it) and it still makes me tear up. Shame that the Richard Bennet art is such a bad fit for the story. Probably Lobdell's single best script for the X-Men

Uncanny X-Men 173 - Rogue and Wolverine try to track down Silver Samurai and Viper. Paul Smith goodness. That excellent silent horizontal fight between Wolverine and the Samurai.

What are some of yours?

Forever #1 for me. X-Men Vol 2 #33 - "The Hearts of Thieves" by Fabian Nicieza and Andy Kubert.

My favorite story. Young Gambit vs Sabretooth in Paris. Great story with awesome art.

Last edited by Purplevit; 10-23-2020 at 03:21 AM.

My Top (3) Three Favorites would be...

X-Factor #86

X-Force #18

X-Men, Vol. 2 #9
    Last edited by K7P5V; 10-23-2020 at 02:50 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    Forever #1 for me. X-Men Vol 2 #33 - "The Hearts of Thieves" by Fabian Nicieza and Andy Kubert.

My favorite story. Young Gambit vs Sabretooth in Paris. Great story with awesome art.

My #2 favorite is X-Factor Vol 3 #16 by PAD and Pablo Raimondi. Very beautiful story of Madrox soulsearching and finding out Madrox Priest with family. One of the best stories ever.

EXCALIBUR 14, part 3 of The Cross-Time Caper

The title of the issue was “Too Many Heroes”, and it had A LOT of heroes. A fun issue, it had Rick Jones in a perpetual search to find someone new to sidekick for (he tells Captain Britain he’d be his third Captain), one of the saddest alt reality Hank Pym fates, and Galactus deeming the world “too silly to be allowed to exist”. It was great.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplevit View Post
    My #2 favorite is X-Factor Vol 3 #16 by PAD and Pablo Raimondi. Very beautiful story of Madrox soulsearching and finding out Madrox Priest with family. One of the best stories ever.

My #3 favorite is X-Men Legacy 24 by Simon Spurrier and Tan Eng Huat.

What a sad and shocking reveal of story! What an ending. Simply beautiful.

Uncanny X-Men #242!: X-Factor vs. X-Men vs. N'astirh vs. Goblin Queen!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    Uncanny 303 - The first comic to make me cry (I was 6 or 7 when I read it) and it still makes me tear up. Shame that the Richard Bennet art is such a bad fit for the story. Probably Lobdell's single best script for the X-Men
    I think he did a great job. I wish we had more art on X-Men from Richard Bennett, actually. Pity.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Huge recency bias but:

House of X #4 was such a great culmination of years of poor stories about absolute mutant misery. Perfect art with a tight script and fantastic pacing.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Huge recency bias but:

House of X #4 was such a great culmination of years of poor stories about absolute mutant misery. Perfect art with a tight script and fantastic pacing.
    I almost put this over House of X #2. A nearly flawless issue (I do think Jean Grey acts weird in her moments but 'nobody's perfect')

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    Uncanny X-Men #242!: X-Factor vs. X-Men vs. N'astirh vs. Goblin Queen!
    I think he did a great job. I wish we had more art on X-Men from Richard Bennett, actually. Pity.
    He's a talented artist. And it is weird that he never really made it, but I thought the issue called for a grit and warmth that he lacked. Everything was too shiny and posed. I'll give him credit that his child Illyana looked like a child. Not every artist can do that

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

House of X #2 is the first that comes to mind. Can't think of one issue with a bigger impact and more meaningful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    He's a talented artist. And it is weird that he never really made it, but I thought the issue called for a grit and warmth that he lacked. Everything was too shiny and posed. I'll give him credit that his child Illyana looked like a child. Not every artist can do that
    Wikipedia says he's now a successful movie storyboard artist. Good for him.
    #303 was my first book at 13, and I liked the art. Still nostalgic about it, and the emotion on everyone's faces works for me, even the cold look on Peter's face.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Amazing Member

Uncanny X Men #108-Armageddon Now, first issue I ever bought when it came out.

New X-Men 121.

Fantastic Member Captain Buttocks's Avatar

Uncanny 213 - aftermath of the MOrlock Massacre with a fabulous Wolvie-Sabretooth fight (no, honestly, Sabretooth was a threat once) and drawn by Alan Davis to boot. My first issue of X-Men and a keeper.

Uncanny 227 - End of Fall of Mutants. Brilliant stuff.

X-Factor #87 - the psychiatrist issue. Lovely dialogue, Joe Q art and the defining pieceof Quicksilver characterisation.

New X-Men #142 - about the first time I *got* how repressed Scott Summers can be brilliant. Loved Bachalo since Gen X so good to see him on here.