Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I'd stop using my home gym...
    Yeah! That's basically sloth. I like being on my toes and endorphin flow . I don't like muscles of hot air.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    OMG

I never thought about this. Is there such a thing as a fat Superman?
    There are some comedic stories in the silverage.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-27-2020 at 01:46 AM.

Astonishing Member

I remember a special issue (but I don't remember which one - was it maybe Truth, Justice, and the American Way, or was it some other "anniversary" issue?) that had a 2-page story in which a reporter was conducting man-on-the-street interviews to get people's answers to this very question. After a bunch of people told about how they would like to fix all the problems in the world, or invoke vengeance on all the bad guys, etc., the reporter on the street encounters Clark Kent and asks what he would do is he were Superman. Clark's answer: "I think it would be really cool to be able to fly!"

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I used to imagine that I'd show up with a bang and scare the world into meeting every social goal with a warning, but it would probably be too distorting and lead to unsustainable changes.

Instead, I'd most likely spend my time saving the absolutely most vulnerable in secret, while using my super smarts, and stamina to bolster political reform projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    I used to imagine that I'd show up with a bang and scare the world into meeting every social goal with a warning, but it would probably be too distorting and lead to unsustainable changes.

Instead, I'd most likely spend my time saving the absolutely most vulnerable in secret, while using my super smarts, and stamina to bolster political reform projects.
    Yeah, I don't think even a Superman could force the world to be better. If we should have learned anything in recent years it's that people will see what they want to see, regardless of the evidence or arguments.

I figure the best case scenario is you'd show up with the "treat people right, or expect a visit from me!" mentality, throw some politicians into the sun, destabilize a economy or two, and force the world to come together to stop you. You probably couldn't save the world as a hero (seems many people have no desire to embody those basic virtues), but as a villain you could give them a common enemy to rally against. So you could unite the world.....in their efforts to kill you. And if you were lucky and you stuck with it long enough, maybe that spirit of cooperation would become a habit and you'd actually get somewhere close to achieving your goals, and could allow yourself to be "defeated" knowing that this new cooperation will outlive their war against you.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Forgive me. but that's the most overdone troupe ever(lelouch, sasuke... Etc there is a list) . Also, from this thread i have realised one thing. Another reason superman turns evil. People actually believe power always corrupts and power always leads to some tragic ends. Superman ain't some greek hero.I for one want superman's abilities to have some fun and cause some mischief.I don't believe for one second, i am gonna have bad ending.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-10-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Forgive me. but that's the most overdone troupe ever. Also, from this thread i have realised one thing. Another reason superman turns evil. People actually believe power always corrupts and power always leads to some tragic ends. Superman ain't some greek hero.I for want superman's abilities to have some fun and cause some mischief.
    If all you wanted to do was screw around and entertain yourself then sure, you could do that and it'd probably be fine. If you didn't threaten the power dynamics and those in charge I doubt they'd want to throw the first punch (not unless they were sure they could get you in a lab). But if you actually wanted to do something that matters and make a positive difference in the world and use those powers for more than your own satisfaction? You wouldn't change anything, at least in America, by saving cats from trees and blowing out hurricanes. One political party or another would turn it into a partisan issue and everyone would spend more time arguing the politics of your actions than they'd spend looking at what you were actually trying to do.

Of course, we just came off a extremely long election cycle where truth, objectivity, and decency all died slow deaths, and the drama is still ongoing as we enter the lawsuit "I refuse to accept this!" part of the process. And this is following many years of deep divisions that have only grown with time. So yeah, I'm a little more cynical and disenfranchised than usual. But it's also true that in America, nothing brings us together like a common foe. If you had Clark's powers, you could do heroic things all day and people would simply argue over their politics. But if you blew up one national monument? You'd get the whole country united in their efforts to stop you. If you want to get people to set aside their differences and work together, in America you either give everyone a target to aim at or you'd have to set yourself up as some kind of religious paragon, and I'd personally rather be seen as a terrorist than a false god.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Forgive me. but that's the most overdone troupe ever(lelouch, sasuke... Etc there is a list) . Also, from this thread i have realised one thing. Another reason superman turns evil. People actually believe power always corrupts and power always leads to some tragic ends. Superman ain't some greek hero.I for one want superman's abilities to have some fun and cause some mischief.I don't believe for one second, i am gonna have bad ending.
    It's a trope in fiction based on real life. We may not have super powers but people don't need super powers to abuse their power over others and there are many, many people who would be the next Homelander with that opportunity. Superman doesn't turn evil over power, that's Ultraman - Superman turns evil when he's emotionally broken and gave up on his ideals. Not all people with power are corrupt but many people do get corrupted by power. This is why the world is filled with tyrants, terrorists and why numerous powerful people in groups like religions and celebrities do bad things.

A god-like being creating "mischief" in our world would scare everyone. Governments would be form task forces to investigate and neutralise an entity like that, especially if it messes with their agendas.

I prefer Lyndon Johnson's perspective that power reveals rather than corrupts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    If all you wanted to do was screw around and entertain yourself then sure, you could do that and it'd probably be fine. If you didn't threaten the power dynamics and those in charge I doubt they'd want to throw the first punch (not unless they were sure they could get you in a lab). But if you actually wanted to do something that matters and make a positive difference in the world and use those powers for more than your own satisfaction? You wouldn't change anything, at least in America, by saving cats from trees and blowing out hurricanes. One political party or another would turn it into a partisan issue and everyone would spend more time arguing the politics of your actions than they'd spend looking at what you were actually trying to do.

Of course, we just came off a extremely long election cycle where truth, objectivity, and decency all died slow deaths, and the drama is still ongoing as we enter the lawsuit "I refuse to accept this!" part of the process. And this is following many years of deep divisions that have only grown with time. So yeah, I'm a little more cynical and disenfranchised than usual. But it's also true that in America, nothing brings us together like a common foe. If you had Clark's powers, you could do heroic things all day and people would simply argue over their politics. But if you blew up one national monument? You'd get the whole country united in their efforts to stop you. If you want to get people to set aside their differences and work together, in America you either give everyone a target to aim at or you'd have to set yourself up as some kind of religious paragon, and I'd personally rather be seen as a terrorist than a false god.
    A guy attaining more power than state.yeah!that's gonna rattle cages regardless of what he plans to do.Heck!moses's story is about that.But the thing is, you only need to worry about bad endings if you actively believe you know better and you have to control everything. If you are a social being you will do what's right when you see injustice happen.That's natural .Sure,that can end badly.but,it won't really matter as long as your conscience is clear.For me,being able to keep conscience clean is biggest happy ending. I for one never thought any version of Superman was actively trying to change the world and get a feeling of importance from it. They were just guys doing the right thing.Superman brought change because things needed a change and change itself is inevitable. If it ain't clark Kent,it's gonna be bibbo,Lois Lane,Dan turpin,..etc.While,I think clark was ambitious about himself,his career and stuff like that.I don't picture clark having that kinda ambition for it to end badly.If there is no intent to actively change things for how is he gonna plan to be a villain for humanity to Unite against.while that might happen unintentionally (vigilante,duh!).I don't think it would be something he schemes for.

While I understand the cynism. The debate is the life blood of democracy.the dirty aspect of politics,election,rhetoric..etc are part and parcel. I wouldn't want to live in echo chamber even if things get done faster.And these things are always an ongoing process and will keep on going. I would be more concerned if it didn't continue . It would be too machine like.Moreover,I wouldn't particularly about people's opinion of me as long as I do the right thing,The criticism is legitimate and I can do something to improve or change taking in the critics. As for the country,as long as there are uniting ideals .the factions,entities..etc of country may disagree but can coexist as part of a nation state. I firmly believe,clark would be a positive uniting factor rather than negative one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    A god-like being creating "mischief" in our world would scare everyone. Governments would be form task forces to investigate and neutralise an entity like that, especially if it messes with their agendas.
    Nah!you don't need to have godlike abilities to scare everyone .Mobs are usually stupid. Moreover,men get scared easily as well generally .it's none of my concern.they would have to get over it.as for government,they can try if they have the balls.I am effing superman.are'nt I? As long as my conscience is clear and not harming good people . I would tAke on any government on the planet who wants to mess with me.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-11-2020 at 02:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member

I'd also dump Lois for Wonder Woman, and thus I'd be able to stop wondering.

Astonishing Member

I'd also dump Lois for Wonder Woman, and thus I'd be able to stop wondering.
    Would Wonder Woman actually accept you?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Wow, gonna need Senzu for that one.

Personally,I wouldn't dump Lois If I was with her.though,i believe she won't be first preference. Catwoman would be it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Sure, I'd be Superman.

BANNED

Sure, I'd be Superman.
    What quality you have that make Wonder Woman will accept you?