Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default If You were Superman?

What would you do to make the world a better place?
    Get rid of the nukes, take on Boko Haram and other terrorist groups, visit sick kids in hospital..
    Some things would be quite hard to fix in reality.
    Your thoughts and views on this?

It's a lucky thing for the world that I don't have Clark's powers.

I like to tell myself that, if I had super powers, I'd use them cautiously and with a light touch, that I wouldn't try to force to world to follow my own vision and morality, and that I'd fix problems we can all get behind, like taking down terror groups, helping solve world hunger, advance scientific fields and space exploration, etc.

But what I'd actually end up doing would probably be far less benign, because I lack Clark's patience, self-restraint, and optimism. I'd end up throwing politicians into the sun, burning corporations to the ground, and destabilizing the entire globe. Now, I'd come by all those atrocities honestly and with the best of intentions. I'm not power hungry, I'm not greedy, and all I really want is for people to get a fair shake and a honest shot at living their best lives. I try to follow the science and listen to the experts, not the echo chambers that bounce my own opinions back at me. I try damn hard to be a good person. But I'd end up throwing the entire balance and status quo of the world into chaos with those good intentions of mine. History would likely remember me as a villain. And as long as the entire world put their differences aside and joined together to stop me, I'd be fine with it. If my being the bad guy brought peace and an end to the partisan bullsh*t (common enemy and all that stuff) I'd play the role happily.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Prob. go explore outer space.
    My presence on earth would be too disruptive.

I'd be the biggest troll ever.

#1 on troll job on my list: more or less re-enact the STAS episode "Knight Time." I can't think of a funnier thing to do with my Superman powers than use them to pretend to be Batman. Or maybe Iron Man. Or maybe I could pick a different superhero to be any given day of the week. Either way, we'd finally have an answer to the question of how long can a superhero get away with having a secret identity.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyO'Brien View Post
    What would you do to make the world a better place?
    Your words made me instantly think of the Jackie DeShannon song--

Think of your fellow man, lend him a helping hand
    Put a little love in your heart
    You see, it's getting late, oh, please don't hesitate

And the world will be a better place
    And the world will be a better place for you and me
    You just wait and see

Another day goes by, and still the children cry
    If we want the world to know, we won't let hatred grow

You just wait and see, wait and see

Take a good look around and if you're lookin' down
    I hope when you decide kindness will be your guide

You just wait and see

Honestly ? I'd try to tore down capitalism, in anyway I can. it's the thing which is killing our world, after all, and has helped the creation of all the terror groups which affect us today, if we search for it. So... probably better for Mankind that I don't have those powers, but less so for the planet, I guess ?

Lightbulb

I would lead by example.

1.) I'd only use my powers if I absolutely had to (i.e. save others from disasters or threatening beings who could not be reasoned with). I'd also learn actual fighting styles so I could deal with other powerful beings as quickly as possible so I could minimize collateral (deaths, serious injuries, and any property) damage.

2.) I'd create minerals and the like using my powers and tech to benefit all people, especially the needy.

3.) I'd use Kryptonian tech (from my Fortress) to help the world deal with every crisis I could (Climate Change, sickness, hunger). I'd tightly control the tech so the greedy and evil couldn't exploit it.

I think the hardest part would be resisting the urge to abuse my powers by permanently dealing with creeps like Lex Luthor. No doubt, it would be hard to simply not crush them after seeing how they ruin so many lives and yet (usually) skate free.
    Last edited by Celgress; 10-23-2020 at 01:08 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Definitely too much power for any single person.
    That being said I also don't think I'm powerhungry or have the necessary leadership skills or aspirations to go completely nuts and try to take over the world.
    If i went exploring the universe, I'd probably get lost.
    I also don't want to work for Trump or any other country's military interests.
    That being said I'm also not an anarchist or whatever who wants to overthrow capitatism or western civilization or whatever.

See even in the most realistic dc universe, there are usually some supervillains or existential threats to keep the Clark Kent character busy. If that's off the table, idk maybe I'd refreeze the ice caps (would that even work?), clean up pollution, then find a way to monetize it and get rich somehow.
    Last edited by OpaqueGiraffe17; 10-23-2020 at 01:43 PM.

Mighty Member

Thanks for the replies. It'd probably be best if I did great deeds secretly. Whooshing around snatching guns off militias, dropping off food and school supplies to the poor etc.
    Ever read Alan Moore's miracle man. What did you think of the way he changed the world?

Takeover the world because **** it why not?

Thanks for the replies. It'd probably be best if I did great deeds secretly. Whooshing around snatching guns off militias, dropping off food and school supplies to the poor etc.
    Ever read Alan Moore's miracle man. What did you think of the way he changed the world?
    The best and most even handed take on “what if Superman took over the world and solved everyone’s problems?” because it doesn’t go for the usual cop out of “he’s evil now”. His world is a utopia but it’s... off. It just doesn’t feel right. There’s a sense of unease that permeates the entire thing, something Gaiman did a great job of exploring in his follow up (pity we’ll never see the ending to that). A sense that while he’s recreated Eden he may have also robbed people of their humanity, and MM himself is basically completely cut off from humanity too. He’s a full blown deity and he’s basically making humans into gods too.

Mighty Member

Thanks. Good point. Trouble with miracle man is that people need to move forward as one gradually. Not with one guy shoving his utopia down everyone's throat. I liked flash confronting supes in the Injustice book too, asking him if he'll go after the tobacco and automobile industries too ..

Thanks. Good point. Trouble with miracle man is that people need to move forward as one gradually. Not with one guy shoving his utopia down everyone's throat. I liked flash confronting supes in the Injustice book too, asking him if he'll go after the tobacco and automobile industries too ..
    Someone once made the argument to me that Miracleman’s Utopia is basically “enlightened” fascism. The Nietzsche Superman finally arrives and replaces God as the source of all morality and life. Definitely think there’s something there to that. There’s a very militaristic feel to the end with MM’s costume feeling very much like a soldier’s uniform. Yet he abolishes all militaries and nukes, doesn’t herd off undesirables into death camps, or even “rule” the world as we traditionally understand the concept. So it’s not Nazism and that’s what makes it fascinating, how it avoids the cliches you see with Injustice or the Justice Lords.
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-24-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Honestly ? I'd try to tore down capitalism, in anyway I can. it's the thing which is killing our world, after all, and has helped the creation of all the terror groups which affect us today, if we search for it. So... probably better for Mankind that I don't have those powers, but less so for the planet, I guess ?
    Can't say I'm anywhere near as ambitious, but I also can't agree with this notion in the least.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    If i went exploring the universe, I'd probably get lost.
    Ha! Me, too!

If it were me, I don't think I could ever be the public figure Clark is as Superman. Far too introverted for that and would just never be comfortable with it.

Anyone ever read Mark Millar's Huck? If anything, I'd probably be something like that, but even more under the radar (seriously, I hate being the center of attention). The closest I'd come to attacking someone is just uncover dirt on dirty politicians or corporations. For the most part, I'd just want to save people.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

No lie, that kind of power and little to nothing in our world capable of actually stopping me, along with the intelligence of a Kryptonian... I would probably go a similar route of Red Son (minus the Communist angle at least). Though rather be in charge directly, be that "neutral party" or whatever that steps in when things go sideways. Like putting an idiot in charge of a country and allowing a pandemic to ravage it...

But not take full power for myself. No sir. Intervening when people are being awful is one thing. Governing is a mess that I want no part of, and leave it to people that know what to do.