Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    There and endless Pitt of titans not being used anymore
    valid point
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Who exactly "tore" down a black woman? I've apologized several times for inadvertantly appearing to be that.

I can't state more emphatically that was not my intention and in fact I don't see how stating that one character has recently been brought out of mothballs while another, older, longer established (by over 10 years) still languishes.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    There and endless Pitt of titans not being used anymore
    Everyone has the right to care about their favorite characters and also start their own threads about them.

I personally find it easier to care about the various female characters, as they are the ones who get the short shrift more often.

Lilith?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

Lilith was cool, bring her back
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

Back to the original topic - I think one reason Bumble Bee gets more love because she's got less competition. While both were little-used and then abandoned for a while, she is a black super heroine with a relatively long pedigree - there are several white ones to predate Bette and many more that are currently active. When they want to do a cartoon, and want a diverse cast, there's a lot more (famous) options to choose from.

Another reason - Bette has a more confusing history (first niece Bat-Girl then rebooted with Kathy being removed, and she was never Bat-girl and had a dumb origin and still wasn't used much, then she has a completely different setup (personality, origin, etc.) in New 52. A number of her fans care about her history as Bat-Girl, but the Batfamily is already over-crowded, and has several Batgirls better known than her to a modern comic audience, and frankly, she was a short-lived recurring character there in an era before they kept long-term readers or had on-going stories and is easily removed without affecting other characters, particularly Bruce and Dick) and she there would need to be changes without Kathy!Batwoman. They put her with Kate, but Kate wasn't really designed with her in mind. Which doesn't mean she can't have a role, but she really kinda was re-made for it.

There are tons of forgotten/abandoned characters, especially Titans. So the question then becomes - do you have a reason to bring this one back (versus another)? This could be a niche that needs filling (in powers, skills, personality, or even being the right race, sex, or age for a role), a team that needs padding out, a story that can only be told with this character? Or a reason to believe that this character would resonate with today's audience? I mean, from a business perspective?

There are several I'd like to see more of today, but most of them don't fill any place in the fandom that other heroes don't already cover and don't have compelling histories or large fanbases or any reason to think they'd sell better than what's already out there. I just found them likable. It doesn't help that the first gen of lost Titans is Dick's age, and they've been getting treated like crap in the comics for a while. Once a younger gen came along to be the "youngsters" they just didn't seem to know what to do with this gen. Except turning them evil, killing them off, and/or de-aging them (complete with killing their kids or retconning them out of existence).
    Last edited by Tzigone; 11-14-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Very well thought out and considered points, Tzigone.

Still, it always sucks for fans to lose a favorite character, regardless of the business reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    There are tons of forgotten/abandoned characters, especially Titans. So the question then becomes - do you have a reason to bring this one back (versus another)? This could be a niche that needs filling (in powers, skills, personality, or even being the right race, sex, or age for a role), a team that needs padding out, a story that can only be told with this character? Or a reason to believe that this character would resonate with today's audience? I mean, from a business perspective?
    Well, she's Jewish and Bruce's cousin. But so is Kate. Other than that I don't know of anything that makes her different from the other Bat-Family characters.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    Very well thought out and considered points, Tzigone.

Still, it always sucks for fans to lose a favorite character, regardless of the business reasons.

Well, she's Jewish and Bruce's cousin. But so is Kate. Other than that I don't know of anything that makes her different from the other Bat-Family characters.
    Bette is a disaster bisexual and loves fire? And a stubborn mule. SHe's impulsive, hot-headed, dramatic, hella bitchy, and I love her. I'd be okay if she just got used in AUs but I just want her to be used

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    Bette is a disaster bisexual and loves fire? And a stubborn mule. SHe's impulsive, hot-headed, dramatic, hella bitchy, and I love her. I'd be okay if she just got used in AUs but I just want her to be used
    I didn't know she was bisexual. Actually, I don't recall her sexuality ever being mentioned in the Batwoman solo series (which is where I know her from).

Incredible Member

I didn't know she was bisexual. Actually, I don't recall her sexuality ever being mentioned in the Batwoman solo series (which is where I know her from).
    fine, the bisexuality thing is all me but I think she is. But that's mostly because I ship Bette/Helena

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    fine, the bisexuality thing is all me but I think she is.
    If there's nothing to indicate that she isn't, then it remains a possibility.

Incredible Member

If there's nothing to indicate that she isn't, then it remains a possibility.
    if I ever got to write her, then I'd reveal she is bi.