Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    And this too, is what some have said.

Why do most Batfamily folks have to be angsty? Why can't we have someone who didn't have to nearly die - like Bette - become grittier and battle-hardened.

The gal was taught stuff by Batman, way back as well as both Batwomen. She is not an amateur, she's plucky!
    I love Bette being happy and cheerful but I also feel like she hides a lot of trauma. I think the Hawkfire costume is very ugly
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

I love Bette being happy and cheerful but I also feel like she hides a lot of trauma.
    Haven't read the current Bette. May be true of her. I miss the trauma-free (or at least light on trauma) heroes. Everyone has to have tragic backgrounds. It's not that I have a philosophical objection to tragedy in background, it's that it's all of them now. So much angst, all the time. Even ones who originally had happy backgrounds (or at least no indication of deep tragedy/trauma) are now full of trauma from pre-superhero days.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Haven't read the current Bette. May be true of her. I miss the trauma-free (or at least light on trauma) heroes. Everyone has to have tragic backgrounds. It's not that I have a philosophical objection to tragedy in background, it's that it's all of them now. So much angst, all the time. Even ones who originally had happy backgrounds (or at least no indication of deep tragedy/trauma) are now full of trauma from pre-superhero days.
    Well I mean considering that three aunts are dead, her cousin is a villain, her other two cousins don't treat her very well, she's probably got neglectful parents, most of her friends are dead. Girl's probably got a lot of trauma
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

There is a wealth of potential storylines with Bette, either the fantastical ones I'm mentioned or any of the other ideas.

And they're all based on what we know, more or leas as Wayne/Kane family history, mostly canon, or little variations.

She is a blank slate for most of this.

Do the right thing, folks (at DC)
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

There is a wealth of potential storylines with Bette, either the fantastical ones I'm mentioned or any of the other ideas.

And they're all based on what we know, more or leas as Wayne/Kane family history, mostly canon, or little variations.

She is a blank slate for most of this.

Do the right thing, folks (at DC)
    I would love to work on a miniseries exploring her history! I have a pitch for it and everything

Well, I would look forward to that, or anyone who had a decent idea for Bette.

If she is never totally done away with, I imagine she could show up in future versions of Teen Titans or Young Justice, but those appearances may fluff her character back towards the flirtatious parts I'd not want to see.

I don't want her made younger and seemingly paired up with another version of Robin - this happened in a future Titans story from a while back. In that story Bette is involved with Tim Drake and apparantly becomes 'Batwoman'. I've never seen the story but have seen panels from it. Nice art.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

Well, I would look forward to that, or anyone who had a decent idea for Bette.

If she is never totally done away with, I imagine she could show up in future versions of Teen Titans or Young Justice, but those appearances may fluff her character back towards the flirtatious parts I'd not want to see.

I don't want her made younger and seemingly paired up with another version of Robin - this happened in a future Titans story from a while back. In that story Bette is involved with Tim Drake and apparantly becomes 'Batwoman'. I've never seen the story but have seen panels from it. Nice art.
    It was called Titans Tomorrow and it was really gross because she's like 30 at the time and Tim's still a teenager and she kisses him. Gross! But the concept of Bette being Batwoman dates back to the 60s. I have three proposals for love interests for Bette. Charley Parker, he's currently missing and aimless so that would work. Hank Hall, they hooked up a few times back in they, and Helena Bertinelli. I ship Betteinelli very hard

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    I have three proposals for love interests for Bette. Charley Parker, he's currently missing and aimless so that would work. Hank Hall, they hooked up a few times back in they, and Helena Bertinelli. I ship Betteinelli very hard
    For a casual thing, I had an idea of Booster/Bette, but never thought of them as a long-term.

Your post made me reread Charley's pre-COIE appearances. The JLA story was better than the Teen Titans one, IMO, but then I think that was very good era for JLA. Though one does wonder if he should be Bette's age or a couple years younger, since inconsistent aging is a thing in comics. Which version were you interested in? The post-Hawkworld thing just doesn't work me because I don't like what it did to the Hawks.

It was called Titans Tomorrow and it was really gross because she's like 30 at the time and Tim's still a teenager and she kisses him. Gross! But the concept of Bette being Batwoman dates back to the 60s. I have three proposals for love interests for Bette. Charley Parker, he's currently missing and aimless so that would work. Hank Hall, they hooked up a few times back in they, and Helena Bertinelli. I ship Betteinelli very hard
    Yes, the Alfred imaginary stories. These two instances of Betty/e as a potential Batwoman are separated by about 40 years, which rather speaks to the hold she had on various creators in terms of legacy. If the CW show had followed more of Kate's actual canon, there would have been a "Bette" and that character might have been bumped up to Batwoman, when the actress left the show.
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

For a casual thing, I had an idea of Booster/Bette, but never thought of them as a long-term.

Your post made me reread Charley's pre-COIE appearances. The JLA story was better than the Teen Titans one, IMO, but then I think that was very good era for JLA. Though one does wonder if he should be Bette's age or a couple years younger, since inconsistent aging is a thing in comics. Which version were you interested in? The post-Hawkworld thing just doesn't work me because I don't like what it did to the Hawks.
    I vote for the human guy who wanted to be Hawkman's sidekick but it never managed to work out. It would parallel how Bette never really got accepted by the wider Batfamily. So his pre-Hawkworld retcons

Incredible Member

Yes, the Alfred imaginary stories. These two instances of Betty/e as a potential Batwoman are separated by about 40 years, which rather speaks to the hold she had on various creators in terms of legacy. If the CW show had followed more of Kate's actual canon, there would have been a "Bette" and that character might have been bumped up to Batwoman, when the actress left the show.
    The first time Bette becomes Batwoman is in Batman #163. She and Dick end up together

I vote for the human guy who wanted to be Hawkman's sidekick but it never managed to work out. It would parallel how Bette never really got accepted by the wider Batfamily. So his pre-Hawkworld retcons
    Hmm, I never thought of Bette as approval-seeking for the Batfam, but maybe in some versions she was - I've read her pre-COIE stuff, but don't really remember the finer points (the silver age isn't my era for Batman, though I like silver age Flash and don't dislike major aspects of Batman as I do silver age Superman). I actually get annoyed at people who need her to be trained by Batman in youth or have relationship with him, yet never think Robin needed to be trained by Kathy or have any sort of personal relationship with her (obviously applies only when Kathy exists as Batwoman).

Indeed, I was kinda thinking more contrast that parallel - from is perspective like she's a rich tennis star and he's a gas station attendant. Well, actual job changed, perhaps. But he's an orphan who would have left the system at 18 or on graduating high school. Some states have continuing opportunities/training/funding/etc. but I was under the impression were more recent (haven't looked into it). Would be a good opportunity to explore a low-wage hero for a while. Anyway, insecurity issues, maybe.

Incredible Member

Hmm, I never thought of Bette as approval-seeking for the Batfam, but maybe in some versions she was - I've read her pre-COIE stuff, but don't really remember the finer points (the silver age isn't my era for Batman, though I like silver age Flash and don't dislike major aspects of Batman as I do silver age Superman). I actually get annoyed at people who need her to be trained by Batman in youth or have relationship with him, yet never think Robin needed to be trained by Kathy or have any sort of personal relationship with her (obviously applies only when Kathy exists as Batwoman).

Indeed, I was kinda thinking more contrast that parallel - from is perspective like she's a rich tennis star and he's a gas station attendant. Well, actual job changed, perhaps. But he's an orphan who would have left the system at 18 or on graduating high school. Some states have continuing opportunities/training/funding/etc. but I was under the impression were more recent (haven't looked into it). Would be a good opportunity to explore a low-wage hero for a while. Anyway, insecurity issues, maybe.
    I feel like Bette used to seek approval but doesn't anymore because the Batfamily refuses to acknowledge her. I feel like she and Charley could bond over not being accepted.

I also feel like Bette and Vicki Vale would get along but that's just me

The Pine Barrens NJ in Summer & Winter & Salem Mass. in Spring & Autumn

Since Batman 101 suggested that HALO & Jacob Marlowe might be coming to Gotham I think Bette Kane could be an addition to the HALO corporation maybe trained by a certain Coda warrior that is a part of his covert action team. It has potential I would love to see Bette Kane taken more seriously along with the idea of her being an operative of International Operations or S.H.A.D.E since they were not taken out by Leviathan
    Beware of spies traveling through your multiverse especially if they wear a 4

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by red winter View Post
    Since Batman 101 suggested that HALO & Jacob Marlowe might be coming to Gotham I think Bette Kane could be an addition to the HALO corporation maybe trained by a certain Coda warrior that is a part of his covert action team. It has potential I would love to see Bette Kane taken more seriously along with the idea of her being an operative of International Operations or S.H.A.D.E since they were not taken out by Leviathan
    what's Halo? Also, Bette taking down Spyral/Checkmate woud be cool.