Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

This was a fantastic issue.

It wasn't perfect since there were a bunch of unaddressed plots and others were very clearly rushed, but despite that, Lobdell was able to give satisfying plots to the biggest plots of his run and tying up all neatly in such a way that will give the series future writers as much freedom as they need to spin Jason into new stories.

For all of his flaws as a writer, Lobdell finally allowed Jason to grow and become a better character than the one pseudo villain he was stuck as before the N52. Thank you so much for everything, Mr. Lobdell.

Congrats to Lobdell on his run with Jason.

I too really jumped on the Red Hood train with the New 52 Outlaws, and he quickly became one of my favorite characters. Very thankful.

Oddly enough, this last issue actually fits in with a fanfic I've recently come across. Well, Jason and Artemis moving past the "just friends" stage at least.

Astonishing Member

I know there's cosmic circumstances behind it but I wouldn't mind seeing Jason be pretty pissed at Wally one of these days.

Oh what else? This was nice somewhat. There's of course all the open plots but so it goes. It's been a nice run with some nice use of classics, lost ideas and stuff that all rolls into the kind of outlaw/outlier vibe of the book. Not sure what else to say.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I know there's cosmic circumstances behind it but I wouldn't mind seeing Jason be pretty pissed at Wally one of these days.

Oh what else? This was nice somewhat. There's of course all the open plots but so it goes. It's been a nice run with some nice use of classics, lost ideas and stuff that all rolls into the kind of outlaw/outlier vibe of the book. Not sure what else to say.
    Mmmm... I don't think Wally was really responsible about what happened, to be honest. It was him, yes, but he wasn't in his mind, really (he was in a bad, bad place), and then the power was corrupted and what's not. I don't think he would blame Wally a lot, he didn't, on the record, even when he was clearly affected by it. I think, he may be upset and sad half and half by what happened. Angry about the whole mess, too.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post

Actually, back in the post #25 issue and pre-return of Artemis and Biz, Jason did say he wasn't angry at Wally. Even before the "cosmic circumstances" was shown.

Also, Jason has become pretty self aware and he knows that Roy will come back sooner or later because that is just what superheroes do.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Actually, back in the post #25 issue and pre-return of Artemis and Biz, Jason did say he wasn't angry at Wally. Even before the "cosmic circumstances" was shown.
    Oh solid. I should re-read this whole run and mark where the crossovers, event references and bits pop in. It's been pretty consistent - and that is quite consistent frankly with the level of maturity and growth Jason has gained in the last few years. But then again I just remembered ... Lobdell wrote Flash Forward. He's the one who made it a cosmic circumstance thing, so maybe he was hoping or working in fixing that quite a while ago.

There's part of me that really likes how ... accidentally appropriate Red Hood has been. As a character introduced in the 80s whose return to life in 2004-5 corresponded with sort of giving him a role akin to the gritty violent antiheroes of the 1980s that he came to life along with but then updating him with the last 20 years of those kinds of characters, like The Punisher and such ... he kind of evolves ... I guess given the nature of the New 52 inevitably, but more appropriate for him than any other character, into ... well, his sort of "The Nineties" phase.

Whatever Jason's next book is I guess should continue the trend of him "catching up" with his peers who got to live through all those eras as he goes through his Aughts Phase, bringing him finally back to where he left off back in '05, as he gets back in touch with his Classic sense of style, tries to rebuild a status quo only to get knocked down by a series of unfortunate crossover events that lead to us learning that he built a new Brother Eye-like architecture of his own hubris, then going on a year long trip to get back in touch with why he became Red Hood in the first place.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Spectacular Member

I've been reading rhato since 2012 and I really love this collection. The worst time was when tynion was the writer. but now that everything is over I am very afraid! Almost every time Jason is written in other books they do it very badly! I think Lobdel was the only one who wrote it well and consistently always!

I have fear that new writers do not know anything about the character and write inconsistent with a decade of development in his own book!

Saying that Lobdell is the only one who get Jason is weird statement because no one had the chance to write Jason besides him (and Tynion who to be be fair to him, had to pick up the leftovers from Lobdell).

You can't Judge his appearances in other books that aren't his as a proof that writers "don't get him". Jason isn't complicated character to begin with and it's only fair to judge Lobdell's with whoever is taking over Red Hood on March.

And while I did enjoy RHATO, Lobdell has been very inconsistent with Jason despite writing him for so long. Lobdell himself is a pretty inconsistent writer.

Personally, I think Winnick's take on Jason is still the best one and easily my favourite.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I really enjoyed this issue, but (and I can’t believe I’m saying this) it did make me wish Joker’s Daughter was more involved in the back half of this series.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    Saying that Lobdell is the only one who get Jason is weird statement because no one had the chance to write Jason besides him (and Tynion who to be be fair to him, had to pick up the leftovers from Lobdell).

You can't Judge his appearances in other books that aren't his as a proof that writers "don't get him". Jason isn't complicated character to begin with and it's only fair to judge Lobdell's with whoever is taking over Red Hood on March.

And while I did enjoy RHATO, Lobdell has been very inconsistent with Jason despite writing him for so long. Lobdell himself is a pretty inconsistent writer.

Personally, I think Winnick's take on Jason is still the best one and easily my favourite.
    what happens whenever jason is written in other books? he is out of characterization like 3 jokers

There's no definitive take on Jason to say he is being "out of character" in TTK or otherwise. He is inconsistent in his own book.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by Rise View Post
    There's no definitive take on Jason to say he is being "out of character" in TTK or otherwise. He is inconsistent in his own book.
    He is not. At least not when Lobdell wrote him.

Jason being inconsistently written in other books was a common issue but nowadays he's written more in line with Lobdell's take.

Also, just for the sheer amount of time he was written like that, Lobdell's take has become Jason's definitive characterization.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    He is not. At least not when Lobdell wrote him.

Jason being inconsistently written in other books was a common issue but nowadays he's written more in line with Lobdell's take.

Also, just for the sheer amount of time he was written like that, Lobdell's take has become Jason's definitive characterization.
    this
    a whole decade of characterization is enough!