Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

The wrestler wins, as long as they have the skill and power to compete with the boxer. Why? The boxer is stuck with boxing rules, wrestlers do whatever. They're allowed to hit opponents with steel chairs!

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    The wrestler wins, as long as they have the skill and power to compete with the boxer. Why? The boxer is stuck with boxing rules, wrestlers do whatever. They're allowed to hit opponents with steel chairs!
    if that was the case, then new jack would literally kill the boxer.

new jack would not give a **** about really murdering a dude in the ring. believe me, he's tried.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Just make sure it's a No-DQ match first.

Or your good buddies with Triple H.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

So obviously I need to bring another franchise into this, Incineroar, Grapploct, and Hwalucha vs. Hitmonchan and... Crabrawler??
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    so any wrestler with any kind of outside training besides pro wrestling can't be counted as a "pure" pro wrestler?
    I would say that what he's allowed to do in the match is what matters. Since pro wrestling is obviously choreographed, there would have to be rules that were actually enforced. I believe that, in the Ali/ Inoki match, the boxer was allowed to wrestle to get out of a hold but, once out, if he got out, the ref would force a break to get to their feet again. The wrestler could use strikes that were legal in a pro wrestling match but a punch would have been a warning or DQ. if Ali, in the process of getting out of a hold had put Inoki into a hold, they would have to break. Clearly. Inoki was allowed to kick which has nothing to do with wrestling.

But I honestly think the bore-fest of that match was why every such match since then has been choreographed. Besides, to get a true boxer vs. wrestler match, it would have to be boxer vs. collegiate wrestler or pro wrestler who has real wrestling experience. Otherwise, the debate just turns into: Well, the boxer can't beat a guy who teleports and gets up from a bulldozer running over him and who does things that aren't wrestling at all.
    Power with Girl is better.

Extraordinary Member

How would Andre do with a Boxer?

Astonishing Member

Bob Backlund

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    I remember seeing that and a friend of mine using it as an argument that a wrestler could easily beat a boxer only for his brother to point out the obvious that it was a choreographed scenario. But it was funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    How would Andre do with a Boxer?
    In a real match, well, it would have to be Andre in his prime. He certainly would have a reach advantage and his opponent would have to strike to the body which would increase Andre's chances of grabbing him.

Even by the time of the Wepner match in 1976, Andre was in no shape to do something like that for real and was getting slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wzm2qveUi54

Some background on the Ali/ Inoki match.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    I would say that what he's allowed to do in the match is what matters. Since pro wrestling is obviously choreographed, there would have to be rules that were actually enforced. I believe that, in the Ali/ Inoki match, the boxer was allowed to wrestle to get out of a hold but, once out, if he got out, the ref would force a break to get to their feet again. The wrestler could use strikes that were legal in a pro wrestling match but a punch would have been a warning or DQ. if Ali, in the process of getting out of a hold had put Inoki into a hold, they would have to break. Clearly. Inoki was allowed to kick which has nothing to do with wrestling.

But I honestly think the bore-fest of that match was why every such match since then has been choreographed. Besides, to get a true boxer vs. wrestler match, it would have to be boxer vs. collegiate wrestler or pro wrestler who has real wrestling experience. Otherwise, the debate just turns into: Well, the boxer can't beat a guy who teleports and gets up from a bulldozer running over him and who does things that aren't wrestling at all.
    i was more put off by the "pure" pro wrestler thing.

first time i've ever heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    In a real match, well, it would have to be Andre in his prime. He certainly would have a reach advantage and his opponent would have to strike to the body which would increase Andre's chances of grabbing him.

Even by the time of the Wepner match in 1976, Andre was in no shape to do something like that for real and was getting slow.
    agreed. by the time of andre's most famous match, his bout with hogan, he was barely able to move proper and he was in a lot of pain. but bookers had to be careful with how they treated andre because due to his size, if andre suddenly decided he didn't wanna lose a match, he didn't lose a match. i mean, what could you do? force him into a pin. but thankfully, andre had a good head for the business and didn't have that much of a ego.