Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 59
  1. #31
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    What.

    *character limit*
    It's true. One of the semi-main antagonists in OPM is in fact that second one.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."
    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

  2. #32
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,453

    Default

    The speed thing has been pretty addressed with regards to Saitama.

    For Tatsumaki, she has a couple of things to consider which help her tremendously:

    1. She displays ridiculously high reaction speeds with her powers, not having any issue keeping up with monsters who blitz heros, with Garou, etc. She's not Saitama's level, but nobody in the series is.

    2. She clearly has high-end autoshields: she's been attacked by surprise (her titanic ego ensures that she's going to be surprised from time to time) and she survives handily each and every time.

    I don't think that Boros' uncharged blitz or attacks will let him one-shot her, but even before that, I don't think that he can really blitz her anyway. Plus, of course, she can fly.

    She's just a really bad matchup for a person who doesn't have feats for flight, an exceedingly strong and fast ranged game, or some other esoteric. Boros is just strong and fast and tough, and that's not good enough against the Tornado. I'd say he owns the other S-class people due to their inability to put him down, react to him and/or tank his shots. Flashy and (probably) Atomic Samurai are faster, but aren't doing enough damage or overcoming his regen. The fliers (Metal Knight and Genos) aren't fast enough, tough enough or hitting hard enough. Bang may be quicker but can't do as much as Flashy and Samurai - he's getting dropped. Child Emporer is too slow. Pig God is too slow. Superalloy is too slow and probably breakable much like Garou broke him. Watchdog Man won't even show up for the fight, but if he does, he's in the same boat as Bang.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."
    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

  3. #33
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I'd say he owns the other S-class people due to their inability to put him down, react to him and/or tank his shots. Flashy and (probably) Atomic Samurai are faster, but aren't doing enough damage or overcoming his regen.
    With the whole not being able to overcome his regen thing, Flashy I'd agree. Atomic Samurai though? His concentrated slash was utterly ridiculous. Black Sperm could regen a full copy of himself out of chunks less than a centimetre across instantly but concentrated slash just utterly erased him.

    There's a big question of whether he can cut through Boros' pretty decent durability but, assuming he can, Boros really does not want to get hit with concentrated slash because it will leave him nothing to regenerate from.

    The fliers (Metal Knight and Genos) aren't fast enough, tough enough or hitting hard enough.
    Just a slight caveat here, Genos' newest form, I believe it's version 5 or 6, has utterly insane firepower, as in he was holding off Psychos/Orochi's "cut a chunk off of the planet beam," with his maximum power. He could only maintain it for ten seconds apparently but I am of the opinion that Boros does not want to get hit with that.

    Bang may be quicker but can't do as much as Flashy and Samurai - he's getting dropped. Child Emporer is too slow. Pig God is too slow. Superalloy is too slow and probably breakable much like Garou broke him. Watchdog Man won't even show up for the fight, but if he does, he's in the same boat as Bang.
    Agreed with the rest. Though I will be interested to see how Murata interprets Bang's rampage against the cadres from the original webcomic when we get to it. I mean, events are already wildly different at this point so it might not happen but, as it stands, Bang has hitherto unexplored depths of power, speed and strength. Not sure how that will stack up to a match with Boros but the old dude has a lot of power in the tank.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  4. #34
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    With the whole not being able to overcome his regen thing, Flashy I'd agree. Atomic Samurai though? His concentrated slash was utterly ridiculous. Black Sperm could regen a full copy of himself out of chunks less than a centimetre across instantly but concentrated slash just utterly erased him.

    There's a big question of whether he can cut through Boros' pretty decent durability but, assuming he can, Boros really does not want to get hit with concentrated slash because it will leave him nothing to regenerate from.
    Fair point on the concentrated slash - Atomic Samurai is one of the harder ones for me to really categorize. His speed isn't as perfectly explicit as Flashy, but he's got some really nice speedfeats that DO count.


    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Just a slight caveat here, Genos' newest form, I believe it's version 5 or 6, has utterly insane firepower, as in he was holding off Psychos/Orochi's "cut a chunk off of the planet beam," with his maximum power. He could only maintain it for ten seconds apparently but I am of the opinion that Boros does not want to get hit with that.
    True, I spaced on that. Genos still is there to play the Worf role, but he's definitely got some extremely high output. Still don't think that he could hit Boros.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Agreed with the rest. Though I will be interested to see how Murata interprets Bang's rampage against the cadres from the original webcomic when we get to it. I mean, events are already wildly different at this point so it might not happen but, as it stands, Bang has hitherto unexplored depths of power, speed and strength. Not sure how that will stack up to a match with Boros but the old dude has a lot of power in the tank.
    Yeah, I'm up to date on the webcomic (at least everything that I can find that has been translated to English), and it's damn near a different story in a lot of places.

    Saitama just blows the powercurve so far out of whack that it can be easy to underestimate other players.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."
    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

  5. #35
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Fair point on the concentrated slash - Atomic Samurai is one of the harder ones for me to really categorize. His speed isn't as perfectly explicit as Flashy, but he's got some really nice speedfeats that DO count.
    I commented as much in my recent speed breakdown for OPM. Dude is clearly wicked fast, it's just really hard to tell how fast he is next to the top tiers because he hasn't interacted with them much.

    True, I spaced on that. Genos still is there to play the Worf role, but he's definitely got some extremely high output. Still don't think that he could hit Boros.
    Eeeeh... he might be able to. Boros' speed not being clear is pretty irritating but Genos is well into the multimach. It's weird to say but I think he could have a shot here. Trouble is we have no idea how fast Boros actually is in comparison to say... Speed of Sound Sonic for example.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  6. #36
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I commented as much in my recent speed breakdown for OPM. Dude is clearly wicked fast, it's just really hard to tell how fast he is next to the top tiers because he hasn't interacted with them much.
    This part leads to...

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Eeeeh... he might be able to. Boros' speed not being clear is pretty irritating but Genos is well into the multimach. It's weird to say but I think he could have a shot here. Trouble is we have no idea how fast Boros actually is in comparison to say... Speed of Sound Sonic for example.
    ...same thing here: I really enjoy OPM, but the downside of having so many protagonists, antagonists and "others" is that they don't really interract so often. Plus, of course, 1/4 of the screen time or so is Saitama, who is just so very far beyond everyone else that his interractions don't add a tremendous amount to the discussion. We know that he's the fastest and the strongest, but it's so far beyond that it's not useful for classifying others.

    Yet another of those rare instances where the creative team failed to consider Rumbles when producing their media. The nerve of them.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."
    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

  7. #37
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    This part leads to...



    ...same thing here: I really enjoy OPM, but the downside of having so many protagonists, antagonists and "others" is that they don't really interract so often. Plus, of course, 1/4 of the screen time or so is Saitama, who is just so very far beyond everyone else that his interractions don't add a tremendous amount to the discussion. We know that he's the fastest and the strongest, but it's so far beyond that it's not useful for classifying others.

    Yet another of those rare instances where the creative team failed to consider Rumbles when producing their media. The nerve of them.
    To be fair, OPM only really has this problem when comparing characters within the series to each other. The series is REALLY good at giving us documentable feats in general, even with Saitama's top end being hereto unknown.

  8. #38
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,796

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    This part leads to...

    ...same thing here: I really enjoy OPM, but the downside of having so many protagonists, antagonists and "others" is that they don't really interract so often. Plus, of course, 1/4 of the screen time or so is Saitama, who is just so very far beyond everyone else that his interractions don't add a tremendous amount to the discussion. We know that he's the fastest and the strongest, but it's so far beyond that it's not useful for classifying others.

    Yet another of those rare instances where the creative team failed to consider Rumbles when producing their media. The nerve of them.
    I'd personally disagree with this assessment. Despite the premise of the story, Saitama is completely unassailable and everyone else is nothing to him, it goes out of it's way to have supporting and side characters get good moments and maintains a solid and well realised power hierarchy.

    There's other series that have done the whole "one guy stands above all others," bit, but they do not do anywhere near as much work as OPM does in realising and maintaining its supporting cast.

    Saitama's a problem because he's essentially impossible to use as a yardstick but apart from that OPM is very Rumbles friendly.

    Mob Psycho 100, same author, was much the same.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  9. #39
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I'd personally disagree with this assessment. Despite the premise of the story, Saitama is completely unassailable and everyone else is nothing to him, it goes out of it's way to have supporting and side characters get good moments and maintains a solid and well realised power hierarchy.

    There's other series that have done the whole "one guy stands above all others," bit, but they do not do anywhere near as much work as OPM does in realising and maintaining its supporting cast.

    Saitama's a problem because he's essentially impossible to use as a yardstick but apart from that OPM is very Rumbles friendly.

    Mob Psycho 100, same author, was much the same.
    Part of why OPM does such a good job with its supporting cast is because of just how much Saitama stands above everyone else. Goku usually stands above all the other heroes, for example, but at bare minimum they will always introduce a villain stronger than him. They will probably never do that for Saitama which means sustaining the story and any sort of tension on him alone would be impossible.

  10. #40
    Extraordinary Member Cody's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    "Jut fine," huh? Interesting interpretation. Saitama only hit Boros three times prior to the consecutive punches barrage.
    And held up reasonably fine compared to everyone and everything else both before and after the times you mentioned whenn hit by the same punch. That is what I meant considering the lack of total bloody mess or destruction to Boros that happens to literally everything else that isn't as tough as him .

    Or are you saying you think Tatsumaki could survive even one normal punch from Caped Baldy?

    Like, when I said "just fine" it wasn't meant to say he no wild it lol, it was in comparison to the effect his punches usually have on things.

    Based on other things Saitama has done/destroyed with his casual hits and the level Tatsumaki plays about it, I see no reason why she wouldn't be able to rend him to pieces at her peak.
    Nothing she has ever done comes close to the impact Saitamas normal punches have tbh.

    Okay, 1) No it wasn't the size of a city:



    You can see both Saitama and the city for scale. It's like, the size of city block tops.
    My bad on that one then. I blame Kuro :P.

    And 2) I literally just cited Tatsumaki ripping out chunks of the earth far larger than that to stop an entire coastline being destroyed by massive tsunamis earlier in the thread. That meteor would not be a problem for her in the slightest:
    I'd say the meteor was a little bigger than those rocks individually, but yes all together that would be bigger. But would you compare ripping out earth like objects such as those to outright shattering one from the shere force of ones casual punch?


    AGAIN, earlier in this very thread, I cited Tatsumaki blocking energy beams that were capable of slicing of significant chunks of the planet. That is far in excess of the levels of energy Boros puts out ambiently.
    Yeah but that is hardly comparable to having the energy output to glass the entire planet while simultaneously needing a force far greater in power to both overwhelm said attack and kill the one who used it. I mean considering just how much more powerful the mere shockwave of Saitamas attack was compared to what was supposed to be a planet wide surface erasing attack; one could argue it required what was likely(based on scaling)moon shattering force to finally take Boros down. I fail to see Tatsumaki outputting that much force against Boros.

    One, that's not a feat, so please try again.

    Two, Saitama at no point tried to blitz him in their fight.
    When did I say he did? I said he blitzed Flashy Flash by moving so fast that he(Flashy)couldn't even see him. That was never really the case with Boros like it was with Flashy, Sonic, and Genos.

    Are you saying Tatsumaki is as fast as any of those 3, let alone Boros?

    Three, recently in the manga Saitama literally had a moment where he and Flashy Flash killed some giant monsters together and his response was, admiringly, "Hey, you're kinda fast," so your entire premise is flawed here.
    Neat. Saitama had a look of surprise when Boros started his initial attack on Saitama after going into his final transformation, suggesting his was at least a little surprised at his attack. Heck, Saitama usually blocks attacks sent his way, even when they can't hurt him. As was the case with Genos, Sonic, and even Boros up till that transformation. All in all, I don't think it is out there to suggest Boros is at least in the same speed bracket as Sonic and Genos at their peaks in the manga/webcomic, if not as fast as Flashy based on his performance against Saitama. The guy even reacted to Saitamas own attack when he countered Saitamas own punch with his own(and lost an arm in the process, but still held up "just fine" compared to literally everything else that received that type of punch from Saitama). This is ignoring word of God statements which suggest he is in the same their as Garou, but I get that Rumble rules disallow that, though I feel that the authors intended presentation should at least be taken into some consideration here.

    I mean, Boros has shown a level of speed, durability,and damage output to suggest that all he needs is one solid hit on Tatsumaki to win the fight. Tatsumaki might have a chance, but I think she has a lot going against her here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Against Genos and Boros, he did a lot of dodging around. But look at the Boros fight again. They are fighting at high speeds but Boros is doing all the attacking. Evey time Saitama actually took a swing on Boros, Boros got hit.

    Saitama was moving so fast that Geno's didn't realize he was fighting an afterimage for a bit of their fight. I'd say that's a blitz, though Genos got a heck of a lot faster since then.
    Last edited by Cody; 10-26-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Physically grabbing an released Black Hole to stop it is like throwing a sandwich at Galactus to stop him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    I stand by my belief of Toriyama seeing a certain match online and going "Oh Yeah?!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Every time you say the name of some kind of nonsense martial art, an angel gets its wings, and Val Armorr learns the martial art, retroactively founds it, then super karates the angel unconscious with it.
    Saint Seiya Online:
    https://reborngn.com/?page=register&ref=408192
    ^-my referral

  11. #41
    Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    To be fair, OPM only really has this problem when comparing characters within the series to each other. The series is REALLY good at giving us documentable feats in general, even with Saitama's top end being hereto unknown.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I'd personally disagree with this assessment. Despite the premise of the story, Saitama is completely unassailable and everyone else is nothing to him, it goes out of it's way to have supporting and side characters get good moments and maintains a solid and well realised power hierarchy.

    There's other series that have done the whole "one guy stands above all others," bit, but they do not do anywhere near as much work as OPM does in realising and maintaining its supporting cast.

    Saitama's a problem because he's essentially impossible to use as a yardstick but apart from that OPM is very Rumbles friendly.

    Mob Psycho 100, same author, was much the same.
    I quoted both of you because I realize I wasn't totally clear.

    I agree that feats are generally good and the hierarchy is solid as well - unlike most series, there is actually an established hierarchy/ranking directly in the series!

    What I was saying is that each of the myriad heroes and villains don't get an abundance of on-panel time because there are so many of them, thus reducing the absolute number of feats compared to many other series. This means that someone like Atomic Samurai has no more than a couple of issues of primary characterization, and most of that is fighting beings that the other cast members haven't fought or easily wasting ones who beat vastly inferior fighters, making it difficult to absolutely quantify them. Over the span of 65 issues of DB Super, Vegeta is a main combattant for 15 or more, with multiple entire issues dedicated to him more or less alone, and Goku for 20 or more, again with multiple issues dedicated to him. Over 130ish of OPM, Atomic Samurai has maybe 2 issues worth of panels where he's fighting, and some of that involves other characters as well. That just means that there are fewer feats, and, as stated, many of those feats are somewhat diluted given that the opponents never face anyone else remotely on AS's level, as he cleans them up.

    It's still probably my favorite series running, and one of only two that I hunt down to read ASAP.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta

    "Get off my lawn!

    ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops."
    - Sharpandpointies

    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

  12. #42
    Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    6,796

    Default

    Oh boy, really wild takes from Cody here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    And held up reasonably fine compared to everyone and everything else both before and after the times you mentioned whenn hit by the same punch. That is what I meant considering the lack of total bloody mess or destruction to Boros that happens to literally everything else that isn't as tough as him .

    Or are you saying you think Tatsumaki could survive even one normal punch from Caped Baldy?

    Like, when I said "just fine" it wasn't meant to say he no wild it lol, it was in comparison to the effect his punches usually have on things.
    So, when you said "just fine," you somehow actually meant "chest caved in and coughing up blood at the peak of his power, and literally being dismembered," Good to know this interesting use of terms. You might wish to be clearer in future.

    And yes, with her barrier up, I have every confidence Tatsumaki could survive a normal hit from Saitama. It would stress her a lot but her barrier and feats of blocking attacks are ridiculously high end.

    Nothing she has ever done comes close to the impact Saitamas normal punches have tbh.
    Tatsumaki: Tears out near city-sized chunks of rock from the earth to stop coastline-wide tsunamis with ease.

    Tatsumaki: Blocks a beam that carved an entire chunk off the planet with ease.

    Tatsumaki: Distorts an entire city into a spiral simply from the blowback of her employing the upper levels of her power against an opponent.

    Cody: Nothing she's ever done has come close to a basic punch from Saitama.

    -____-

    Do I have to even go into why this is an incredibly poor argument? I feel like it's pretty self-evident.

    I'd say the meteor was a little bigger than those rocks individually, but yes all together that would be bigger. But would you compare ripping out earth like objects such as those to outright shattering one from the shere force of ones casual punch?
    You could say that the meteor was bigger than the individual chunks of earth Tatsumaki pulled out of the ground. Unfortunately, you'd be hilariously incorrect but then that seems to be par for the course with your participation in this thread so far.

    And yes,(can't believe I have to say this) tearing abominably huge chunks of rock out of the earth to stop enormous tsunamis from wrecking an entire coastline is significantly more impressive than punching a rock the size of a city block to pieces.

    Yeah but that is hardly comparable to having the energy output to glass the entire planet while simultaneously needing a force far greater in power to both overwhelm said attack and kill the one who used it. I mean considering just how much more powerful the mere shockwave of Saitamas attack was compared to what was supposed to be a planet wide surface erasing attack; one could argue it required what was likely(based on scaling)moon shattering force to finally take Boros down. I fail to see Tatsumaki outputting that much force against Boros.
    Oho, changing your argument are we?

    Your argument was that Tatsumaki couldn't defend against the level of energy that Boros puts out from being in his Meteoric Burst form just by moving. I cited the fact that her barrier has dealt with energy far in excess of that and now you're pretending we're talking about his peak levels of power? Bad form Cody, bad form indeed.

    The energy levels of Boros moving around is not the same as Collapsing Star Roaring Cannon, which I myself specifically cited as "being a problem," in my first post.

    Also, some impressive reaching and use of the term "scaling," in there.

    When did I say he did? I said he blitzed Flashy Flash by moving so fast that he(Flashy)couldn't even see him. That was never really the case with Boros like it was with Flashy, Sonic, and Genos.

    Are you saying Tatsumaki is as fast as any of those 3, let alone Boros?
    Again, I'm amused that you seem to be changing your argument. I asked you to provide a single feat of Boros being even remotely as fast as Flashy Flash. Citing Saitama as not bothering to blitz Boros doesn't prove you anything because it just shows Saitama didn't try.

    Based on her presentation and the way she treats Genos and Sonic minor annoyances in their encounters, I have no doubt that Tatsumaki is faster than Genos and Sonic. Sonic might be problematic with Fourfold Burial but that's a bit too specific a question.

    Neat. Saitama had a look of surprise when Boros started his initial attack on Saitama after going into his final transformation, suggesting his was at least a little surprised at his attack. Heck, Saitama usually blocks attacks sent his way, even when they can't hurt him. As was the case with Genos, Sonic, and even Boros up till that transformation. All in all, I don't think it is out there to suggest Boros is at least in the same speed bracket as Sonic and Genos at their peaks in the manga/webcomic, if not as fast as Flashy based on his performance against Saitama. The guy even reacted to Saitamas own attack when he countered Saitamas own punch with his own(and lost an arm in the process, but still held up "just fine" compared to literally everything else that received that type of punch from Saitama). This is ignoring word of God statements which suggest he is in the same their as Garou, but I get that Rumble rules disallow that, though I feel that the authors intended presentation should at least be taken into some consideration here.

    I mean, Boros has shown a level of speed, durability,and damage output to suggest that all he needs is one solid hit on Tatsumaki to win the fight. Tatsumaki might have a chance, but I think she has a lot going against her here
    Again, I already addressed the authorial statement regarding Garou. My point, which I made on the previous pages, is that just because author says "they are about the same levels of power,"

    Actually you know what, let me get the quote here, since you seem to be leaning on it a lot:

    Quote Originally Posted by ONE
    ONE: Garou or Boros, who would win? Before, Boros was definitely the stronger one, but Garou is now a near-perfect monster. I don't really know. A good match . . . I do believe Garou is stronger in close combat where things like punches and kicks can generally be avoided.
    Taken from a NicoNico interview. This is not a firm statement that Boros has the same stats as Garou in terms of speed or strength. Boros is obviously physically stronger, I would argue that Garou is obviously faster based on the feats.

    Given that Boros has not shown speed beyond what Tatsumaki can handle, has no examples of being able to resist Tatsumaki just throwing him into space and has to change form to access the absolute peak of his power, I don't see how he's winning this. Especially with the rest of the S Class providing him with minor harrassment on the way.
    Last edited by Nik Hasta; 10-27-2020 at 02:08 AM.
    Twitter
    Tumblr
    Follow my social media for animations and art and junk.
    Art Thread on CBR

  13. #43
    Mighty Member Kuro's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,159

    Default

    Whoa, whoa. Anymore can mistake the size of that meteor. At general glance, it does look pretty damn big. And I’m going pretty sure even a meteor at that size can create a pretty sizable crater

  14. #44
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,539

    Default

    Neat. Saitama had a look of surprise when Boros started his initial attack on Saitama after going into his final transformation, suggesting his was at least a little surprised at his attack.
    Saitama's expression is specifically a thing the artist uses to mislead the reader about his level of danger. In the Carnage Kabuto fight, it is used to set up the Saturday Sale punchline. In the Boros fight, it is used to make the audience think that maybe, just maybe, Saitama is actually being challenged.


    Nik has already covered most of this rather well, but to zero in on my specific point:
    Heck, Saitama usually blocks attacks sent his way, even when they can't hurt him.
    He really doesn't. Saitama usually lets everything hit him. There are a small number of exceptions I'll cover below, but most attacks he just takes on the chin. He ignored Deep Sea King. He let Bicepts King wail on him despite it causing a lot more collateral damage. He Carnage Kabuto treat him like a pinball. He let monster Bakuzan perform his signature combo. He let Orochi unleash all kinds of stuff on him In the manga bonus chapters he lets himself be frozen by that wimpy Green Bean, swallowed by an armadillo monster.

    Generally he only bothers dodging stuff that would destroy his costume, a la Genos's incineration cannons.
    As was the case with Genos,
    He only bothered doing this to protect his costume and indulge Genos.

    Sonic,
    He really only blocks edged weapon attacks, which could be a sign of a Wonder Woman style piercing weakness, except he bounced the "cuts through buildings" claws of Nyan-Nyan off his skull. More likely, he either reflexively blocks those out of a vestigial instinct to avoid being cut, or out of a intuitive understanding that proving himself faster than Sonic, Hellfire, and the like is a bigger display of dominance than simply showing they can't hurt him.

    and even Boros up till that transformation
    He let Boros knock him through the ship at various points post transformation, and post burst lets Boros land a couple of big hits for no reason. And Boros was the closest Saitama came to getting to actually fight post hair loss. Subsequently, he actually lets Boros fight. It is pretty similar to what he did against Genos, down to straight up lying to protect his opponent's ego.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post

    Saitama was moving so fast that Geno's didn't realize he was fighting an afterimage for a bit of their fight. I'd say that's a blitz, though Genos got a heck of a lot faster since then.
    Sure, he moved fast enough to blitz Genos, but dodging attacks is not a blitz. A blitz is launching an attack or attacks faster than the target can defend against. Saitama doesn't do this until the end of the fight, because his attack IS the end of a fight.

    Arguing that Boros is nearly as fast as Saitama or whatever is not only bad by rumbles standards for the same reason arguing Doomsday is as fast as Superman or whatever. It is also bad because it completely ignores the context of the fight.

  15. #45
    Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I quoted both of you because I realize I wasn't totally clear.

    I agree that feats are generally good and the hierarchy is solid as well - unlike most series, there is actually an established hierarchy/ranking directly in the series!

    What I was saying is that each of the myriad heroes and villains don't get an abundance of on-panel time because there are so many of them, thus reducing the absolute number of feats compared to many other series. This means that someone like Atomic Samurai has no more than a couple of issues of primary characterization, and most of that is fighting beings that the other cast members haven't fought or easily wasting ones who beat vastly inferior fighters, making it difficult to absolutely quantify them. Over the span of 65 issues of DB Super, Vegeta is a main combattant for 15 or more, with multiple entire issues dedicated to him more or less alone, and Goku for 20 or more, again with multiple issues dedicated to him. Over 130ish of OPM, Atomic Samurai has maybe 2 issues worth of panels where he's fighting, and some of that involves other characters as well. That just means that there are fewer feats, and, as stated, many of those feats are somewhat diluted given that the opponents never face anyone else remotely on AS's level, as he cleans them up.

    It's still probably my favorite series running, and one of only two that I hunt down to read ASAP.
    Agreed on all fronts. While the series has a few cringeworthy common anime and super hero pitfalls (over sexualization, poor racial choices, and such) it is a simultaneously a hilarious parody while still being a lovingly well executed entry to its genre.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •