Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JTHM View Post
    Because the degree of his powers seem to fluctuate a lot depending on the story. So in some stories you have him fighting the likes of Hulk when it comes to general Marvel characters, but then the other you have him being almost completely street level and only somewhat above peak human. In some comics he takes punches that would break city blocks but in others a gunshot may kill him. Etc etc. That's really the biggest thing. He is either a high street level hero or just a step below the Marvel heavy hitters depending on the story, that makes him hard to rank.
    That’s exactly my point. Marvel doesn’t seem to be consistent in regards to the character. When you look at his skill and ability base objectively, the guy should theoretically be a one man wrecking crew. I miss the day’s of having an artist capture some of this in panels having Spidey bounce all over the place for example. Those creative and aesthetic displays of his abilities are almost completely gone nowadays. The fights have become so bland as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    That’s exactly my point. Marvel doesn’t seem to be consistent in regards to the character. When you look at his skill and ability base objectively, the guy should theoretically be a one man wrecking crew. I miss the day’s of having an artist capture some of this in panels having Spidey bounce all over the place for example. Those creative and aesthetic displays of his abilities are almost completely gone nowadays. The fights have become so bland as a result.
    Yeah, Spidey's speed looks very unimpressive these days, even under Spencer, 'cause while his Spidey uses his brain more than Slott's, we don't having him jumping all over the place to dodge ****, think the only time he showed it was in that Free Comic Book Day issue, where Spidey dodged that Big Wheel, but other than that, yeah, he's not showing off his speed for a lot time...

Last one I remember is from Sensational Spider-Man Annual:

Which, if this is not just the last one I remember, but actually the last time his speed was shown off like this, then that sucks because that was 13 years ago.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Yeah, Spidey's speed looks very unimpressive these days, even under Spencer, 'cause while his Spidey uses his brain more than Slott's, we don't having him jumping all over the place to dodge ****, think the only time he showed it was in that Free Comic Book Day issue, where Spidey dodged that Big Wheel, but other than that, yeah, he's not showing off his speed for a lot time...

Which, if this is not just the last one I remember, but actually the last time his speed was shown off like this, then that sucks because that was 13 years ago.
    Indeed. Spider-agility and spider-strength are great, but we need more spider-speed, too!
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Spider-Man's power level is tied to many different abilities. He's probably not the best at any one thing, but as an overall skillset he is the most versatile.

I really liked the fight between him and Punisher in Conway's introduction to that character in ASM #129. It highlights Spider-Man's ability to hold back even against a foe he has never met before and who intends on killing him.

Also the last fight against Ultimate Norman Osborn. He died, yes, but it showed just how far he would go and the sacrifice he is willing to make for those he loves. Peter was literally fighting for his and everyone else's lives. It directly hearkens back to his loss of Uncle Ben and it is the kind of fight only Spider-Man would take on.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Also....That was one hell of an issue. It was the best issue to come out of the entire unmasking era and also one of my favorite all time stand alone Spider-Man stories. It has everything that makes a good Spider-Man story wrapped into one nice package.

As far as Spider-Man fights and action in comics go, I do blame some of the blandness and simplicity from the creative team on the fans. I feel we just too quickly accept what’s given to us. Pacing for actions sequences has just seemed to take a back seat to everything else in comics nowadays. Some of the transitions from panel to panel during a fight sequence don’t even make sense at times. It honestly feels like forever since a fight in a Spiderman comic checked off all the boxes from creativity, emotion, art quality, pacing and so on.

Also before anyone jumps in here and says “Story is the most important part in anything”....I’m not saying it isn’t. There is nothing more important then story and dialogue when it comes to comics. However, action sequences and displaying a characters abilities faithfully are also important...and I’m really missing the days of being able to lose myself in a kickass Spider-Man fight that literally jumps off the pages due to the intensity, art and emotion.

As far as Spider-Man fights and action in comics go, I do blame some of the blandness and simplicity from the creative team on the fans. I feel we just too quickly accept what’s given to us. Pacing for actions sequences has just seemed to take a back seat to everything else in comics nowadays. Some of the transitions from panel to panel during a fight sequence don’t even make sense at times. It honestly feels like forever since a fight in a Spiderman comic checked off all the boxes from creativity, emotion, art quality, pacing and so on.

Also before anyone jumps in here and says “Story is the most important part in anything”....I’m not saying it isn’t. There is nothing more important then story and dialogue when it comes to comics. However, action sequences and displaying a characters abilities faithfully are also important...and I’m really missing the days of being able to lose myself in a kickass Spider-Man fight that literally jumps off the pages due to the intensity, art and emotion.
    I agree with you in that sense. As superhero comics have tried to get away from the supposed "kid's stuff", they've lost some exciting elements like good fights, including Spider-Man. That said, if you're reading "Last Remains", we already know that issues #52 and #53 are going to have a knock-down drag-out fight between Spider-Man and Kindred. Reminds me of Spider-Man vs. Morlun, and I can't wait!

A lot of people don't even know what a good fight in a comic is supposed to look like, 'cause like, 90% of shonen manga battles are nonsensical disasters, but because it looks cool, fans will just accept it, so it's not surprising super-hero fights have a similar issue.

A lot of people don't even know what a good fight in a comic is supposed to look like, 'cause like, 90% of shonen manga battles are nonsensical disasters, but because it looks cool, fans will just accept it, so it's not surprising super-hero fights have a similar issue.
    I've seen good fight choreagraphy in manga, but sometimes it takes a re-read or seeing it animated in anime form to really sink in in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I've seen good fight choreagraphy in manga, but sometimes it takes a re-read or seeing it animated in anime form to really sink in in my opinion.
    If it needs to be seen in animated form for it to make sense, then the manga failed at properly showing the fight, and the anime just did a better job.

Bad manga fights will have bad choreography, with characters in positions that don't make sense with the previous panels, and abuse the effects and make it harder to see what the hell's going on.

Bad super-hero fights also have bad choreography, same positioning issue as manga, but it may be drawn in a way where it looks like the characters are just posing at each other, with no weight behind the attacks.

Both have the problem of "it looks cool" in different ways, but only looking cool doesn't hold up when actually analyzed, but fans either don't notice or don't care, which is why both can get away with it.

While that can hurt anyone, it's specially bad with Spidey, since his fighting style used to be very clear, use his speed, strength and agility in his favor, by comparison, nowadays he mostly fights in a more basic way, hardly even jumps, much less jumping around, that makes him stand out less, which sucks.

If it needs to be seen in animated form for it to make sense, then the manga failed at properly showing the fight, and the anime just did a better job.
    It's not necessarily that it needs to be seen that way, just that the different format and camera angle can change your perspective on something because it's a different visual medium from manga.
    Bad manga fights will have bad choreography, with characters in positions that don't make sense with the previous panels, and abuse the effects and make it harder to see what the hell's going on.
    For the positioning I usually assume it's because things are in motion so characters move sometime between panel at the speed of the fight even if it's not necessarily shown exactly panel-to-panel. At least in my reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It's not necessarily that it needs to be seen that way, just that the different format and camera angle can change your perspective on something because it's a different visual medium from manga.
    It's still a problem if it's needed to watch an adaptation to know what's happening in the manga, if both anime and manga have the fight with the same beats, but the anime changed the camera angles to make it easier to understand, but the manga keeps changing it and it's all over the place, making it look very confusing, then the manga still failed at properly showing the fight.

Anime is anime, manga is manga, while one medium can adapt the other, you should never need one to understand the other.

For the positioning I usually assume it's because things are in motion so characters move sometime between panel at the speed of the fight even if it's not necessarily shown exactly panel-to-panel. At least in my reading.
    You don't have to show everything, whenever Spidey jumped around in old comics, we didn't see him jumping from one point to another, but the effect made it clear that he did.

Fights are better when it's clear what's going on, just look at any fight from Dragon Ball's manga, Goku got punched away? Another panel will show him recovering from it, and the next one will have him blocking or dodging the next attack, which makes it easier to see the flow of the fight, a bad version of this would skip him recovering and be already in a position to block, or dodge, or worse, attacking back, even though in the previous panel he was flying away.

Of course, not every detail has to be shown, if one character is attacking, it's not needed to always show him punching, pulling the arm back and punching with the other, and skipping some of those does make the fight have faster pacing, but for the flow of a battle to be good, what's going on in the fight has to be understandable, and some details shouldn't be skipped, specially since mangas like to have such long battles.

The way I talk about it makes it sound like it's easy, but it really isn't, which is why so many struggle to make the battles work, even when they honestly try.

I used Dragon Ball as an example, but I'm not saying any battle is expected to be in that level, 'cause frankly, most won't, even if they're great, 'cause Toriyama was fucking excellent at battle flow, just mentioned him as an example of how it can work properly.

no marvel book will ever have fights as good as jojo's bizarre adventure because marvel books need those pages for more important things, like continuity errors
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    no marvel book will ever have fights as good as jojo's bizarre adventure because marvel books need those pages for more important things, like continuity errors
    Apples and oranges though, Jojo fights are weird puzzles that end with the characters punching the villain in the face, repeatedly, there aren't many battles where a straight forward fight happens, specially after part 1 (Joseph with that ridiculously buff body in part 2, and he never throws a punch), and when a straight forward battle does happen (happens briefly when Josuke fights Kira at the end of part 4), it doesn't last and it goes back to the weird puzzle, with characters trying to outsmart each other, not outpunch each other.

I could swear that he punched Esidisi at the of the fight combined with the Hamon release. But it has been a while.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona