Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Mac View Post
    Exactly. I loved Benoit before the end. He could tell a story in the ring like few others. His interviews, though....forgettable. It's weird to think that out of the Radicalz, he is maybe the second most charisma (Eddie, Benoit, Saturn, Malenko) out of that bunch. In some ways, that is what made it such a tragedy. No one saw it coming.
    true. all because we didn't know what concussions really do to a person's brain. back then, you got one, you just walked it off. hell, i remember them doing a storyline where the dudleys got kayfabe concussed and they just wrestling like they were drunk.

but if we talking charisma, i'd say perry saturn was second of the group. he got over by falling in love with a mop.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Fans love talent. They like to see decent wrestling done well.

As much as people may not like to hear it, before his horrifying ending, fans loved Benoit. Some fans love Lesnar (I’m not one of those).

It doesn’t mean they have charisma.

In promos, Bret was as dull as dust. If he had a mic in his hand, people would turn around and listen to paint drying on the walls behind them.

He was an A+ player in the ring, and a D- player on the mic. It was like Lance Storm without the self-deprecating irony.
    Not really there are tons of talented in-ring wrestlers with no personality who fans never cared about. Why wasn't Dean Malenko ever as over as Bret or Benoit? All 3 we're considered boring and uber serious but only 2 became world champions.

Personality =/= charisma, if you gave Lance Storm The Rock character he would never get it as over as Dwayne Johnson got it, because he doesn't have Dwayne's charisma.

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    Not really there are tons of talented in-ring wrestlers with no personality who fans never cared about. Why wasn't Dean Malenko ever as over as Bret or Benoit? All 3 we're considered boring and uber serious but only 2 became world champions.

Personality =/= charisma, if you gave Lance Storm The Rock character he would never get it as over as Dwayne Johnson got it, because he doesn't have Dwayne's charisma.
    it really depends on the person and the story you tell with them. with benoit, he pulled a shawn micheals and went through the entire royal rumble from the number 1 position, setting a record that the E won't ever mention. then he was put in the middle of trips and HBK's feud where both men were looking pass him, which came back to bite them in the ass when he won and had that awesome moment with eddie in the main event.

and to be fair, dean couldn't really do much since they gave him this james bond/playboy gimmick that he didn't like and couldn't pull off. so it's part charisma/part in-ring skills/part gimmick with some wrestlers.

i mean just look at drew gulak. dude was a absolute monster in NXT, evolve, and 205 live. and now he's stuck chasing after a joke belt.

Extraordinary Member

Let's freshen things up a bit with a few more wrestlers. Gonna toss in some Modern stars

11. Jon Moxley
    12. Seth Rollins
    13. Cody Rhodes
    14. Kenny Omega
    15. Sami Zayn
    16. Kevin Owens
    17. Orange Cassidy
    18. Finn Balor
    19. Adam Cole
    20. Roman Reigns

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by The True Detective View Post
    I think you're downplaying Bret's charisma a lot, there's no way you can argue Jim Neidhart being as charismatic as him. Bret wasn't a flashy OTT type of personality like other main eventers but he clearly had a strong connection with the audience. He was especially popular with fans outside the US, he was huge in Canada (of course) and Europe. He was face of the company at one point and you can't do that if you aren't very charismatic.

Bret's like Bruno Sammartino or Bob Backlund (pre crazy old man days) in that he was kind of bland personality wise but there was something there that endeared him to fans anyway. There's a reason Vince had no choice but to push him over the guy he saw as the next Hogan in Lex Luger because he saw how much the fans liked him,

I think I figure out why he was so popular overseas.

Mike work doesn't matter if you don't understand english.

ever watch a really funny japanese anime with sub and not get it. same thing.

Bret's storytelling easily translated across language barriers, wheras somebody like shaun michaels, hulk hogan can give a great promo and you might get the gist, but it would sound like a charlie brown teacher without subtitles and you still wouldn't get the full effect.

Quote Originally Posted by shades of eternity View Post
    I think I figure out why he was so popular overseas.

Mike work doesn't matter if you don't understand english.

ever watch a really funny japanese anime with sub and not get it. same thing.

Bret's storytelling easily translated across language barriers, wheras somebody like shaun michaels, hulk hogan can give a great promo and you might get the gist, but it would sound like a charlie brown teacher without subtitles and you still wouldn't get the full effect.
    i don't remember bret wrestling much overseas, especially in japan. also, mic work really isn't all that important in japan, regardless of language. in new japan, promos aren't cut the same way they are in america. even hogan didn't talk or wrestle the same way he did in new japan.
    Last edited by master of read; 11-01-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    i don't remember bret wrestling much overseas, especially in japan. also, mic work really isn't all that important in japan, regardless of language. in new japan, promos aren't cut the same way they are in america. even hogan didn't talk or wrestle the same way he did in new japan.
    Yeah, he had a more technical style in japan, IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Yeah, he had a more technical style in japan, IIRC
    you'd be surprised.

and promos in japan are more about realism than funny catchphrases and over-the-top energy. after major matches in new japan, wrestlers just stand in front of a crowd of reporters, answer questions and give their thoughts on the matches they just had.

so it wouldn't surprise me if bret had a pretty good following in japan, given just how damn good he was in the ring.