Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Superman and Christmas

Does Clark really celebrate Christmas? I've seen those images of Superman helping Santa, haha, and the Justice League around the Xmas tree, but what's Clark real feelings about it? I guess it depends on what continuity, version or story?

My gut says he likes the idea of Christmas, respects it, but he is more of a humanist who respects most ideas about religion as long as love and peace are truly represented.

Thoughts? What are your favorite Superman stories in all media?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Does Clark really celebrate Christmas? I've seen those images of Superman helping Santa, haha, and the Justice League around the Xmas tree, but what's Clark real feelings about it? I guess it depends on what continuity, version or story?

My gut says he likes the idea of Christmas, respects it, but he is more of a humanist who respects most ideas about religion as long as love and peace are truly represented.

Thoughts? What are your favorite Superman stories in all media?
    His upbringing with the Kents makes me lean hard into that he does, as does Lois, and I think for him Christmas is less about Christ and more about a day where everyone comes together with people they love. He's more about the spirit of the occasion... and he's an American at heart, granted the best qualities of us without our uglier traits. He very likely celebrates it. That said, I agree he respects other cultures and wouldn't push Christmas upon them. I can absolutely believe Superman would say "happy holidays" as a generality until he knows how to better address someone.

But there's no way he's not hanging up mistletoe in December for another excuse to kiss Lois. :P

He also hates Bat-Santa.

1SqyGWp.jpg

That story always gets a big laugh out of me.

Astonishing Member

It's probably safe to say that the Kents were Christian-leaning midwesterners, but at the same time, are probably pretty tolerant/openminded people (I mean, they kind of have to be since their son is an alien from outer space, afterall). There's also the fact that Kal seems to recognize and respect both the science and the beliefs of his homeworld.

So in short, yes, I believe he celebrates Christmas, but knows better than to get mad at a barista for saying happy holidays instead of merry Christmas.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

religiously I never seen it, socially yes, he got the gifts and the trees and the santas, and helping santas and anyone who needs it...

Retired

Well, Superman has had team-ups with Santa Claus. It would be pretty insulting to old St. Nick, if the Man of Steel said he didn't believe in his existence--what would Rudolph think?

And the Caped Kryptonian has hung around with angels and agents of God. Unlike the rest of us, the Man of Tomorrow is in a position to know for certain which religious concepts are true and which are not.

Clark doesn't need faith--he has the testament of his own senses and experiences to tell him what's what.

It depends on which era, of course. But I don't see him as having a literal belief in any Earth-based cultural deity. However, he would respect the ideas of Christmas, both the religious ideas and the more universal concept of peace and good will. He clearly knows Santa exists since he's met him and probably can see through his cloaking device at the North Pole.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

There are lots of non-religious Americans that still celebrate Christmas, so there's nothing particularly weird about him not having his own opinions on the holidays besides "there are presents".

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    It depends on which era, of course. But I don't see him as having a literal belief in any Earth-based cultural deity. However, he would respect the ideas of Christmas, both the religious ideas and the more universal concept of peace and good will. He clearly knows Santa exists since he's met him and probably can see through his cloaking device at the North Pole.

haha, that made me smile. But seriously, I don't like a naive Superman who believes in Santa... I think Superman is beyond religion. I think he respects people's believes as long as they act kindly to others. For him, Christmas is like Thanksgiving. A nice tradition that brings families and friends together.

Retired

But seriously, I don't like a naive Superman who believes in Santa... I think Superman is beyond religion.
    But to what extent is "Santa Claus" a religious figure? The name is an American corruption of Sinterklass, in Dutch, which itself is derived from Sint-Nicolaas/Saint Nicholas. But the feast day of St. Nicholas is December 6.

In much of Europe, people celebrate St. Nicholas Day and Christmas Day separately. In Austria and parts of Germany, der Nikolaus comes on the Eve of Nikolaustag (December 5). On Christmas Eve, das Christkind arrives--the Christchild--although some people have added the Weihnachtsmann--the Christmas Man--who doesn't seem to be very religious at all. And in Britain, they have Father Christmas.

I doubt that the Pope would even bother to write an encyclical about "Santa Claus." He's just a commercial character outside of the Christian faith.

It's sort of like the Easter bunny, which seems like an idea that came from earlier pagan traditions. Christianity simply adopted whatever traditions were already practiced at these times of year--or else turned a blind eye to them--so that the local people would accept the new faith. Some influence on Yuletide seems to come from old Norse traditions and Santa Claus might really be a version of Odin. He looks the part.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Why is christmas seen as specifically for christians? I love christmas. It's a great time of the year. Santa is beloved by everyone. So is superman. They can spread joy and gifts together. Ho! Ho! Ho!

When it comes to Superman and Christmas the first thing that comes to mind is that hilarious panel, already posted above, of Superman punching Batman. Its not the punch, its the expressions on their faces.

As far as whether I see Superman celebrating it? Absolutely. The religious connotations of it aside, what has it mostly become in the modern era? A time of year above all others for "Good will towards men", and at its base level really a time to celebrate the joy of children because of the gift giving aspect. Christmas morning is just synonymous with joy for children. That's all up Superman's alley beyond anything religious.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Well, Superman has had team-ups with Santa Claus. It would be pretty insulting to old St. Nick, if the Man of Steel said he didn't believe in his existence--what would Rudolph think?

And the Caped Kryptonian has hung around with angels and agents of God. Unlike the rest of us, the Man of Tomorrow is in a position to know for certain which religious concepts are true and which are not.

Clark doesn't need faith--he has the testament of his own senses and experiences to tell him what's what.
    Quoted for truth right here.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-31-2020 at 12:19 PM.

My thoughts as well. I don't think Clark's very religious, and he likely has a fairly unique view on faith, given that he's met divine beings from many contradictory religions, and often punched them in the face. And with christmas, far as I'm aware most of our traditions, the tree and presents and such, aren't actually christian, they were Celtic traditions that christianity adopted, and has nothing to do with Jesus.

I think Clark's more philosopher than preacher, and he'd appreciate the spirit behind christmas and other holidays but wouldn't necessarily believe any particular scripture is the "one true word." But I think he'd enjoy the holiday and all the trappings that go with it and he'd respect the day, just as he respects and adheres to Kryptonian holidays and traditions without being a devout Raoist.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Incredible Member

i missed the old 'metropolis mailbag' issues that superman used to do every christmas where he reads letters and tried to fulfill them.