Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    i missed the old 'metropolis mailbag' issues that superman used to do every christmas where he reads letters and tried to fulfill them.
    I loved those.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    i missed the old 'metropolis mailbag' issues that superman used to do every christmas where he reads letters and tried to fulfill them.
    Those are still some of my favorite issues ever. I'd love to see more of them.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Why is christmas seen as specifically for christians? I love christmas. It's a great time of the year. Santa is beloved by everyone. So is superman. They can spread joy and gifts together. Ho! Ho! Ho!
    Because it's a Christian holiday even Santa Claus is just an American version of Saint Nicholas, a Christian Bishop. All the other stuff was just added to commercialize the holiday.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    Because it's a Christian holiday even Santa Claus is just an American version of Saint Nicholas, a Christian Bishop. All the other stuff was just added to commercialize the holiday.
    Cool!I meant only for Christians. Commercial stuff is what the rest of the population really celebrate.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-05-2020 at 08:59 AM.

Astonishing Member

While I see your point, it also supports the idea that Superman could celebrate Christmas without any sort of religious affiliation.

Retired

See my earlier post about the difference between Saint Nicholas and Santa Claus. They might have started out as the same character, on December 6th of every year, but over the years they branched off and became two distinct characters. Images of Saint Nicholas don't look that much like Santa Claus.

The Santa Claus that we use in North America is largely a commercial product of Harper's and Coca-Cola.

In India and other countries, Diwali is celebrated by multiple religious groups--and just people in general. It might have originated in the Hindu religion, but Sikhs, Jains and Buddhists also observe the festival of lights.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

I wish this comic was real. Would fit right in with a Mort Weisinger edited SUERMAN family comic from the 60's.

ActionChristmas.jpg

That might be, but most of the "commercial" (I'd also call them secular, including Santa - even with his origins) aspects of Christmas are celebrated in other countries where Christianity isn't anywhere near prevalent. I did a music tour of Japan in December a few years back, and they had trees, presents, lights, decorations, and even "Merry Christmas" (in English, so I couldn't miss it, lol) signs everywhere - the last of which I found particularly surprising.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    That might be, but most of the "commercial" (I'd also call them secular, including Santa - even with his origins) aspects of Christmas are celebrated in other countries where Christianity isn't anywhere near prevalent. I did a music tour of Japan in December a few years back, and they had trees, presents, lights, decorations, and even "Merry Christmas" (in English, so I couldn't miss it, lol) signs everywhere - the last of which I found particularly surprising.
    Japan got pretty Americanized after WWII though, I wonder if the holiday is celebrated widely in other Asian countries?

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

As far as I have travelled,many Asian countries or regions don't have Christmas holidays.But,Christmas would be most celebrated western holiday in general. Especially in many of the countries that were colonised.

Astonishing Member

Since earth doesn't observe any Kryptonian religious holidays, maybe Superman uses Dec 25 as an occasion to celebrate both Christmas and the birth of Rao, or some such.

Retired

There's a Krypton "Christmas" tale that Clark tells to Pete and Jonathan Ross, during the holiday season, in SUPERMAN FAMILY 182 (March-April 1977)--the first Dollar Comic of that title, which went on sale December 14th, 1976 (I remember the long trek on foot I made searching for that very comic, over many miles from Vancouver to Burnaby, before I found it in a small Mom & Pop shop).

The story is "The Stranger" by Paul Kupperberg, Marshall Rogers and Frank Springer--it tells of a Christ-like figure name Jo-Mon, from the fabulous world's distant past, who went about talking of love and peace but was killed. Yet his message was remembered on Krypton and brought lasting peace to the world.

Man that must be quite a memory, travelling so far just for one particular comic. I don't have any experiences exactly like that but getting into the fold near the end of the spinner rack days, I do remember sometimes having to go to multiple stores to find a single issue I needed, and the scavenger hunt aspect is quite a fond memory of the hobby.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Man that must be quite a memory, travelling so far just for one particular comic. I don't have any experiences exactly like that but getting into the fold near the end of the spinner rack days, I do remember sometimes having to go to multiple stores to find a single issue I needed, and the scavenger hunt aspect is quite a fond memory of the hobby.
    Back in the spinner rack days I only had a couple choices, so I didn't do much traveling. If the handful of local stores didn't have the comic, I didn't get it. Outside of my small town, the next nearest spinner rack or early LCS (just as those were starting to appear in my region) was a two hour drive away.

But I did walk something like 8-10 miles (each way) to see Superman Returns in theaters. And spent the whole walk back trying to convince myself that I had enjoyed the movie.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    In Vancouver, at the drugstores I usually went to, the comics arrived much later than the official on sale dates. I had subscribed to some titles, so I could get them early, but the condition they arrived in was not good. So around that time in 1976, I had started taking long walks and discovered stores outside my neighbourhood that got their comics early. I was so stoked for the arrival of this new Dollar Comic (I still feel that excitement whenever I think about it) that I checked all the stores I had in the past and none had it in, so I just continued eastward along Hastings Street until I was well into North Burnaby and finally found it at that one store. It was like reaching the proverbial pot of gold.