Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default What Do Y'all Think of Fargo Season 4?

Fargo's newest season is getting quite a split reaction from critics and audiences alike.

I have been enjoying it much more than I see people online are.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Pretty easily the best season of a show with nothing but great seasons.

You know what I think?

Detractors or no...

Chris Rock will have played the best gangster on film of all time by the time they wrap this thing up.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Pretty easily the best season of a show with nothing but great seasons.
    Agreed. I wasn't feeling it for maybe the first half of the first episode but it's gotten to be a great ride so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    Fargo's newest season is getting quite a split reaction from critics and audiences alike.
    I'm enjoying it so far; in fact, its the only weekly tv show i'm watching right now.

Critics always seem to expect Fargo to be something more than it is. It has never really been prestige tv, despite being very stylish and often being beautifully shot and having clever dialogue. The characters have often been fairly cartoonish, although still capable of serving up profound insights from time to time. in short, its an entertaining show, and if it doesn't rise to the level of brilliance some people expect, that's their loss.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

It's pretty good!

You know what I think?

Detractors or no...

Chris Rock will have played the best gangster on film of all time by the time they wrap this thing up.
    Thats a bold claim. Better then any gangster played by Deniro,Pacino,Denzel,Liotta,Day-lewis, or Jack Nicholson?(Yes Liotta's name doesn't belong with the others prestige wise but he did play the lead gangster in one of the greatest films of all time so I threw him in.)

I saw the first episode and wasn't blown away by Chris Rock. Maybe ill go back. How is Schwartzman in this show? Is he good or just annoying? He seems to be either really charming or super annoying for me in stuff. Not much middle ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Thats a bold claim. Better then any gangster played by Deniro,Pacino,Denzel,Liotta,Day-lewis, or Jack Nicholson?(Yes Liotta's name doesn't belong with the others prestige wise but he did play the lead gangster in one of the greatest films of all time so I threw him in.)

I saw the first episode and wasn't blown away by Chris Rock. Maybe ill go back. How is Schwartzman in this show? Is he good or just annoying? He seems to be either really charming or super annoying for me in stuff. Not much middle ground.
    I like Schwartzman in this. He plays a smart guy with some issues.
    As far best gangster. There is also Cagney, Bogart, Robinson, Raff, Muni and a guy named Brando.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Chris Rock gets better as a gangster as the show goes on (imo) and you rarely get to see him be straight up, deadly serious angry in most of his roles, so he gets to flex a bit. He's not a physically intimidating character, but he can give you the stare of death.

As for Schwartzman, I like him and his character, but he's still Schwartzman. To the earlier point about Fargo characters already being pretty cartoony, it's like Wes Anderson lent one of his characters to Noah Hawley. He's no less of a threat than Rock but the character struggles to be taken seriously and that's a key aspect to the character's appeal.

I am finding the menacing psycho cousin to be a one note character in a show where all the others are nuanced.
    And as usual Timothy Oliphant is a delight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am finding the menacing psycho cousin to be a one note character in a show where all the others are nuanced.
    And as usual Timothy Oliphant is a delight.
    Isn't that kind of what he was supposed to be?

Past that, Gaetano is his younger brother.

Little bit of both.

I think that he is doing a good job with it.

Milligan is the entire reason folks should be watching the show.(Never mind the obvious thing that no one seems to have caught on to or mentioned...)

Little bit of both.

I think that he is doing a good job with it.

Milligan is the entire reason folks should be watching the show.(Never mind the obvious thing that no one seems to have caught on to or mentioned...)
    I think I get what you're getting at there

But yeah, every scene with Milligan is a treat. Ben Whishaw's knocking it out of the park in a season full of great actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I think I get what you're getting at there

But yeah, every scene with Milligan is a treat. Ben Whishaw's knocking it out of the park in a season full of great actors.
    When it finally hit me, I was like "Just a darn minute..."

I'd suggest folks not sticking it into Google. If you haven't noticed? Just wait it out, or search it once the season wraps up.