Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

And yeah...

Ben really is one of the best parts of a great season. That tea bag that he took out of the handkerchief was priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Isn't that kind of what he was supposed to be?

Past that, Gaetano is his younger brother.
    Right, brother.
    He's suppose to be a psycho, but he doesn't have to be so one dimensional.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

it's ok, the fat italian brother is -super- corny

also young mike miligan actor is really bad

strong points are chris rock, dr. senator and miligan

for me it's as good or better than 3 (minus v.m. varga who was top tier) but kind of meh compared to 1 and 2. all seasons worse than the movie though

Well, that was a doozy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Chris Rock gets better as a gangster as the show goes on (imo) and you rarely get to see him be straight up, deadly serious angry in most of his roles, so he gets to flex a bit. He's not a physically intimidating character, but he can give you the stare of death.

As for Schwartzman, I like him and his character, but he's still Schwartzman. To the earlier point about Fargo characters already being pretty cartoony, it's like Wes Anderson lent one of his characters to Noah Hawley. He's no less of a threat than Rock but the character struggles to be taken seriously and that's a key aspect to the character's appeal.
    Rock is a good actor but he can't pull off the tough guy parts to save his life. There's nothing menacing about him in the scenes where he directly threatens people and his attempt at physical violence is almost as laughable as de-aged DeNiro in "the Irishman." That being said, the scenes of him as a thinker and strategist (more Nucky Thompson that Tony Soprano) are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Right, brother.
    He's suppose to be a psycho, but he doesn't have to be so one dimensional.
    Yeah, he's like Jack Black playing a parody of a gangster.

When it finally hit me, I was like "Just a darn minute..."

I'd suggest folks not sticking it into Google. If you haven't noticed? Just wait it out, or search it once the season wraps up.
    It hit me in the second or third episode. It's yet another reason every season of this show is wonderful.

Something struck me during last week's episode -- this season seems to be pretty light on the black comedy, and especially light for a show that's known for characters bordering on cartoonish. Sure, there's bits and pieces here and there (like Oraetta and Josto together, or Swanee's farting, or Josto and his "fiance" -- man, that Josto, eh?). But that's not a complaint, either -- if anything, it makes the show a bit more straight forward. Each season is its own entity more or less, and this season's lack of black comedy compared to the previous seasons underscores the war and diplomacy between the two families, possibly being the biggest scale so far of all the seasons, and almost every character is played straight (compare that to when none other than Bruce Campbell himself played Reagan in S2).

Again, not a complaint. Sometimes the humor is welcome as a breather or to relieve tension. But there's very little room for that this time around, and yeah, this last episode was definitely a doozy.

My only complaint for this last episode, though -- we saw too little of Loy's wife and Ethelrida's mother this entire season for their confrontation to have much impact. Likewise, Oraetta and Ethelrida don't get a lot of focus but to me they're also the highlights of the season, so while I'm very much looking forward to *their* face-off, I hope the show can give Ethelrida a bit more time to shine. She started the entire season, after all, and she's much craftier than anyone gives her credit for. She's this season's Molly Solverson and Marge Gunderson, but with a lot less screen time to show for it.
    Last edited by Cyke; 11-09-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Something struck me during last week's episode -- this season seems to be pretty light on the black comedy, and especially light for a show that's known for characters bordering on cartoonish. Sure, there's bits and pieces here and there (like Oraetta and Josto together, or Swanee's farting, or Josto and his "fiance" -- man, that Josto, eh?). But that's not a complaint, either -- if anything, it makes the show a bit more straight forward. Each season is its own entity more or less, and this season's lack of black comedy compared to the previous seasons underscores the war and diplomacy between the two families, possibly being the biggest scale so far of all the seasons, and almost every character is played straight (compare that to when none other than Bruce Campbell himself played Reagan in S2).

Again, not a complaint. Sometimes the humor is welcome as a breather or to relieve tension. But there's very little room for that this time around, and yeah, this last episode was definitely a doozy.

My only complaint for this last episode, though -- we saw too little of Loy's wife and Ethelrida's mother this entire season for their confrontation to have much impact. Likewise, Oraetta and Ethelrida don't get a lot of focus but to me they're also the highlights of the season, so while I'm very much looking forward to *their* face-off, I hope the show can give Ethelrida a bit more time to shine. She started the entire season, after all, and she's much craftier than anyone gives her credit for. She's this season's Molly Solverson and Marge Gunderson, but with a lot less screen time to show for it.
    Agreed.

That said, there were a few characters that I felt got shorted by the length of this season.

Honestly? I'm having a tough time buying that they can even tie up all of the loose ends in three more episodes.

Still, what they have fit in has been seriously solid.

Yeah, feels like they are juggling too many balls in the air this season. Also doesn't help that the season has devoted little screentime to the sympathetic characters (mainly Ethelrida, but i guess Rabbi Mulligan and Satchel to an extent... maybe also Ethelrida's mom) while the more cartoonish characters get more attention. I think we are also meant to sympathize with Loy to an extent, as he would likely be a legit businessman (via his credit card prototype) but for racism, but that's not really working for me. I'm still enjoying the show but feels like previous seasons were better. Also feels like we need to head to Minnesota as some point, as it really hasn't felt much like Fargo when all the action is in Kansas City - having Orietta speak with the MN accent isn't enough, nor is calling in the MN mob for a random scene here or there.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Yeah, feels like they are juggling too many balls in the air this season. Also doesn't help that the season has devoted little screentime to the sympathetic characters (mainly Ethelrida, but i guess Rabbi Mulligan and Satchel to an extent... maybe also Ethelrida's mom) while the more cartoonish characters get more attention. I think we are also meant to sympathize with Loy to an extent, as he would likely be a legit businessman (via his credit card prototype) but for racism, but that's not really working for me. I'm still enjoying the show but feels like previous seasons were better. Also feels like we need to head to Minnesota as some point, as it really hasn't felt much like Fargo when all the action is in Kansas City - having Orietta speak with the MN accent isn't enough, nor is calling in the MN mob for a random scene here or there.
    I had captions off, but didn't Loy mention heading to Fargo in this episode? Of course, if I misheard or misremembered, then my bad.

If the final episode ends in Fargo, it'd be a nice artistic choice to get back there, as if this season was in itself a prequel to the previous 3 seasons (and not just because of the era, but because this is how you-know-who started in S2, which ultimately impacted S1).

Also, to further the point, no part of S3 was set in Fargo, either, so yeah, it'd be nice to go back eventually.

I had captions off, but didn't Loy mention heading to Fargo in this episode? Of course, if I misheard or misremembered, then my bad.

If the final episode ends in Fargo, it'd be a nice artistic choice to get back there, as if this season was in itself a prequel to the previous 3 seasons (and not just because of the era, but because this is how you-know-who started in S2, which ultimately impacted S1).

Also, to further the point, no part of S3 was set in Fargo, either, so yeah, it'd be nice to go back eventually.
    Unless I misunderstood the whole thing, the group that they sold the stolen guns to at cost in exchange for loyalty if things escalated?

Headed by Mort Kellerman from season two. That group seemingly was one half of what happened at the end of the episode.

Even fits into the overall timeline.

Liking it, but still don't buy that Rabbi didn't contact Loy to let him know his son is alive.
    And I hate that Gaetano could scare off a gang of heavily armed men by walking out in the open shooting two hand guns.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 11-10-2020 at 09:16 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Liking it, but still don't buy that Rabbi didn't contact Loy to let him know his son is alive.
    And I hate that Gaetano could scare off a gang of heavily armed men by walking out in the open shooting two hand guns.
    What is in blue...

Patrick knows almost exactly what is coming down the line. What reasonable scenario is there where he could try to let Loy know without setting off a chain of events that would potentially put him and the kid in danger?

What is in green...

None of those guys from Fargo actually had a dog in that race. No reason to get yourself killed over something that you don't even stand to get a whole lot out of.

What is in blue...

Patrick knows almost exactly what is coming down the line. What reasonable scenario is there where he could try to let Loy know without setting off a chain of events that would potentially put him and the kid in danger?

What is in green...

None of those guys from Fargo actually had a dog in that race. No reason to get yourself killed over something that you don't even stand to get a whole lot out of.
    They were already in that situation when they attacked. And they weren't taking fire from guys behind a rock or tree. He was walking in an open field firing hand guns. Any of them with a rifle should have been able to duck down and take him out. It is a bad scene often repeated that a main character can just shoot at multiple attackers and come out unharmed. It's Gaetano as John Wick.

And to let the Loys think their son is dead is cruel and will lead to bad consequences that aren't necessary, even perhaps the death of Justo's boy. I don't see it as realistic for the Rabbi to do this. A phone call to let him know he is well is more in character.