Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    to let the Loys think their son is dead is cruel and will lead to bad consequences that aren't necessary, even perhaps the death of Justo's boy. I don't see it as realistic for the Rabbi to do this. A phone call to let him know he is well is more in character.
    Rabbi knows exactly what he's doing and why. He never had the opportunity to choose his own fate, but (as he said to Satchel) Satchel will.

Rabbi knows if he told Loy he had Satchel, it would result in Loy hunting for them to bring the boy home (a home right in the middle of a mob war). So, as he told Satchel, they're going to hide out until the dust settles and then, if (and only if) Satchel asks to go home will Rabbi take him back.

As for cruelty, Rabbi also probably doesn't care one bit about the feelings of a father who'd trade his own son to gangsters like a piece of property and mom who didn't (at least as far as he knows) do anything to try and stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Trail View Post
    Rabbi knows exactly what he's doing and why. He never had the opportunity to choose his own fate, but (as he said to Satchel) Satchel will.

Rabbi knows if he told Loy he had Satchel, it would result in Loy hunting for them to bring the boy home (a home right in the middle of a mob war). So, as he told Satchel, they're going to hide out until the dust settles and then, if (and only if) Satchel asks to go home will Rabbi take him back.

As for cruelty, Rabbi also probably doesn't care one bit about the feelings of a father who'd trade his own son to gangsters like a piece of property and mom who didn't (at least as far as he knows) do anything to try and stop it.
    It also seems like Milligan can pretty safely assume that Loy has some of law enforcement on the payroll.

It's already going to be bad enough ducking the couple of cops that he knows Josto has on the payroll. Adding more when he probably has no clue who they are?

Just seems like putting in a requisition to get yourself killed.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It also seems like Milligan can pretty safely assume that Loy has some of law enforcement on the payroll.

It's already going to be bad enough ducking the couple of cops that he knows Josto has on the payroll. Adding more when he probably has no clue who they are?

Just seems like putting in a requisition to get yourself killed.
    Yep. Milligan's no dummy and, not unlike Deafy, knows a man who'd do what Loy did to his own son is extremely dangerous, immoral and untrustworthy.

A little too quirky for me this week. Also, in a series with only 11 episodes and this many loose ends, maybe don't spend the entirety of episode 9 on a tribute to "the Wizard of Oz goes to Miller's Crossing and rooms with Barton Fink."

I loved it. Guess I love Cohenesque quirk. Forget what I said about Rabbi not telling Loy. It gave us this episode.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Great episode even if the "Most Likely..." outcome was how it wound up playing out.

Great moments for the small set of characters the episode focused on.

Not a complaint of course, but every episode Satchel is in has his voice getting deeper and deeper. That kid's growing up fast in more ways than one, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Not a complaint of course, but every episode Satchel is in has his voice getting deeper and deeper. That kid's growing up fast in more ways than one, isn't he?
    That's one of the nice things about an anthology show like this. You don't necessarily run into the "Walt from Lost" or "Carl from TWD" problem.

Well...

That preview for the final episode of this season was certainly a doozy.

Wellp, that was certainly an "oh ****" moment with Gaetano.

Also, Ethelrida wearing bright silk red while confidently brokering a deal with Loy, with Loy ultimately saying that he'll give her anything to end the war -- absolutely devilish, Seymour. Ethelrida is even more cunning and much more of a schemer than expected, and we already saw that this season. I love this turn.
    Last edited by Cyke; 11-23-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Enjoyed the penultimate episode, nice to see more of Ethelrida and getting an additional check in with Satchel was an unexpected surprise as i was sure we had seen the last of him in the previous episode.

Rewatched season 2 recently and feel like overall that felt like that was the superior gang-war season. This season just felt like it was juggling too many balls in the air and it didn't quite work. Characters like Deafy and Odis, for example, showed some promise but ultimately didn't amount to much. and the Gaetano character just didn't really work for me.

One thing that confused me is that the episode seemed to take place in the spring, while last ep we were still in wintertime. I don't get why Orietta hung around for months (?) when the last time we saw her she was frantically getting ready to make a run for it as she was worried mr harvard would awaken and call the law on her. Just a minor gripe though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Wellp, that was certainly an "oh ****" moment with Gaetano.

Also, Ethelrida wearing bright silk red while confidently brokering a deal with Loy, with Loy ultimately saying that he'll give her anything to end the war -- absolutely devilish, Seymour. Ethelrida is even more cunning and much more of a schemer than expected, and we already saw that this season. I love this turn.
    Never mind that she seemingly comes from a criminal family herself. While it does make perfect sense, I would never have guessed.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    Enjoyed the penultimate episode, nice to see more of Ethelrida and getting an additional check in with Satchel was an unexpected surprise as i was sure we had seen the last of him in the previous episode.

Rewatched season 2 recently and feel like overall that felt like that was the superior gang-war season. This season just felt like it was juggling too many balls in the air and it didn't quite work. Characters like Deafy and Odis, for example, showed some promise but ultimately didn't amount to much. and the Gaetano character just didn't really work for me.

One thing that confused me is that the episode seemed to take place in the spring, while last ep we were still in wintertime. I don't get why Orietta hung around for months (?) when the last time we saw her she was frantically getting ready to make a run for it as she was worried mr harvard would awaken and call the law on her. Just a minor gripe though.
    One guy's take...

That they went into the gang war seemed like it was there to let us know that time has passed. Not just passed. Both sides realize that they need an out.

As for Orietta?

To me, it felt like she realized that she is behind a pretty sizable eight ball. If she doesn't work out a way to find and kill Harvard? She is smart enough to know that she will be on the run for the rest of her life.

The one loose end is Zelmare. While I'm not sure that she turns up again, I have kind of a tough time buying that she doesn't try to put at least two people in the ground.

The "Internet" seems to think that Satchel will become Mike Mulligan from season 2.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The "Internet" seems to think that Satchel will become Mike Mulligan from season 2.

Its Mike Milligan, which supports the theory since his caretaker was Rabbi Milligan.

Having rewatched S2 recently, the theory seems plausible. One hang-up i have is that Mike references his mother once or twice, saying she was a woman who could find a cloud in every silver lining. I suppose he could have memories along those lines from his childhood but it seemed a little odd that he would reference her after (maybe?) being on his own for most of his youth. This episode seemed to suggest a transition from Satchel to Mike as he scares off the rednecks in the truck. Perhaps we will see him again in the finale, perhaps not.