Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default Why did Hulk leave the Avengers after the first few issues

Just started reading silverage Avengers on the Marvel app. I'm curious, do we know why Stan Lee and Jack Kirby chose to have the Hulk leave the Avengers after only a couple issues?

Ultimate Member

Logical narrative?

He was a wanted fugitive and less than team player from the beginning. Being on the A-team of heroes simply didn't fit him

Astonishing Member

He was still written as a sociopath back then.

Didn't really fit in a team of superheroes.

Hulk isn't really a team character, back then he would fight with fellow team members and would disrupt group cohesion.
    Much the same with the current Immortal Hulk version.
    Hulk is more of a loner than a team player.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)

Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    Hulk isn't really a team character, back then he would fight with fellow team members and would disrupt group cohesion.
    Interesting but he did become a full time member of The Defenders a few years later.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixThanos View Post
    Why do people always act as though character traits are completely static? Why can't he eventually become a team player even if he wasn't one initially?

(This rant isn't aimed specifically at you. It's just something that I felt like I had to say.)

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    Interesting but he did become a full time member of The Defenders a few years later.
    About a decade later, by which time his status quo had changed.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Why do people always act as though character traits are completely static? Why can't he eventually become a team player even if he wasn't one initially?

(This rant isn't aimed specifically at you. It's just something that I felt like I had to say.)
    More often than not this is what the Hulk's personalities are like, with exceptions like Professor Green.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    About a decade later, by which time his status quo had changed.
    I can see Professor Hulk as an team player or Intelligent Hulk, but Savage Hulk, Mr Fix It etc, etc no chance.
    Last edited by PhoenixThanos; 10-24-2020 at 11:47 PM.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    The Defenders aren't really classified as an official team. Especially by their own means.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Stan Lee just wanted him in an antagonist role just like he did with Namor.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

Hulk really wasn't a team player not to mention he was a bit of a "bad guy" back then, so he is more of a loner and he doesn't work all that well with others, he worked in the Defenders but as Ewing likes to say they are the best non-team out there, they were very dysfunctional a lot of the times and Namor and Hulk in particular would fight verbally and physically all the time. So he worked with the Defenders for a time, but doesn't work all that well with the Avengers which are a very different kind of team.

A personality like Professor Hulk can work, but every other personality from Fixit to Savage to Devil, etc.. just dont work with an Avengers team.

Which i think is overall for the better for his character, not only does it fit him, i personally dislike the Avengers as a team since they make little sense to me. If you take a look at the Justice League, they work well and make perfect sense, but Avengers just dont work logically and characters like Thor constantly have to suffer because the teams are built without using any logic but instead relying entirely on popularity. A real Avengers team would never have Widow or Hawkeye or Black Panther on their team, lets be real for a moment, it would be guys like Thor, Sentry, Blue Marvel, Monica Rambeau, etc... making the whole team. I mean Galactus comes to eat Earth, what is Hawkeye gonna do with his arrows here? We gonna go call Hawkeye and Widow first over people like Blue Marvel, Monica, Sentry, Hyperion, etc...? Yea i don't think so.

Nowhere is this more evident as with a new Avengers team that is suppose to relaunch in 2021 that has Hulk on it solely because of the popularity of Immortal Hulk and they also threw in Spider-man there. Why Spider-man and not someone like Sentry or Blue Marvel or Monica or any of the other powerhouses that need more exposure? Well because Spider-man is super popular and is guaranteed to bring the sales to the book while others that desperately need that exposure get showed to the side, even though them being on the team makes a million times more sense then Spider-man who by his concept is not meant to go around fighting cosmic threats but instead keeping the citizens of New York safe from crooks that want to rob banks, hold people hostages, run an underground crime world, etc.. You know people who don't really have the power or resources to take over the whole planet.

Anyway sorry for the little rant lol.

Boisterously Confused

As others have said, Hulk was not a good narrative fit for a team back then. Also, Marvel's villain bench was a bit thin at the time, and that gave the Avengers (and the FF) somebody to chase around. There weren't too many of those villains that they did have that could have stood up to the Avengers O5 without some ridiculous plotting.

BANNED

He was too cool for the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post

That's not what Hulk developed into. If anything he's gone the opposite way. Hulk's better when he's alone against the world.