Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Default Opinions on Tynion’s run so far..

I’ve recently decided to catch up on some Batman stuff and I noticed that James Tynion is back on the title. I really enjoyed his last Detective Comics run. How does this run compare to runs by Snyder, King etc.?

Headline heavy, yet surprisingly boring.

7 out of 10.

A decent take on Batman but nothing really grabbed me yet.

Too much Harley.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The moment Joker was mentioned I was like, skip... XD
    The new characters are interesting though, their designs are good, so I'm more interested to know the characters than the plot.

The last few issues have been decent. I’m sure it’ll start shaping up the further he gets away from editorial mandates.

I think he’s introducing a lot of interesting ideas, interesting new characters (Punchline and Clownhunter), and bringing characters back to a place where people enjoy them(yes I’m talking about Cassandra Cain and Nightwing).

That said I’ve got problems with Joker War, first it was way too soon after the Bane take over city story, I get the concept was that he was supposed to leave on that but it’s still a little too soon and I certainly hope we do not get another villains taking over the city storyline any time soon. I’m also not a fan of the ending, for all its talk of Batman having to change and how it can’t end the same...it ended the same, maybe Batman didn’t rescue the Joker and was willing to let him blow up but nothing changed, Jokers still out there, and apparently they’re are setting it up for him to come back and fight Bane.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Winghead77 View Post
    I’ve recently decided to catch up on some Batman stuff and I noticed that James Tynion is back on the title. I really enjoyed his last Detective Comics run. How does this run compare to runs by Snyder, King etc.?
    So far so good, if you liked his Detective Comics work you'll like his Batman stuff.

I thought Joker's War, particularly the lead up, was far better than King's City of Bane, and now that that's over, he seems to be ready to settle in with his own regular storylines.

It’s been fine so far, I’ve enjoyed it. However it feels unambitious and outright repetitive so far. Joker War felt like it had a list of cliches it needed to meet and dutifully made sure each were included, from Joker screeching that this time he’s serious about taking out Batman, to reuniting the Batfamily after they all got driven off, only for the Family to be utterly superfluous to the overall plot. I guess Bruce losing his wealth could potentially have consequences but it doesn’t really look like it will be that big a change. However Tynion gets a pass for me with Joker War because he was writing that when the abandonment of 5G happened and Didio got the boot, along with the editorial purge that had to have caused chaos behind the scenes.

However this next arc is pretty repetitive itself. Ghost-Maker is another cliche we’ve seen before, two in fact! The rival Bruce made in his youth during training (Nobody/Hush) and the guy who thinks Bruce is a wuss for not killing (Red Hood/Deathstroke/Nobody). So I’m disappointed with how repetitive it feels. Tynion has plans for Scarecrow though, and given I’ve loved his indie horror books I am absolutely staying on until the Scarecrow arc for sure.

Jimenez has been fire throughout though, as have the other artists on the book. They help make up for the writing.

I've enjoyed it so far. Tynion can be too wordy for me at times, but it has been fine so far

BANNED

Ah i remember another cliche. It wouldnt be a Batman vs Deathstroke fight if Slade doesnt jump onto Batwing. lol