Thread: Batgirl #50

Incredible Member

Default Batgirl #50

Has there been a thread yet discussing this issue? If so, I’ve missed it.

Just wondering what others thought about the issue.

Or feel free to share a link to the original thread.

Barbara v. Everyone (except Jason Bard): Dawn of Political Justice.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Barbara v. Everyone (except Jason Bard): Dawn of Political Justice.
    yeah that's perfect

thoughts on the issue- it sucked
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Not the issue I recommend to anyone seeking a Bat lore

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Not the issue I recommend to anyone seeking a Bat lore
    I feel like this issue wanted to set up a new era of Batgirl, which I can support, but the story itself was so dull and drawn out so why would anyone care to see where it goes. The oversized Nightwing issue suffered from the same problem. Both books seemed to tried to do the same thing and failed the same way.

I hated this. It was so much crammed into a couple of stories, and everything felt rushed and poorly written. Also it seemed like they were 'having their cake and eating it too', so to speak. If you're going to give Barbara this change in direction then go with it - it kept feeling like she was going to split from the batfamily and hang up her outfit and commit herself to being Barbara Gordon and even pursue politics and stuff, but at the same time - nope, she still has to be Batgirl even though she is monologuing constantly about changing and having to do other stuff. And even the whole new relationship thing was resolved without being resolved... She make a big point about finally telling him she is Batgirl but then doesn't, has Batgirl say sorry, then come in and go 'let's give it a shot'. Then the final story covers all basis - she can still just be oracle again if that's what ya want guys! And all coming off the back of James dying and the funeral - then barely mentioned again... It reads like they told everyone involved that #50 was going to be the last issue like two weeks ago so everyone had to try and cram in as much stuff as possible without actually having a solid definitive conclusion that changes things.

And I'm not even opposed to the political sort of leaning in this book, it was just poorly executed imo.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    Has there been a thread yet discussing this issue? If so, I’ve missed it.

Just wondering what others thought about the issue.

Or feel free to share a link to the original thread.
    hated it. It was political trash, and I like Barbara as a character a lot, but this was really rough to get through. I rolled my eyes every other page.