Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Opinions on Tynion’s run so far..

I’ve recently decided to catch up on some Batman stuff and I noticed that James Tynion is back on the title. I really enjoyed his last Detective Comics run. How does this run compare to runs by Snyder, King etc.?

Headline heavy, yet surprisingly boring.

7 out of 10.

A decent take on Batman but nothing really grabbed me yet.

Too much Harley.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

The moment Joker was mentioned I was like, skip... XD
    The new characters are interesting though, their designs are good, so I'm more interested to know the characters than the plot.

The last few issues have been decent. I’m sure it’ll start shaping up the further he gets away from editorial mandates.

I think he’s introducing a lot of interesting ideas, interesting new characters (Punchline and Clownhunter), and bringing characters back to a place where people enjoy them(yes I’m talking about Cassandra Cain and Nightwing).

That said I’ve got problems with Joker War, first it was way too soon after the Bane take over city story, I get the concept was that he was supposed to leave on that but it’s still a little too soon and I certainly hope we do not get another villains taking over the city storyline any time soon. I’m also not a fan of the ending, for all its talk of Batman having to change and how it can’t end the same...it ended the same, maybe Batman didn’t rescue the Joker and was willing to let him blow up but nothing changed, Jokers still out there, and apparently they’re are setting it up for him to come back and fight Bane.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

A whole lot of nothing tbh.

The ideas of questioning Batman's connections to GCPD and limiting Wayne's wealth are both great but I don't see much happening with them.

Immediately going to the Joker, as well as making it an 'event', does not bode well either.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 10-25-2020 at 02:24 PM.

Mighty Member

Its been average but much better than King's entire run. And as has been said too much Harley and trying way to hard to humble Bruce.

Good not great. Felt like something as big as Joker War shouldn't have happened so early. But I thought the story was good.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I commend anyone who throws in new characters. Even if one of them stick, it’s an impressive feat.
    Punchline and Clownhunter seem to be promising new characters with a potential for longevity.

I'm not really following it, not regularly anyway, but of what I have read I've dug all the designs and premises of most of his new additions tho. my only apprehension is whether they will give characters like Clownhunter and Punchline the room to grow considering how much they're popping up. I'll take the bait everytime but I'm getting tired of investing in new visually interesting characters that don't get fleshed out properly.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-25-2020 at 03:14 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Its been average but much better than King's entire run. And as has been said too much Harley and trying way to hard to humble Bruce.
    That's kind of been Tynion's shtick since his 'Tec run. It probably comes from growing up with the later 90's Batman books where Bruce was a jerk and the Batfamily was constantly calling him out.

I wish King was still on the title

Quote Originally Posted by Fergus View Post
    I wish King was still on the title
    Only if he leaves the Basic stuff and the Meows behind. Had enough of that.