Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

So far I think he's taking the Batman books back to the 90s and early 2000s which is one of the worst eras of Batman ever
    The worst type of nostalgia is peppered throughout his writing and ultimately I like some of the anime influences but of course when you have a character like Batman its hard for stuff like that to not come off as weebish

Don't like how he's using Harley Quinn but that's not a big deal he has no control over her character vs say what he's doing with Babs

I miss Snyder and King but I guess DC doesn't have a huge big name writer to hand off the book

I’m glad it’s still double shipping. We were told (I think?) that DC was going to stop that heading into 2020, but this run has thus far worked very well shipping twice a month — not sure I’d like it as much as I have if we were just now wrapping up Tynion’s first arc.

Both Bat books are solid right now, IMO. Perhaps nothing definitive, or runs we’ll all look back on and marvel at, but I’m consistently enjoying what I’m reading, and that certainly isn’t always the case with Batman and Tec.

It's been way better than I thought it would be but man can we please stop with all the Bruce "I got everything all wrong" stuff. I get that people want comics to reflect some of real life but it can't connect on some issues because of the fantastical world comics take place in. In real world any superhero would be tracked down and arrested inside a month, joker and supervillains would be executed etc. when ever writers go all "shouldnt batman give his wealth to gotham" it breaks from the comic world too much. That and tynion basically having that every character in costume other than bruce really "knows" gotham but bruce doesn't just rings untrue. It comes across like an angsty teen complaining that parents don't get it, that might work with some superheroes but bruce had his parents murdered in front of him and recently lost his only other father figure, pretty sure he gets the stakes of things and how dangerous things can be. Instead we are probably gonna get more stephanie brown, clownhunter, punchline and everyone lecturing bruce that he doesn't know what struggles are, which is just stupid.
    "You know, there are some words I've known since I was a schoolboy: "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.. The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged"- CAPT. Picard

Astonishing Member

Least it's not Tom King at his worst. I'd rate Tynion decent-good, no more than that. Book's dropped off since Morrison and Snyder.

It's far better than anything King wrote on the title, and it's slowly offering ways to undo most of the damage the Rebirth run did.

Not perfect, I don't care for the whole "doesn't have money" thing. But it's been so refreshing and fun compared to Tom Kings borefest of a run.

Plus he seems like he's going to keep fixing the Batfamily, which is always good.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Astonishing Member

Alot of interesting consepts and setups, but needs to stick the landing better

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I miss Snyder and King but I guess DC doesn't have a huge big name writer to hand off the book
    I get that impression, too. My problem with Tynion is that there's always a whole lot of bluster, but without much substance.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 10-26-2020 at 11:19 AM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member

I couldn't stick out King's run (with the whole "Bat"/"Cat" pet names and over-laying that, I also thought his run lacked focus), I've only read the DARK DESIGNS tpb of Tynion IV's run but to me its far better then King's run was (and may even be better then Snyder's but its too early to say that for sure)

Un-offensive, but incredibly dull.

BANNED

Generic "high stakes" story filled with popular characters to establish a new status quo.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    A whole lot of nothing tbh.

The ideas of questioning Batman's connections to GCPD and limiting Wayne's wealth are both great but I don't see much happening with them.

Immediately going to the Joker, as well as making it an 'event', does not bode well either.
    I imagine the Joker storyline was mandated. Assuming it was, I'm hoping he really runs with the whole being relatively broke thing and we see a less omniscient Batman now.

One thing I really like about Tynion is his dialogue. There are a lot of great character moments (for lack of a better term, I know that technically every moment is a "character moment" but indulge me) in his stories and he can establish a rapport in just a panel or two. It would be cool to see him establish himself as a crime fiction author as much as a Batman writer during his run.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I know we should judge comic runs on their own merit, but it really should be noted a lot of the weirdness surroudning the nature of his run so far comes from outsdie editorial interfences.

-The book was originally going to be monthly, but then got changed to twice a month when batman/catwoman got delayed
    -Was originally only going to 100 issues and Ridley was supposed to replace, but 5G got cancelled and DC saw the book getting huge sales numbers with his run run

That being said, I'm enjoying his run so far. I dislike the art sometimes, but I think Tynion has right frame of mind when it comes to working on this title and I'm excited to see him really get to be on this book with less craziness going on behind the scenes after future state.

Quote Originally Posted by cgh View Post
    I imagine the Joker storyline was mandated. Assuming it was, I'm hoping he really runs with the whole being relatively broke thing and we see a less omniscient Batman now.

One thing I really like about Tynion is his dialogue. There are a lot of great character moments (for lack of a better term, I know that technically every moment is a "character moment" but indulge me) in his stories and he can establish a rapport in just a panel or two. It would be cool to see him establish himself as a crime fiction author as much as a Batman writer during his run.
    I think Joker War was originally supposed to be the last Batman vs Joker story to lead into 5G, but things changed.

Mighty Member

Big "eh" from me. I don't enjoy Joker War as a part of the ongoing OR as the "last Batman vs Joker" story. Just too much in the vein of Snyder's "biggest story possible" philosophy but without Snyder's panache.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm