Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Incredible Member

So far, over-promised and under-delivered.

Mighty Member

It's better than Tom King at his worst, but it's so much worse than Tom King at his better. And he is the writer who finally completely tired me out of the joker. Time to put him aside for two or three years, when someone has a really original story to tell with him, not an umpteenth story of "Joker completely destroy Gotham and kill thousand of people to give Batman a lesson". Stop, we get it.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

I really liked their dark designs. It was better that city of bane. I haven't read joker war or the tie ins yet but I'm assuming it will be as good as TDD was.

I do hope after this future state nonsense we have a new writer on batman soon. I'm really exhausted with these 3 to 6 year runs. If really like a solid three years of small runs, 20 to 25 issues tops. I don't want to go on a 65 to 100 run again for a while.

I'm enjoying it so far though I'm kinda indifferent about Punchline and I don't know how "Defund Batman" will be any different from previous stories where Bruce has lost the Wayne fortune. But I trust him, Joker War felt different from previous big Joker stories.

I'm excited to finally have Harper Row back in comics (it's been over three years now), so I'm excited to find out what role she'll be playing in upcoming storylines. I'm also interested in seeing Tynion's thought process about characters. He's said that Harley and Punchline are polar opposites, and that Harper and Punchline are reflections of one another. If you were to assume that it's laid out on a 2-by-2 grid, then I'm guessing the fourth slot is supposed to be Clownhunter.
    I'm currently reading Batman, Detective Comics, DCeased: Dead Planet, Dark Knights: Death Metal, Daredevil, Thor, Nightwing, The Rise of Ultraman and Red Hood and The Outlaws. I'm also trade-waiting the Hickman-era of X-Men comics.

one thing I can say I appreciate about Tynion's run so far, it feel more accessible than Tom King's. That's one thing that bothered me about Tom Kings run, even when he was at his best King's run felt like it was always reaching for something more artsy than necessary; I feel Tynion writes with a more consistent and creatively balanced voice.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Its more by the numbers. King got a bit lost in it, but at least he's was trying to do something different. King's run was King's run. Its wasn't an imitation of what he was influenced by. Personally i'd still rather see creators try that and fail, then be safe and lean old eras and marketing techniques.

Man tynions story from joker war zone was AWESOME!!! It was like he was speaking through joker to King through Bane! Damn was it savage!!! Loved it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Its more by the numbers. King got a bit lost in it, but at least he's was trying to do something different. King's run was King's run. Its wasn't an imitation of what he was influenced by. Personally i'd still rather see creators try that and fail, then be safe and lean old eras and marketing techniques.
    I'd put King in-line with Tynion in that I respect their intentions, but their execution often ends up getting the best of them and not selling their ideas well to the audience.

Good but not great, 7 out of 10 thus far. Still, IMO, he's far better than what came before if only for his return to well-worn Batman tropes. If not for the King debacle I might very well rank him lower, say a 6.5 or ever a 6 out of 10.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    About a million times this. Tynion has always seemed to be a company man, more willing to tow the company line than do anything truly interesting or creative.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 11-02-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Currently, Tynion is writing the best Batman run since Snyder. It has its low points, but I'm enjoying the atmosphere that Tynion has created–it actually FEELS like a Batman comic, something that was sorely lacking in King's run.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 11-02-2020 at 03:54 PM.

I'll throw my hat into the ring as say that I like his run too. Maybe it's just Jimenez' art fooling me, but I feel like I'm reading a Batman book every month. People defend King, but gloss over the fact that a lot of his issues feel like straight up filler. I haven't got that feeling with Tynion yet.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    About a million times this. Tynion has always seemed to be a company man, more willing to tow the company line than do anything truly interesting or creative.
    Hasn't everyone at DC pretty much been company men since DiDio and then Johns?

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    He seems to be injecting enough of his own new characters and concepts to where it seems like he's trying to make his mark.

That’s the thing though, its more like new paint on old concepts.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-02-2020 at 06:13 PM.