Default Jon Sable worth reading?

Had never heard about it until recently, is it worth checking out?

I've heard that the later issues of the original series aren't very good, but the first forty issues or so, that I've read are very good IMO. I also enjoyed the two miniseries from IDW.

The Grell series Jon Sable, Freelance from First is definitely worth reading. The follow up series Sable, not done by Grell, not so much. Haven't read the later IDW series, but there is also a 2 issue mini called Maggie the Cat done by Grell for Image that ties into a supporting character from the Jon Sable, Freelance series that is worth checking out as well.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

If you like Mike Grell sure it's a fun trip, but if you don't like Grell's writing and/or art style then no.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

YES! But-- as Weirdspace and MRP both suggest, above, it's the first 40-some issues, by Grell, that are worth your time. The Maggie the Cat series is also good reading. The non-Mike Grell Sable issues were deeply sub-standard in my opinion.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

From what I've read, that Maggie the Cat series was unfinished after the two issues. Grell ran a Kickstarter to polish up the first two issues and reissue them and I believe they're going to do a 2nd Kickstarter to provide the original planned final two issues.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Astonishing Member

Shaman's Tears and Bar Sinister are also part of Sable's universe. I don't remember what they were about but I do remember liking both when I read them in the '90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    From what I've read, that Maggie the Cat series was unfinished after the two issues. Grell ran a Kickstarter to polish up the first two issues and reissue them and I believe they're going to do a 2nd Kickstarter to provide the original planned final two issues.
    I actually think the kickstarter was for both but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by TotalSnorefest; 11-11-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Mod edit: fixed quote

Some of my favorite comic book reading.