All-New Member

Default PURCHASED STORAGE UNIT WITH 1000’s of mint comics.. help!

I purchase storage units and I recently purchased one with 1000’s of what look to be brand new, but older comics.. they’ve been in storage since 1997, so no light. They are also all
    In plastic and on boards.. they aren’t crazy expensive ones like old Superman but I’m sure some in this condition are hard to find! Any pointers as to what to do? I don’t know anything about comics except what I’ve googled when I found them! Run from some in the mid 70’s.. not many. 80’s and latest date I saw I think was 1991, all the X-men .. someone told me since they aren’t the old ones they aren’t worth anything and to just get rid of them.. are they right?? I’ve seen a couple that it seems people like.. eternals.. kamandi. Etc help please!

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

There are some comics that are HOT right now. Its best to go online and do some research into 1st appearance keys like this. Now you listed off Eternals 1 , that and #3-4 are now big keys for collectors to get as the movie is coming out. Check E-Bay , Mycomicshop.com and google to research what you have. Keep in mind if you sell to a comic shop they aren't gonna give you full value of keys and other issues because they have to make a profit themselves.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

BANNED

Temper expectations. First off, never try to sell to a comic shop. They usually have thin margins, more back issues than they're ever going to sell, and can only afford to give you pennies on the dollar. Might seem unfair on the outside, but the chances of them recouping even that amount is 50/50 (most of their regular clientele has picked over their back issue bins years before). Like SuperE said, make a list and check it against eBay. If you find issues that seem to be going for a fair amount, or have a key 1st appearance (might help to get a price guide, will often have that info) it might be worth looking them over for condition and (if they seem to be in very good condition) sending them out to CGC to get graded. If they're in the 9.6/9.8 range they will sell for a ridiculous amount more than if they're not graded (hard to trust word of amateur graders online without being able to look over book yourself, grading eliminates that).

The vast majority of your stock will likely be sold to someone for pennies on the dollar, and you honestly might not be able to give them away (unless to someone looking for reading material). That said, could be fun and if you're into buying storage units I'd imagine checking for hidden gems and getting them graded won't seem like much extra work for the reward.

I think if this happened to me, I'd post the entire bunch of comics on Ebay with your description, plus a little more based on your research, and set some "low end of ridiculous" price reserve on the whole thing. See if anyone bites. If not, repost with a lower reserve. Etc.

Otherwise you are going to be piecing out the collection, which seems like a huge time sink.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Leabeth View Post
    I purchase storage units and I recently purchased one with 1000’s of what look to be brand new, but older comics.. they’ve been in storage since 1997, so no light. They are also all
    In plastic and on boards.. they aren’t crazy expensive ones like old Superman but I’m sure some in this condition are hard to find! Any pointers as to what to do? I don’t know anything about comics except what I’ve googled when I found them! Run from some in the mid 70’s.. not many. 80’s and latest date I saw I think was 1991, all the X-men .. someone told me since they aren’t the old ones they aren’t worth anything and to just get rid of them.. are they right?? I’ve seen a couple that it seems people like.. eternals.. kamandi. Etc help please!
    I have some friends who went crazy late 80's through late 90's buying any and all comics, ones with all the variant covers and multiples of everything thinking that they were going to be worth a fortune. They all held them and eventually all 4 of them had to get rid of their books. None made any money on them and I say actually lost money, since they rarely even got the cover price. Most books got between 10 cents and 27 cents. Some less like 5 cents, a few others 50 cents or 60 cents. Very few made it past 1 dollar. The reason is Marvel produced so many of those books that even the stores still have stocks of them. Everyone and their family became a collector during that period of time. Glutted the market.

It can't hurt to try some of the other ideas, but it will take up your time. Good luck!