Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question The Brett Booth Controversy

So, this has mostly been playing out on Twitter, but it's relevant.

A fair few prominent voices of X-Twitter have taken umbrage at the hiring of one Brett Booth as the artist on issue 17 of X-Men. The source his argument with Janelle Asselin over her critique of a Teen Titans cover. This is especially relevant to us here because it was one component of the the very incident that lead to this forum being rebooted a handful years back.

In response, prominent comics reviewers such as Xavier Files and WWAC have decided not to cover or review the title while Booth is the artist.

https://twitter.com/XavierFiles/stat...71320047435777
    Xavier Files supports the decision to not cover books Brett Booth draws.

It's deeply unfortunate that Marvel has chosen to pattern with someone with a history of harassment, misogyny, and hateful retoric towards the Jewish and Islamic communities. We hope they reconsider.
    https://twitter.com/RobertSecundus/s...69193080815616

can't know a dude's heart but idk, all this FEMALES talk makes it really seem like he hasn't changed much since that harassment awfulness

I should have said this earlier, but please don't harass this dude because you saw this thread. If this becomes any kind of thing at all where this guy can play victim, that's going to lead to bad outcomes. Just block and ignore, and skip his x-men comic.
    https://twitter.com/nolapfau/status/1319679465304117250
    We at @wwacomics will also not be covering X-Men for this duration.
    Now, of course, there are other who are fans of Brett's art and art glad to see him on the book. This includes other creatives, some of whom are currently employed at Marvel themselves.

https://twitter.com/BlakeNorthcott/s...34450124230658

ABOUT. DAMN. TIME. 💕

Congratulations, Brett. You deserve it! I can't WAIT to get this issue!
    https://twitter.com/ScienceJesus/sta...58615249764353
    BRETT WAS BORN TO DRAW THE X-MEN!
    https://twitter.com/juaneferreyra/st...28857234063360
    Congrats on the new gig Brett!! so cool! glad to have you at Marvel!
    https://twitter.com/MarkBrooksArt/st...01788052152320
    Congrats Boo! Welcome back!

Given the multiple vectors of relevance to this community, it seems appropriate to open it up to discussion here. But bear in mind: regardless of your feelings on the subject, no harassment should be directed at Brett Booth, nor towards his defenders and detractors.

Does Brett Booth's behavior effect your desire to buy and/or read the main X-Men title?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

No. it absolutely doesn't.
    I'm reading it for HiX-Man's writing as much as the really good (in my estimation) art, so far. I may not like Booth's art but I can admit it's not the absolute worst. Even so...

His illustrating the X-Men and my subsequent enjoyment of the book has absolutely nothing to do with his personal opinions regarding ridiculous, years old non-troversies.

Further...I do not care about nor do I rely on comic book reviewers in general so the fact that XF and WWAC are refusing to review the issue due to a strong lack of objectivity (as is their right) means absolutely nothing to me. (If they can't be object towards the material they're reviewing, regardless then, they're not very good at their jobs so it's just as well)
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

It's pretty disappointing to me that the X-Office, who seemed to at least make more of an effort in hiring diverse talent and bringing more LGBTQI+ and PoC characters to the forefront (even if still not enough) as of late, would go and hire someone who represents... the opposite of all that. Brought me back down to earth I guess.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    It's pretty disappointing to me that the X-Office, who seemed to at least make more of an effort in hiring diverse talent and bringing more LGBTQI+ and PoC characters to the forefront (even if still not enough) as of late, would go and hire someone who represents... the opposite of all that. Brought me back down to earth I guess.
    This just goes to show that as a rule, corporations and it's high and middle management are just interested in nominal support for diversity.

BANNED

This won't change anything for me. I'll still be getting the issue. The fact Xavierfiles objects makes me want to buy 2 copies. They are a complete hack and their reviews in my opinion are a joke.
    Last edited by PetPigeon; 10-25-2020 at 02:41 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    It's pretty disappointing to me that the X-Office, who seemed to at least make more of an effort in hiring diverse talent and bringing more LGBTQI+ and PoC characters to the forefront
    Have they really though? I'm not surprised by this at all.

When we remember the top editor of the comics division catfished as an Asian man so he could hire himself as diversity, this seems right in line with someone Marvel would give work to.

Incredible Member Lady Midnight's Avatar

I'll be skipping his issues. I'll follow the action online, but I will not buy anything he draws.

Fantastic Member

Reality check:

This nonsense could have flown before 2020, but not after this year.

And the writer seemed to target Booth but her very valid concern wasn’t him so much as anonymous rape threats, reading the blog.

Lesson from 2020: Snowflakes, Pick Better Targets. stop being offended by stupid Twitter **** because the world is burning around us. And this is from LBGTQ member who’d been assaulted and harassed and overcome it over 15 long effing years and left for dead by Maga fools and The Woke alike, so don’t condescend to me.

Outrage certainly didn’t help me. By now everyone should know better. Grow up time.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    No. it absolutely doesn't.
    I'm reading it for HiX-Man's writing as much as the really good (in my estimation) art, so far. I may not like Booth's art but I can admit it's not the absolute worst. Even so...

His illustrating the X-Men and my subsequent enjoyment of the book has absolutely nothing to do with his personal opinions regarding ridiculous, years old non-troversies.
    I'm just curious. As someone who seems quite satisfied with yourself in this position (from my cursory browsing of threads you seem to enjoy declaring this type of opinion rather often), do you have a threshold where your enjoyment will be affected? Like if Booth did what he did to someone like your mother or sister rather than a woman you don't care about, would it change things? I actually would like to know.

I think you said something about if his "personal opinions" were sacrificing babies, you still wouldn't care? Obviously an exaggeration, but what if?

BANNED

It does because I don't believe in separating art from artist. Booth will gain money from any purchase of the book, I believe, so that's pretty bad. Though I don't follow him on Twitter, but his feed screams to me "liberal who just complains about Trump because he wants him gone so he has to stop pretending to care about politics and issues of minorities". Which is, surprisingly, what a large chunk of this place sounds like. Similar way of talk and all. So I kinda don't get the outrage when it comes from certain posters.

That aside, if he doesn't own up and apologize and show that he advanced as a person, then that will be a problem. At least he isn't in XoS, so I can buy my TPB next year guiltless.

Personally, the guy is small potatoes.

You pull him out of the equation entirely?

The picture probably looks exactly the same.

All that said, the solicit feels like it could be one of the least interesting issues of the run so far. May very well buy it, but will also respect where folks who cannot are coming from.

The folks who are actually excited about his art on the title? That's what I just don't get. Totally baffling.

Incredible Member

I remember I could not tell booth’s art from Churchill’s

I give them both a pass.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    I'm just curious. As someone who seems quite satisfied with yourself in this position (from my cursory browsing of threads you seem to enjoy declaring this type of opinion rather often), do you have a threshold where your enjoyment will be affected? Like if Booth did what he did to someone like your mother or sister rather than a woman you don't care about, would it change things? I actually would like to know.

I think you said something about if his "personal opinions" were sacrificing babies, you still wouldn't care? Obviously an exaggeration, but what if?
    Well...firstly...The OP asked a question, I gave my answer. My "self-satisfaction" certainly did not factor in my response, regardless of what you might think.

Secondly...I don't dwell and ruminate on "What ifs" only on What Is.
    He, like any of us, like ALL of us, have opinions that many people would disagree with, have disagreed with right here in this forum...but it's not his opinions that are illustrated on the pages of the comic book I enjoy reading.

For me, It's that simple.

With regards to the non-troversy and his twitter responses...again...his opinions...none of which I find particularly egregious or offensive (I've read far worse).

I hope this clarifies things for you.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

Astonishing Member

I enjoy Booth's art. It's sad finding out the negative character of a creator I enjoy.

Are there bits to the altercation missing? He states that if you want to critique someone point out positives followed by a negative. I don't necessarily agree with that especially if something is trash but all the misogyny is coming from anonymous users. As for his piss poor analogy on extremists its just that a piss poor faux pas. Extremists tend to be bad, the point could be made a lot better but not necessary factually incorrect. As for her point on the cover, perfectly valid criticism.

I'm going to meditate on Ayishat Anakbi..."Remember that time when we were possessed by dogma and we cut off our friends and family for failing to meet our ideological standards so we could signal to people who would resent us for anything less than the exact same beliefs that we are indeed, good people?

-Us, one day"