Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I was disappointed when he was announced because I wasn't a fan of his art from his first go-around with X-men. I think he has improved some because his initial X-men art had elongated faces and bodies. I try to find something to appreciate with most comic art. I was a big defender of Igor Kordey back in the day (based on his art.. I don't know anything about the person).

With Booth I was only mildly aware of the controversy over the cover from years back. I was more knowledgeable about his twitter posts where he appeared to be sympathetic with a comics group that we aren't supposed to talk about. I'm not sure if he went all in with that group or not. Being sympathetic to them was bad enough because it felt like he was choosing a side and taking an anti-social justice stand (not standing up to those harassing others in the fandom and by doing so further legitimizing them in the eyes of others).

His posts on religious groups I do find troubling but a lot of non-believers say disparaging things about believers. I see it all the time especially on social media from both problematic people and so called progressive and radical types.

I'm not sure yet if I am going to purchase the issues with his art. I detest EVS but yet I still own his work on New X-men (though if it was coming out today I would def boycott anything EVS related). Booth's views sound so outdated and problematic. I'm not really surprised he was chosen, but I am among the disappointed.

I understand those that will not be purchasing the issue or talking about the issues in their online publications. It would be interesting to see Booth respond to the criticisms and see how he handles it. I wonder what Hickman thinks, but I think Hickman likely doesn't care about fan opinions on twitter or the so called "twitter mob" since he's dealt with that before and it is my opinion a lot of creators do not have a positive view of us (fans who post on forums and social media). Instead of trying to understand why people are upset they just see us as crazies and they feign victimization. The cycle continues.
    Last edited by MechaJeanix; 10-25-2020 at 05:27 PM.