Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is the main reason I never got on Twitter, everything is a controversy and where every opinion matters unless it doesn't fit the "majority" than that person should be cancelled. Now I'm not saying a person should get away with anything and expect their work to sell, but over this... it's a bridge too far.
    As for me, I never was a fan of Booth's work for reason some have stated, but I'm not going to stop reading a particular title because he's on it. But I will say I wouldn't go out of my way to pick up a title if he was the main artist, like when he was on Flash. There I was a causal reader, so I wasn't going to stay on with him on it. Unfortunately, I stayed on the mess that was Titans, because I love the real Titans as much as I love the X-Men, even though DC doesn't treat them with much respect, and that title was a horrible. But I blame Abnett's bad writing over the art.

Hey OP, you forgot the various anti-Semitic and islamophobic posts on his twitter and his blog.

https://twitter.com/robertsecundus/s...080815616?s=21

http://demonpuppy.blogspot.com/2012/09/?m=1

The thing about Booth is that he’s one of those “le epic reddit atheist” guys. You know the guy, the guy that wears a fedora and tries to own every religious person that crosses his path in a debate. He hold these views but sees them as morally right because “well organized religion does messed up stuff all the time” which is a poor reason to attack someone’s faith.

He also sees himself as being just as liberal as anyone else in comics. He hates trump, so he doesn’t need to challenge his views or think critically about these opinions. He ultimately winds up being just as regressive as the people he claims to hate.

Which also feeds back into his art. He cannot grow past the 90s style. And sure, there are absolutely some people that look at his art and then look Pepe Larraz’s art and then will say that Booth fits the X-Men better, which is false. The X-Men don’t look like Jim Lee drawings anymore, they’ve moved past that. Booth has never grown as artist, he just does the same things every book he’s on. He never figured out how to properly draw thighs, or to properly scale characters, and his regular colorist is the worst colorist in modern comics (although I think Sunny Gho will be coloring him on X-Men).

Remember the Syaf situation? This is like that, except fans caught on to it before it was too late to change it.

Yeah, I honestly haven't gotten deep into it but it seems like it's not just one thing, he has a history of being like that.

I'll still be getting his issues, but I kinda support the sentiment.

Holding every religion to the same standard and not giving a free pass to Islam or Judaism is not anything-phobic. It's just not being an hypocritical atheist.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Mediocre, white, cis-gendered penciller has bullshit opinions shocker. I'm out for those issues, not least because they won't be visually memorable.

Why isn't Hickman working with a top-tier artist like Yu? Did they all get RSI at the same time? Booth's work is generic titties-&-guns-Jim-Lee-homage on covers, but on interiors he's just meh- storytelling and draughtsmanship wise.

(Yu draws everyone with the same face but his character designs and dramatic pacing are excellent).
    Last edited by Foon4000; 10-26-2020 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Foon4000 View Post
    Mediocre, white, cis-gendered penciller has bullshit opinions shocker. I'm out for those issues.

Why isn't Hickman working with a top-tier artist like Yu? Did they all get RSI at the same time? Booth's work is generic titties-&-guns-Jim-Lee-homage on covers, but on interiors he's just meh- storytelling and draughtsmanship wise.
    BC says Hickman picked Booth but I don’t believe that. This is 100% a Cebulski decision. He probably recommended him to Hickman and Hickman, unaware of any controversy, went “okay, sure.”

I saw someone on twitter made a list of people more deserving of the gig and like, they couldn’t have gotten, like, Kuder? Or Molina?

Having Booth on the book is... unfortunate. I won't be picking up anything with his work in it.
    Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating

CBR community Standards and Rules

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Holding every religion to the same standard and not giving a free pass to Islam or Judaism is not anything-phobic. It's just not being an hypocritical atheist.
    Yes, famously non-demonised religions (checks notes) Judaism and Islam need to stop getting a free pass from... somebody.

Anyway, this guy comes across as one of those angry atheists you get when you realise your parents were trying to indoctrinate you into some bizarre group delusion and you don’t have to go to church anymore. A few here went through this - I definitely did. He’ll grow out of it when he’s out of his teens.
    Last edited by Frobisher; 10-26-2020 at 10:10 AM.

He seems a bit of an ******* but at least as much as the Comicgate have tried to attract him, he has made it clear that he is not interested.

It doesn't seem like a deal breaker for me. Especially when we do not know who has decided that he is there.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I care very little about Brett Booth's views but I can understand why someone would be upset over his past comments. And it's certainly everyone's prerogative to support (or not) whatever artists they choose.

My problem however is his style, which I oh so strongly dislike. I could put up with the weird faces with long noses if there was something interesting in his storytelling or page composition, but I truly find everything he does very boring, and virtually unchanged since the 90s when he was doing Backlash.

I think he's already confirmed he's just doing a few issues of X-Men and then another few issues of another X-book and I really hope that's about it for him in the X-office.

Quote Originally Posted by psylurker View Post
    I care very little about Brett Booth's views but I can understand why someone would be upset over his past comments. And it's certainly everyone's prerogative to support (or not) whatever artists they choose.

My problem however is his style, which I oh so strongly dislike. I could put up with the weird faces with long noses if there was something interesting in his storytelling or page composition, but I truly find everything he does very boring, and virtually unchanged since the 90s when he was doing Backlash.

I think he's already confirmed he's just doing a few issues of X-Men and then another few issues of another X-book and I really hope that's about it for him in the X-office.
    A few? Why would the X-Office even put themselves in this situation?

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    A few? Why would the X-Office even put themselves in this situation?
    That's what Brett said on Twitter. I really don't know if it was Hickman who wanted him or White - I usually hate how artists jump from project to project after a handful of issues but in this case I will be happy if he moves on to something else soon!

BANNED

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 10-26-2020 at 06:42 PM.

The guy seems a bit immature but nothing posted is egregiously offensive. The bit with him wanting to cater to both young boys and continue to cater to women didn’t seem offensive at all. The religious stuff is a bit narrow minded but I don’t know the context of why he posted that on his blog. The worst offense was definitely the argument he got into with the woman who criticized the Teen Titans cover. I actually thought the way she presented her criticism distracted from her points but his response seemed unnecessary and over the top. Nothing to stop me from buying the books.

I’m also very much in the camp of separation of art and artist.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Seeing the art he's done for X-Men #17 so far... I'm very glad he's moving onto XML.