Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    Popularity has nothing to do with how the characters are written. Horikoshi likes Bakugou and has made him and his relationship to Deku important to the story from the get go, but he has also acknowledge that a lot of fans who just hate Bakugou for the bullying he put Deku through and his general attitude. So he's taking that into account, like most recently having Bakugou acknowledge that he treated Deku poorly.

Same with Kishimoto, he liked Sasuke and he was always going to be important to the story and have a big part to play.
    To be honest, at this point, I think Bakugou is only here because fans, the author, and Jump demanded him. While it's clear that Horikoshi loves writing Bakugou than Deku because god knows every character development went to Bakugou and Deku. But, I think it's clear that the love of Bakugou outweighs his hate, I mean he is the focus of the second movie for no good reason. I believe it's already known that he is the winner of every popularity vote aside from the first one.

I also think that at this point, you can erase half of the MHA cast with Thanos snap or kill them in the Secret War and the story of Deku will still there. I mean, aside from Deku who just suddenly become the strongest, most useful, and unbeatable hero every students in UA is interchangeable. The same can be said with Bakugou, he doesn't have any role, I mean important role in the story aside from supposed to be Deku's rival (I mean that even laughable because how weak he is compared to Deku now, Deku has seven quirks with three already unlocked and Bakugou only has one and not even comparable to Deku's three) and just popular because he has more noticeable character developments than the other.

So at this point if Bakugou is still alive or well after the attack that he got there! Then he is really, really, beloved by fans and because of that Editor ask Horikoshi not to kill him and Horikoshi is happy to do so because Bakugou is one of his favorite character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    This is an incredibly weird take you have here.

Ah yes, the only reason they structured the entire story of Naruto around the dynamic and relationship between Naruto and Sasuke and their respective responses to the legacy and politics of their world is because oops Sasuke is popular so they couldn't write him out even though they obviously wanted to because he's mean and authors don't really want to write about mean characters.

What do you think the story of Naruto even is?
    To be honest with you in my humblest opinion Naruto story is just the incarnations of everything that Kishi made up and threw to the wall to see what sticks. I mean the story at this point with Boruto manga doesn't make any sense and to be honest. It's about Ninja fight then come an alien that never really explained whatsoever. Oh! Mangekyo Sharingan, eh it's actually can turn into Rinnegan for some reason. First Hokage is the strongest, eh isn't the second strongest according to Hiruzen when he fought against Orochimaru in first part. Itachi is dying to level the playfield against Sasuke. Madara seemingly undefeatable power that seems like Kishi really love Uchiha

Everything in Naruto is just plain nonsense. So to me, the story even can be summarized as this hypocrite that is neglected as a child by the worst assholes AND idiots imaginable, wanted to become a leader of his village and is that hard? Nah, he is actually a reincarnation of Ninja Jesus, from the strongest bloodlines the world can offer and having the strongest monster in his belly that apparently equal to six other creature like that. I mean even from the summary it can be seen that Kishi just making things up just so he can write his own DBZ.

So is Sasuke popular so the writer doesn't write anything mean happens to the character... Yeah... I mean he never actually lost any fight against in Shippuden, at worst he is this close to lose during the five kage arc. But, he is unanimously win everything despite clearly he is supposed to be lost. Like, Danzo fight where Danzo become stupid and just rely on Izanagi despite he must know that the moment Sasuke use Susanoo, his time is limited and he will die, because of the amount of Uchiha's research that he has done. Deidara fight conclusion where he is supposed to be dead, but suddenly he had enough chakra to do kuchiyose where Naruto in his first part need a large amount of chakra to do kuchiyose. So it's clear that Sasuke is really beloved by Kishi, fans, and Editor who actually created Sasuke so he actually never lost the fight in Shippuden even once. The only lost he had is against Madara, but it's Madara, a character that Kishi wank too and an Uchiha so his bullshit doesn't work with Uchiha, because Kishi loves all Uchiha.

So... Yeah, Naruto story in a sense is just plain nonsense.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    To be honest with you in my humblest opinion Naruto story is just the incarnations of everything that Kishi made up and threw to the wall to see what sticks. I mean the story at this point with Boruto manga doesn't make any sense and to be honest. It's about Ninja fight then come an alien that never really explained whatsoever. Oh! Mangekyo Sharingan, eh it's actually can turn into Rinnegan for some reason. First Hokage is the strongest, eh isn't the second strongest according to Hiruzen when he fought against Orochimaru in first part. Itachi is dying to level the playfield against Sasuke. Madara seemingly undefeatable power that seems like Kishi really love Uchiha

Everything in Naruto is just plain nonsense. So to me, the story even can be summarized as this hypocrite that is neglected as a child by the worst assholes AND idiots imaginable, wanted to become a leader of his village and is that hard? Nah, he is actually a reincarnation of Ninja Jesus, from the strongest bloodlines the world can offer and having the strongest monster in his belly that apparently equal to six other creature like that. I mean even from the summary it can be seen that Kishi just making things up just so he can write his own DBZ.

So is Sasuke popular so the writer doesn't write anything mean happens to the character... Yeah... I mean he never actually lost any fight against in Shippuden, at worst he is this close to lose during the five kage arc. But, he is unanimously win everything despite clearly he is supposed to be lost. Like, Danzo fight where Danzo become stupid and just rely on Izanagi despite he must know that the moment Sasuke use Susanoo, his time is limited and he will die, because of the amount of Uchiha's research that he has done. Deidara fight conclusion where he is supposed to be dead, but suddenly he had enough chakra to do kuchiyose where Naruto in his first part need a large amount of chakra to do kuchiyose. So it's clear that Sasuke is really beloved by Kishi, fans, and Editor who actually created Sasuke so he actually never lost the fight in Shippuden even once. The only lost he had is against Madara, but it's Madara, a character that Kishi wank too and an Uchiha so his bullshit doesn't work with Uchiha, because Kishi loves all Uchiha.

So... Yeah, Naruto story in a sense is just plain nonsense.
    Man, it's like being in 2011 all over again, I have not missed the incredibly poorly thought out reactions to Sasuke.

None of what you've said here actually answers my original counterpoint. Sasuke is integral to the story of Naruto because the story is about him and Naruto and their respective reactions to the society they are a part of. Now, whether you think that story is good or bad is for you to decide, but your assertion that Sasuke was only kept in the story exclusively because of his popularity is flatly not true.

You can project as hard as you like about Kishimoto's "agenda" or whatever, and I'm sure you will, but to pretend that all his creative decisions were due to the popularity of one character is just not true.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    To be honest, at this point, I think Bakugou is only here because fans, the author, and Jump demanded him. While it's clear that Horikoshi loves writing Bakugou than Deku because god knows every character development went to Bakugou and Deku. But, I think it's clear that the love of Bakugou outweighs his hate, I mean he is the focus of the second movie for no good reason. I believe it's already known that he is the winner of every popularity vote aside from the first one.

I also think that at this point, you can erase half of the MHA cast with Thanos snap or kill them in the Secret War and the story of Deku will still there. I mean, aside from Deku who just suddenly become the strongest, most useful, and unbeatable hero every students in UA is interchangeable. The same can be said with Bakugou, he doesn't have any role, I mean important role in the story aside from supposed to be Deku's rival (I mean that even laughable because how weak he is compared to Deku now, Deku has seven quirks with three already unlocked and Bakugou only has one and not even comparable to Deku's three) and just popular because he has more noticeable character developments than the other.

So at this point if Bakugou is still alive or well after the attack that he got there! Then he is really, really, beloved by fans and because of that Editor ask Horikoshi not to kill him and Horikoshi is happy to do so because Bakugou is one of his favorite character.
    What?

So you think that Bakugou continued existence hinges entirely on his popularity? That his presence and screentime overshadows side character only because he's popular. And that it doesn't have anything to do with Horikoshi intending for him all along to be one of the main characters and a narrative counterpart to Deku's own journey? Really?

It's not Bakugou's popularity that influences Horikoshi's writing of him. It's Horikoshi's writing that makes Bakugou popular.

I mean, I personally have my issues with the character. But your reasoning is just kinda weird.

Also, Deku has plenty of character development of his own (better than Bakugou's if you ask me) and the two of them shared the focus of the second movie.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I don't mind Deku being chill with him. It's problematic and really weird but I can rationalise it as logical.

What I don't get is Bakugou being an arse to everyone else and everyone, including the teachers being like "Oh Bakugou, you little scamp,"

It just makes everything feel off.
    I think that part is justified by the fact that no one else in Class 1A is actually intimidated by him since despite being the big man in a civilian school, his current classmates are all, in their own ways, comparably driven, determined, and courageous as him, so they just treat him like an extremely yappy puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I think that part is justified by the fact that no one else in Class 1A is actually intimidated by him since despite being the big man in a civilian school, his current classmates are all, in their own ways, comparably driven, determined, and courageous as him, so they just treat him like an extremely yappy puppy.
    I kind of get that but he's not a dog who isn't in control of his actions. He's a person, a young man no less, and he's a rude, obnoxious and violent little bastard. I find it weird that his behaviour is tacitly endorsed by his teachers by them just shrugging it off.

Like, seriously, you don't make a would-be hero better by ignoring the fact that he's an abusive little turd.

I kind of get that but he's not a dog who isn't in control of his actions. He's a person, a young man no less, and he's a rude, obnoxious and violent little bastard. I find it weird that his behaviour is tacitly endorsed by his teachers by them just shrugging it off.

Like, seriously, you don't make a would-be hero better by ignoring the fact that he's an abusive little turd.
    For what it's worth, he does pull his weight out in the field and he did recently save Deku from getting stabbed and still wants to help fight. So he can be a hero he just needs to work on the serious attitude problem and make amends.

Not sure why Mineta's still there though.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    For what it's worth, he does pull his weight out in the field and he did recently save Deku from getting stabbed and still wants to help fight. So he can be a hero he just needs to work on the serious attitude problem and make amends.
    There's no "for what it's worth," when that's literally the bare minimum standard for being in UA. Pretty much every other student does all that and they aren't rampaging douchebags.

I'm fine with him being an *******, I'm fine (insofar as I engage with anything in MHA) with his glacial character development but it really bugs me that the narrative seems to run on the principle of; "Bakugou is an ******* and everyone else is just fine with it. No one really challenges him on it, no one puts pressure on him to change, the greatest hero in the world sees him as a worthy rival to his protégé so it's fine, shut up, it's fine,"

Like, have ******* characters but at least do me the courtesy of explaining why their behaviour is tolerated or have some goddamn consequence.

Not sure why Mineta's still there though.
    I mentally replaced him with a cinderblock covered in glue in my mind years ago lost nothing from doing so.

There's no "for what it's worth," when that's literally the bare minimum standard for being in UA. Pretty much every other student does all that and they aren't rampaging douchebags.

I'm fine with him being an *******, I'm fine (insofar as I engage with anything in MHA) with his glacial character development but it really bugs me that the narrative seems to run on the principle of; "Bakugou is an ******* and everyone else is just fine with it. No one really challenges him on it, no one puts pressure on him to change, the greatest hero in the world sees him as a worthy rival to his protégé so it's fine, shut up, it's fine,"

Like, have ******* characters but at least do me the courtesy of explaining why their behaviour is tolerated or have some goddamn consequence.
    Fair enough! Good points!

I mentally replaced him with a cinderblock covered in glue in my mind years ago lost nothing from doing so.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

This wins the award for 'Best Line Read On Rumbles' for this month, at the least.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    What?

So you think that Bakugou continued existence hinges entirely on his popularity? That his presence and screentime overshadows side character only because he's popular. And that it doesn't have anything to do with Horikoshi intending for him all along to be one of the main characters and a narrative counterpart to Deku's own journey? Really?

It's not Bakugou's popularity that influences Horikoshi's writing of him. It's Horikoshi's writing that makes Bakugou popular.

I mean, I personally have my issues with the character. But your reasoning is just kinda weird.

Also, Deku has plenty of character development of his own (better than Bakugou's if you ask me) and the two of them shared the focus of the second movie.
    Not to mention that the accusation of Horikoshi favoritism is reaching because he's on record for stating that he doesn't quite understand why Bakugou is so popular because he wrote him to be "an incredibly unpleasant person" and expected people to hate him. That is not the expectation of an author's pet. Hell, he more recently stated that Deku and Bakugou's relationship isn't going to be any kind of friendship until Bakugo fully apologises to Deku for his ****.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

You'd think Aizawa, Mr. "This is serious and I won't have you fucking around" would do something to try and curb Bakugou's personality, because I'm pretty sure that being a raging ******* who has shown himself to be the opposite of a team player, what with his actively antagonizing everyone around him and ignoring teammates in favor of going his own way even if that is the worst possible plan is the polar opposite of what Aizawa sees as being essential in heroism.

Hell, the closest thing Bakugou got was not immediately getting his provisional hero license, and that was barely touched on beyond a single scene of him in remedial classes that mostly served as comedy between Camie and a little girl who was infatuated with Shoto, and a glacial bit of character development for Bakugou.

The cinderblock covered in glue would be an upgrade from Mineta, because you could use the cinderblock as bludgeoning weapon (which is at least a 60-70% increase in combat compared to Mineta) and it wouldn't regularly commit sexual harassment or assault on any attractive female in the general area regardless of the situation. And if you don't agree because of the fact Mineta can launch glue balls to potentially ensnare/entrap opponents, you could put a little turret on the cinderblock that shoots globs of glue to create traps. BOOM! Better Mineta.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Ikari145 View Post
    Not to mention that the accusation of Horikoshi favoritism is reaching because he's on record for stating that he doesn't quite understand why Bakugou is so popular because he wrote him to be "an incredibly unpleasant person" and expected people to hate him. That is not the expectation of an author's pet. Hell, he more recently stated that Deku and Bakugou's relationship isn't going to be any kind of friendship until Bakugo fully apologises to Deku for his ****.
    Really about the friendship thing? Because unless I'm severely misreading the manga, then everyone, including Izuku himself, considers them to be friends.
    Last edited by The Dog; 11-26-2020 at 02:32 PM.
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Dog View Post

The cinderblock covered in glue would be an upgrade from Mineta, because you could use the cinderblock as bludgeoning weapon (which is at least a 60-70% increase in combat compared to Mineta) and it wouldn't regularly commit sexual harassment or assault on any attractive female in the general area regardless of the situation. And if you don't agree because of the fact Mineta can launch glue balls to potentially ensnare/entrap opponents, you could put a little turret on the cinderblock that shoots globs of glue to create traps. BOOM! Better Mineta.
    Is it wrong that I still believe there may be hope for Mineta and that the aftermath of this war arc may lead to positive changes to his character?

Really about the friendship thing? Because unless I'm severely misreading the manga, then everyone, including Izuku himself, considers them to be friends.
    Here's a link to the translation of an interview he had after Heroes Rising.
    Ichigo: What even *are* you?!

Kenpachi: Some say my mother was a train. Some say that I'm a rejected Godzilla monster too strong for the series canon. But everyone says: I'M THE KEEEEENPACHIIIIII!!!!

Astonishing Member

can MCU!Mantis depowering ATT!Raven with former's powers?
    whatever Scientists tells us what they believes are the only things that exists in Reality(our world), they treats what US government and mainstream news media said about things like 9/11, CO2 Emissions, and so on as their gospel

https://lnk.bio/Masonicon

calling Real Life Martial Artists that can break walls "Comic Book Peak Human" is like calling Pre-new52!Cassandra Cain "Shounen Manga character"

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I mean, being an absolute ******* didn't seem to be considered a very big negative in Hero Society, considering that no one seemed to look into whether Endeavor acted around his family the same way that he acted around everyone else, and with the exception of Deku, he tends to limit his behavior around everyone else to just screaming profanity and general grousing, which a bunch of kids who are training to deal with super villains trying to murder them send to find mostly fun to talk back to. And he seems to have graduated to full on tsundere bromance with Kaminari and Kirashima (with even Izuku noting that he would accept help from Kirishima with little hesitation, which is not something he could even begin to do towards Izuku at the time).

And in Mineta's defense, it is more entertaining to watch him get traumatized than it would be to do the same to a cinderblock. I'm hoping that Mt. Lady somehow forces him to become her sidekick.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 11-27-2020 at 09:00 AM.