Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bloodlines is disappointing. By no means was the 2009 movie perfect, but I think if you just compare what each movie brought to its respective landscape, 2009 was a bit of fresh air where there just wasn't much to celebrate outside of comics. Bloodlines came in an era where there were a lot of JL animated movies, and of course the Gal Gadot movie, and didn't really seem to break any new ground, or at least not in a markedly impressive way.

Specific complaints I had include things like the opening scene of the movie, which seemed like a completely unnecessary rehash of the WW origin story. These movies are already a bit on the short side, why spent budget (movie time, production time, money) to retell something most viewers already knew? It was nice to see classic villains, but there's no great payoff to seeing characters like Cheetah or Giganta because their importance was negligible. The post-credits scene also seemed tacky. It would've been much better to incorporate the reveal of Veronica Cale as the real villain within the movie's actual narrative instead of making it a "By the way" moment after the movie climax. Seemed like they put too much effort into making a punchy post-credit scenes, to the detriment of the main movie.

It's not the worst movie in the line that began in 2007. It's probably not the worst post-Flashpoint up to Apokolips War. But it's just not all that satisfying for what it tried to accomplish in mixing in a lot of WW's history. The 2009 film definitely works better as one cohesive story.

One thing I'll give Bloodlines is I felt like they had a good, well-rounded, depiction of Wonder Woman in showing her as a capable Superhero who was compassionate, clever, and emphatic when she needed to be and reserved the use of the sword for a major threat that actually warranted it instead of just swinging it around (and she still tried to talk Medusa down before fighting her).
    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Bloodlines is disappointing. By no means was the 2009 movie perfect, but I think if you just compare what each movie brought to its respective landscape, 2009 was a bit of fresh air where there just wasn't much to celebrate outside of comics. Bloodlines came in an era where there were a lot of JL animated movies, and of course the Gal Gadot movie, and didn't really seem to break any new ground, or at least not in a markedly impressive way.

Specific complaints I had include things like the opening scene of the movie, which seemed like a completely unnecessary rehash of the WW origin story. These movies are already a bit on the short side, why spent budget (movie time, production time, money) to retell something most viewers already knew? It was nice to see classic villains, but there's no great payoff to seeing characters like Cheetah or Giganta because their importance was negligible. The post-credits scene also seemed tacky. It would've been much better to incorporate the reveal of Veronica Cale as the real villain within the movie's actual narrative instead of making it a "By the way" moment after the movie climax. Seemed like they put too much effort into making a punchy post-credit scenes, to the detriment of the main movie.

It's not the worst movie in the line that began in 2007. It's probably not the worst post-Flashpoint up to Apokolips War. But it's just not all that satisfying for what it tried to accomplish in mixing in a lot of WW's history. The 2009 film definitely works better as one cohesive story.
    Maybe more narratively cohesive but I think certain characters are handled better in Bloodlines (and that opinion seems shared) and I think showing off Diana's Rogues Gallery is commendable in and of itself even if they weren't used as effectively as they could have.

I think rehashing the origin kind of threw off the pacing but was also somewhat necessary from a character standpoint in terms of showing the building up of all the emotional conflicts in the movie.

Quality is better than quantity so I picked the 2009 movie.