Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Vision neglected his first set of children, denied their existence, created a whole new family instead of trying to form some semblance of relationship with the two kids he already had out there.
    His first two kids died. He didn't neglect them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I think all the heavy hitters are already taken at this point

How is Quicksilver as a father? Is he negligent or caring?

Johnny Storm probably stinks as a father cause he goes through a lot of one and dones, one of his one night stands killed her pregnant self right in front of the F4..
    Wait, when was this?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think we got a flashback to that in Jeff Lemire's run.
    It was during Fraction's. It was used or implied in two issues there: one drawn by Francavilla and another by Aja.

Lemire wrote about him in the carnival, iirc.
    But I think the first mentions to an abusive parental caring was in the early 90s. Not his actual parents, but foster houses. I may be wrong, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    It was during Fraction's. It was used or implied in two issues there: one drawn by Francavilla and another by Aja.

Lemire wrote about him in the carnival, iirc.
    But I think the first mentions to an abusive parental caring was in the early 90s. Not his actual parents, but foster houses. I may be wrong, though.
    Clint growing up in the circus with Barney and being trained by the Swordsman has got to be from early Avengers issues, probably the first appearances of both characters back in the 60s.

In Solo Avengers #2, in 1988, it was added that Harold Barton was an alcoholic, abusive, and that he and Edith died when he was driving drunk and got into an accident. There, Clint says that he and Barney lived in an orphanage until they ran away to the circus.

In Fraction and Aja's Hawkeye run (2012-2015), there was a new detail added, that Harold's abuse temporarily deafened Clint (and then apparently his hearing was healed until his mini with Mockingbird in 1983 when he used the sonic arrow to prevent Crossfire from mind controlling him through sound).

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    I never liked Quicksilver as a character, felt bad for poor Crystal for loving that guy. From Johnny to Pietro she made a couple of bad decisions when it comes to love.
    Johnny legit got put into single-only jail with Peter.
    Pietro and Crystal was outta nowhere but it worked. Crystal cheating on him with a flatscan was some super horsecrap.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    His first two kids died. He didn't neglect them.
    Their's a panel of him telling them to their faces their not real it was when he was all white and unemotional and **** but it exists, and after their ressurection he replaced them with Viv and Vin and is/was more invested in those 2 moreover, than he ever was with Tommy and Billy.

To be fair. Vision's original kids were "killed" by Pandemonium and got reincarnated as someone's else sons so it was outta his hands at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Wait, when was this?
    Someone talked about that story in FF Appreciation thread. Some villain got one of Johnny's one-night stands pregnant with his kid. Then she realised a bunch of FF villains would come after the kid so she disappeared into the time stream with Reed's time machine.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 10-27-2020 at 05:47 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

Norman Osborn and Brian Banner have been mentioned but I would also like to throw Winston Frost, father of Emma Frost, into the ring.

Winston is an abusive control freak who set extremely high standards for his children while giving them no positive reinforcement. When Emma expressed interest in becoming a teacher, Winston forbade it and threatened to leak a tape of Emma kissing her teacher to make her comply. When his son Christopher is revealed to be gay, Winston freezes his assets and locks him out of the house he bought to force him to come home. When Christian instead moves in with his boyfriend, Winston frames said boyfriend for drug possession resulting in him being deported. This causes Christian to fall into depression and attempt suicide for which Winston has no sympathy.

Most of the heroes have bad daddies but Victor "I'll launch your house into space" von Doom had a nice dad.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Most of the heroes have bad daddies but Victor "I'll launch your house into space" von Doom had a nice dad.
    Ironic given what an ******* Victor himself is.

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    From a hero standpoint, Matt Murdock may be of the few whose father, Jack Murdock, was a positive influence and a decent person. Not to say that he wasn't flawed; however, he genuinely wanted his son to be a better person and have a better life than him. Also, I choose to ignore the Miller retcon that Jack hit Matt (as have most writers since).

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    From a hero standpoint, Matt Murdock may be of the few whose father, Jack Murdock, was a positive influence and a decent person. Not to say that he wasn't flawed; however, he genuinely wanted his son to be a better person and have a better life than him. Also, I choose to ignore the Miller retcon that Jack hit Matt (as have most writers since).
    I love Jack Murdock very practical dad. In the current run i love the panels of him dropping off a young Matt at their parish and having the Pastor have a word with his son after Matt beat some kid for bullying other kids while he goes to fight for a living lol. He knew he had no leg to stand on telling his kid fighting is bad.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by macjr33 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofali View Post
    I love Jack Murdock very practical dad. In the current run i love the panels of him dropping off a young Matt at their parish and having the Pastor have a word with his son after Matt beat some kid for bullying other kids while he goes to fight for a living lol. He knew he had no leg to stand on telling his kid fighting is bad.
    Funny enough, it seems parental dysfunction is extremely common in superhero and supervillain origins and backstories, assuming those same parents aren't long dead. At least Spider-Man had (Uncle) Ben Parker (R.I.P.) as a positive father figure.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Funny enough, it seems parental dysfunction is extremely common in superhero and supervillain origins and backstories, assuming those same parents aren't long dead. At least Spider-Man had (Uncle) Ben Parker (R.I.P.) as a positive father figure.
    It happens so often that it sounds like Marvel is saying someone can't be a decent person without having a life with so much suffering lol.

Plus cheap points to make someone look more likeable, even when the character absolutely doesn't deserve it, like Otto.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    It happens so often that it sounds like Marvel is saying someone can't be a decent person without having a life with so much suffering lol.

Plus cheap points to make someone look more likeable, even when the character absolutely doesn't deserve it, like Otto.
    I guess there's something to be said about karma or something...or life balancing out.