Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Default Who Owns ACE Chemicals?

So... I was rereading Detective Comics #27 and it led to the vat of acid which reminds me of ACE and its recurring role as one of Gotham City iconic place...

Considering how many times it's been used for criminal operations, usually Joker or Scarecrow, not to mention the pollution, they always drop their waste to the Gotham river, it's a wonder that Bruce hasn't bought the building and bulldoze it yet.

That makes me wonder, who owns Ace Chemicals? Is it still in operation? In Arkham Knight yes, but in comics it seems abandoned.

Apparently in DCU Online it used to be Kane Chemicals, I don't know if it's the case in the comics, until someone buy it and turn it to ACE. Who?

There are a lot of rich people in Gotham besides The Waynes though. The Powers, any unnamed member of The Court, The Penguin, The Organized Crime Families... One or more of them should be rich, evil, or uncaring enough to prevent Bruce buying it and make a better Gotham... or maybe he just hasn't got to it yet since there's way too many problems in Gotham

(While I'm at it, Joker's other recurring base, Amusement Mile, was bought by Dick Grayson in New 52 with all his savings, but after Death of The Family it's been abandoned again)

Incredible Member

In Morrison's run, the Kane family purchased ACE shortly after the Wayne murders at the behest of Dr. Hurt. ACE later bought out Apex Chemicals as well, the original supplier of Dr. Death. (I think they were setting up some grand mystery tying into the idea of Hurt being behind the rise of all Batman's villains, but it's ultimately left up to the imagination.)

In The New 52, Philip Kane merged his family's companies with Wayne Industries, which would make Bruce the owner of ACE, but in Zero Year this appears not to be the case as we see Bruce make an impassioned speech against the factory. So I don't know.

In The Man Who Laughs I think they say the plant is close to being shut down, but in other comics it's like it's been operating ever since. Batman 451, Under the Red Hood, and Darkseid War/Three Jokers off the top of my head.
    Last edited by PurpleGlovez; 10-26-2020 at 09:52 PM.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGlovez View Post
    In Morrison's run, the Kane family purchased ACE shortly after the Wayne murders at the behest of Dr. Hurt. ACE later bought out Apex Chemicals as well, the original supplier of Dr. Death. (I think they were setting up some grand mystery tying into the idea of Hurt being behind the rise of all Batman's villains, but it's ultimately left up to the imagination.)

In The New 52, Philip Kane merged his family's companies with Wayne Industries, which would make Bruce the owner of ACE, but in Zero Year this appears not to be the case as we see Bruce make an impassioned speech against the factory. So I don't know.

In The Man Who Laughs I think they say the plant is close to being shut down, but in other comics it's like it's been operating ever since. Batman 451, Under the Red Hood, and Darkseid War/Three Jokers off the top of my head.
    Apex is also The Chemical Syndicate's company so yeah it does sound like they're gathering the first villains

I need to reread Zero Year again, but as far as I remember the speech he made was the first time Bruce accepted his role as Wayne Enterprises inheritor

The name says it all;

You know it wouldn't surprise me if they just revealed that Ace chemicals is still somehow operational because the Joker makes it so, like he keeps threatening people who want to have it demolished, he keeps paying to have it rebuilt, and he pays them to stay financially stable. All just so he can maintain a shrine to his first encounter with Batman or have access to a steady stream of chemicals, one of those two.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.