Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default If Ryan Wilder becomes Batwoman in the comics, what will/should happen to Kate?

The TV show is going to replace Kate with a new character not in the comics named Ryan Wilder. Check out this link for more info:

https://www.gamesradar.com/batwoman-...d4r--X33GqtlGg

Given the penchant for synergy between live action and comics, it’s a real possibility that Ryan will appear in the comics before long. If this happens, and she takes over as Batwoman, what do you think will happen to Kate? What would you want to happen?
    Last edited by Twice-named; 06-08-2020 at 04:47 PM.

Nothing. Even if the show goes through with it I doubt in the long-run "Ryan Wilder" is going to matter much to Batwoman.

Mighty Member

No way DC makes a change before they see if Wilder catches on and becomes popular (I have my doubts, but that's irrelevant). If the show fizzles with the reboot, Kate stays. Now, if they cast well and make the story work and all the fans stick around, then yes, maybe we get a new Batwoman, but I'll note that Sara Lance has never become a comic character, the Legends don't exist (and Zari/Isis isn't showing up anywhere), Ra's al Ghul and his daughters didn't become Green Arrow villains, etc., etc.

However, if they need to give Kate something else to do, whatever agency is left after the Leviathan stuff is all over would be lucky to have Kate Kane running it (or be their lead operative).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    No way DC makes a change before they see if Wilder catches on and becomes popular (I have my doubts, but that's irrelevant). If the show fizzles with the reboot, Kate stays. Now, if they cast well and make the story work and all the fans stick around, then yes, maybe we get a new Batwoman, but I'll note that Sara Lance has never become a comic character, the Legends don't exist (and Zari/Isis isn't showing up anywhere), Ra's al Ghul and his daughters didn't become Green Arrow villains, etc., etc.

However, if they need to give Kate something else to do, whatever agency is left after the Leviathan stuff is all over would be lucky to have Kate Kane running it (or be their lead operative).
    Even Joshua Williamson was told not to bring in Harrison Wells for his Flash run and it took a while before anyone from the TV show ended up appearing in the comic.

We've already seen how incensed everyone rightly is over the show replacing Kate. I'd be shocked if DC even considers making a Prime Earth version of Ryan now.

Why, though? Why would she run it? How would she even get associated with them at all?
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Sara Lance has never become a comic character
    Do you think it makes a difference that, whereas Sara Lance is one of many characters and the show is called Legends of Tomorrow as opposed to White Canary, Ryan will be Batwoman in Batwoman?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    We've already seen how incensed everyone rightly is over the show replacing Kate. I'd be shocked if DC even considers making a Prime Earth version of Ryan now.
    I agree completely.
    Why, though? Why would she run it? How would she even get associated with them at all?
    I decided to actually engage with the OP's question - if Kate got bumped out of the cowl, where would I put her? Intelligence Agency! How and why? Through her dad?

How'd Sasha Bordeaux end up in Checkmate? How did Dick end up in Spyral? Or Katherine Kane? It's not hard to contrive a reason - after all the Leviathan stuff winds down, "we want to clean house and bring in someone the superhero and intel communities will both trust - she's former military, she's Batman adjacent, done." Maybe not leading, but lead field agent or something. Think of a book like Grayson or Checkmate. I don't think they'll do it, but it'd be interesting. They're certainly not doing anything interesting with Kate now, sadly

Quote Originally Posted by Twice-named View Post
    Do you think it makes a difference that, whereas Sara Lance is one of many characters and the show is called Legends of Tomorrow as opposed to White Canary, Ryan will be Batwoman in Batwoman?
    Honestly, no. I think that corporate synergy is only about what happens on the big screen. Maybe a million people watch Batwoman live, maybe a million more on demand, via app, etc (just a guess). It's much more likely that something from the BoP movie influences the floppies than the CW show.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Retired

It's standard practice when putting out casting calls to give a fake name to the character being cast. "Ryan Wilder" is such a fake name that I am almost 100% certain that's not the character name. The actual name could be a spoiler--and maybe they are an established D.C. character.

I did a deep dive on Harrison Wells this morning and found out there already was a Dr. Wells. First, on the SUPER FRIENDS cartoon series. And then, in the 1991 THE FLASH TV SPECIAL comic book--he was a villain in a wheelchair. Given the 2014 FLASH series pulled a lot from the 1990 television series, I imagine Harrison Wells might be based on the one-shot comic book character linked to that show.

How'd Sasha Bordeaux end up in Checkmate? How did Dick end up in Spyral? Or Katherine Kane? It's not hard to contrive a reason - after all the Leviathan stuff winds down, "we want to clean house and bring in someone the superhero and intel communities will both trust - she's former military, she's Batman adjacent, done."
    Intel communities have zero reason to trust her though, that's the issue. The only one she ever worked for was because they were blackmailing her, and she took part in getting the head of that organization put into a coma. And her only military service was as a cadet. Why would any intelligence agency want her? And why would Kate want to work with them, given what she went through with the DEO? I can't see a way this makes sense internally without warping things all over the place just to do something "new" or "interesting".

That's not to say there aren't ways this could work, I just have no idea what they could be.
    Last edited by Caivu; 06-08-2020 at 07:48 PM.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'll be honest, if Felicity couldn't come over and oust Black Canary as Ollie's love interest-- and I'll thank any deity responsible that she hasn't-- I don't think Kate is going to get replaced.

The CW shows are their own thing. I don't know that you'll see too much spill over into the main continuity for a while, and not that significant.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Well, they haven't made Patience Phillips Catwoman in comic

If she does appear in the comics, it probably wouldn't take long until she gets killed-off. In all seriousness though, if they did bring her in she'd be my new most-hated-member-of-the-batfamily.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I'll be honest, if Felicity couldn't come over and oust Black Canary as Ollie's love interest-- and I'll thank any deity responsible that she hasn't-- I don't think Kate is going to get replaced.

The CW shows are their own thing. I don't know that you'll see too much spill over into the main continuity for a while, and not that significant.
    This reminds me of when Andrew Kreisberg did a New 52 Green Arrow arc that introduced Felicity only for her to subsequently vanish the moment a new writer took over .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This reminds me of when Andrew Kreisberg did a New 52 Green Arrow arc that introduced Felicity only for her to subsequently vanish the moment a new writer took over .
    Yeah, Kreisberg's work on Green Arrow in comics has not been good. I'm not surprised none of it has been picked up on, and frankly to say Felicity is the poor man's Black Canary is an insult to the financially destitute.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's standard practice when putting out casting calls to give a fake name to the character being cast. "Ryan Wilder" is such a fake name that I am almost 100% certain that's not the character name. The actual name could be a spoiler--and maybe they are an established D.C. character.
    I really hope you are right.

I also hope that 'Ryan Wilder' becomes another heroine and not Batwoman. (TPTB, there must be 5,000 other hero names...choose a good one!)