Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Instead of "Wisdom of Solomon", why not "Intellect of Socrates"?

As much of a traditionalist I am about the mythos of SHAZAM!, I always felt that putting in Solomon as part of the Magical Sextet seemed strange to me, by mixing two cultures. This is on top of the fact that there is already a Hebrew Superhero named Seraph (of the Global Guardians), who also possess "the wisdom of Solomon", though i the form of a ring (he already has "the strength of Samson", "the staff of Moses" and "the mantle of Elijah", etc.). Personally, the only change for Billy Batson is that the emphasis wouldn't be on how mature he was, since there is no longer a wisdom component to his powers, and would, instead, focus more on how smart he is when solving problems.

I don't know. What say you guys: change or keep the same?

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    As much of a traditionalist I am about the mythos of SHAZAM!, I always felt that putting in Solomon as part of the Magical Sextet seemed strange to me, by mixing two cultures. This is on top of the fact that there is already a Hebrew Superhero named Seraph (of the Global Guardians), who also possess "the wisdom of Solomon", though i the form of a ring (he already has "the strength of Samson", "the staff of Moses" and "the mantle of Elijah", etc.). Personally, the only change for Billy Batson is that the emphasis wouldn't be on how mature he was, since there is no longer a wisdom component to his powers, and would, instead, focus more on how smart he is when solving problems.

I don't know. What say you guys: change or keep the same?
    You forget one ket point. "Shazam!" sounds cool. Why change it ?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    The acronym would stay the same, wouldn't it?

Makes sense to me, but I think fans would consider the change arbitrary, particularly since the Rock of Eternity isn't just Greek but more generalized magic.

It’s not a bad substitution, really. The power provided would essentially stay the same, and the acronym remains unchanged. Good call.

I suppose that could work.

I mean sure why not, theoretically he can change the acronym so long as it still spells out Shazam as we saw during Darkseid War.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean sure why not, theoretically he can change the acronym so long as it still spells out Shazam as we saw during Darkseid War.
    The acronym changing is a fun idea that’s been played w. a few times.

Never bothered me, he also uses Greek and Roman names, has Gods, Demi-Gods, and/or Mortal (Achilles) heroes there too.

Figured this was just a kid who was channeling whoever he felt personified those ideals, so that's who shows to power him up!
    Hence Mary often had her own acronym to.

As did Teth Adam

I'd make Freddy Freeman brunet again (and like Elvis part native American) and chanel some Native American Acronym.
    Although a little better than THUNDER -
    Or if still blond Thor looking, some Norse ones too.
    Pedro can bring in Mesoamerica deities and champions.
    Darla African and Caribbean
    And Eugene draw more from an Asian pantheon, heroes, philosophers too, etc...
    Even better just mix them all up, so they all channel whoever they need from across myth, history, and the globe, yet somehow always spell SHAZAM!
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-06-2020 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    The acronym changing is a fun idea that’s been played w. a few times.
    oh really, where else because Darkseid War is the first time I have seen Billy do that. I assume Black Adam has a similar thing because he changed his spell pre-flashpoint.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    Never bothered me, he also uses Greek and Roman names, has Gods, Demi-Gods, and/or Mortal (Achilles) heroes there too.

Figured this was just a kid who was channeling whoever he felt personified those ideals, so that's who shows to power him up!...
    I see it similarly to you. My head-canon was that there aren't actually any deities involved, the Wizard just gave people models they could get their heads around to shape the power the Wizard bestowed. Subsequent interest by the gods was nothing more than meddling with a mortal aping their abilities.

'cause Socrates is a li'l b*tch, that's why.

No in all honesty, I don't think Socrates is a good move here. He's mostly known for just tearing everything down, right? Not on board with that. Solomon by contrast is mostly known for sleeping around and threatening to chop kids in half.

... maybe all these guys suck.
    Last edited by Adekis; 11-06-2020 at 07:08 AM.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Socrates is awesome, whachu talkin’ ‘bout?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I'd be open to it. It fits better with the other Greek figures, though maybe there is something to be said about having a tether to the Judeo-Christian tradition? But maybe not.

One counter-argument is that wisdom appeals more to me as a value; it's knowing how and when to make the right decision, being able to look ahead, etc. Intellect or knowledge is a bit more calculating and material, which is something I'd ascribe more to Superman. But that's probably splitting hairs; I think we can all agree it would be nice if we saw Shazam show off his wisdom/intellect more often.

Extraordinary Member

Nope. Socrates wasn't all that wise or smart, or he never would have stopped at that Starbucks in Athens and ordered that cup of tea. intelligent would have been, "No thank you, I'd just like a grande mocha latte, please". Besides, I hate changing things that don't need to be changed; Solomon has associated with wisdom forever.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    It wouldn't really change. And Socrates over Solomon is a brilliant twist that might actually play better to the encyclopedic access dynamic that writers like Johns have famously used the trait.