Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Legion of Super-Heroes issue #10 preview/Spoiler discussion

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

This issue was outstanding. A near perfect juggling act of multiple character and new and old plot lines.

It read like an anthology shown on like HBO or something. Like Game of Thrones. And that's maybe the perfect way to write Legion now that I think about it. I image issues 8 and 9 kind of helped Bendis get more into the mood of bouncing around like that, and making the most of 1 or 2 pages per character and storyline while working towards a greater story.

Jon and Saturn Girl are awesome. I continue to absolutely love Mon-El's. The twist with Zod (I'm guessing maybe Lor-Zod, in which case, wow, Bendis low-key worked in a version of "Chris" into the Kent family after all!). New Krypton has a very Karakoa-ish vibe to it with its melting pot of Superman iconography (down to even a Doomsday(!) being part of the family). Can't wait to learn more about all of this.

Man, Rogol Zaar looks waaaaaaay Better now. Full on Darth Vader with a more simplified look works for him. After all this time, I still hope he's Jor-El's other son (lol) to make this a true family thing.

Jon and Saturn girl is probably the second most pointless thing Bendis has done to Jon right after the age up itself 4 what they have no chemistry, neither of them has personality or charisma of any kind 2 blah characters in a blah forced pairing done for shock value and giggles.

Everything in my being wants to believe that the redheaded New Kryptonian on the far right of the page who seems to be of House Zod is an Olsen!

Astonishing Member

I agree Jon and Saturn Girl is a waste, I don't mind them on paper, but since I don't know the future fate of this book, I now find it unnecessary. If the book is not cancelled, and Jon had to paired up with someone, I would have preferred someone less high profile for his his first girlfriend.

Man! I wish we spent more time in New Krypton. A book with such a massive cast, Bendis is doing his best to balance it all out but he sure makes it hard for a reader. One minute he pulls you in with Ultra Boy and before you can settle in with the family drama, he throws into Mon-El drama and there's not enough of that before it's some other Legionnaire. It's frustrating but in a good sort of way. I did find it peculiar that Mon-El, who's revealed to be Zod's grandson has named all three of his children after the people connected directly to Kal-El, now I really want all of his family relations to both houses explained because so far it seems one sided.

Rogal Zaar DOES look better here, I just hope his reintroduction doesn't spell actual doom for New Krypton. For a second there I thought how strange for Zod (who didn't appear to have the "Zod" insignia on his shield) to be eager to see Jon but as @Superlad93 posted, maybe this is Lor-Zod not his father. It would explain his "off" character.

I particular enjoyed the Brainiac and Ayla exchange, I wish we'd see more of her. Having never read LoSH before this version, I'm sure this was more previous in previous versions but I like how distinct Bendis has made the legionnaires from one another. There's not a lot a panel time for many of them but it's a great effort on his part and he's made me love some of these characters already.

Something I picked up...did Bendis make a mistake, In #8 Phantom Girl and Mon-El were coupling but in this issue, he wrote that it was Shadow Lass (who I thought was with Cosmic Boy)?
    Last edited by rpmaluki; 10-27-2020 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I did find it peculiar that Mon-El, who's revealed to be Zod's grandson has named all three of his children after the people connected directly to Kal-El, now I really want all of his family relations to both houses explained because so far it seems one sided.
    Yeah I think it's Lor-Zod. He mentions that he hasn't seen Jon in nearly 1000 years (meaning long lived Kryptonians are still a thing). And since Jon is also Mon's great grandfather, Jon and Lor's kids likely got married and joined their Houses. This was actually hinted at happened early on in Bendis' Superman run when Zod had a dream of a New Krypton founded by the union of House El and Zod, and Ursa even says "you mean to marry our house to them?" The dream even has Rogol Zaar and the Legion in. And my guess is that it's so one sided because at the end of the day the Kents/Els are likely Krypton's most famous an beloved family, so even Lor likely wants to pay tribute to that side of his family and all its done for everyone.

So, in a really clever way Bendis reintroduces "Chris Kent" into the Kent/El family

Something I picked up...did Bendis make a mistake, In #8 Phantom Girl and Mon-El were coupling but in this issue, he wrote that it was Shadow Lass (who I thought was with Cosmic Boy)?
    Yeah, I did catch that! It's hard to say, on the one hand Phantom Girl was clearly established as dating Mon-El till the end of 8, but historically Shadow Lass has dated him in pervious versions, and he does seem jealous when he finds out that her and Rokk were a thing. So he could've dated her before Rokk (that seems like a fairly recent thing)? In general, Mon seems to "get around", if you catch my drift. He's obviously got kids, and based on a group shot where Dream Girl is all over him, he may have had a thing with her too.

Then again, it could just be a brain fart on Bendis part where he made a mistake and defaulted to classic lore for a moment lol

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Yeah I think it's Lor-Zod. He mentions that he hasn't seen Jon in nearly 1000 years (meaning long lived Kryptonians are still a thing). And since Jon is also Mon's great grandfather, Jon and Lor's kids likely got married and joined their Houses. This was actually hinted at happened early on in Bendis' Superman run when Zod had a dream of a New Krypton founded by the union of House El and Zod, and Ursa even says "you mean to marry our house to them?" The dream even has Rogol Zaar and the Legion in. And my guess is that it's so one sided because at the end of the day the Kents/Els are likely Krypton's most famous an beloved family, so even Lor likely wants to pay tribute to that side of his family and all its done for everyone.

So, in a really clever way Bendis reintroduces "Chris Kent" into the Kent/El family

Yeah, I did catch that! It's hard to say, on the one hand Phantom Girl was clearly established as dating Mon-El till the end of 8, but historically Shadow Lass has dated him in pervious versions, and he does seem jealous when he finds out that her and Rokk were a thing. So he could've dated her before Rokk (that seems like a fairly recent thing)? In general, Mon seems to "get around", if you catch my drift. He's obviously got kids, and based on a group shot where Dream Girl is all over him, he may have had a thing with her too.

Then again, it could just be a brain fart on Bendis part where he made a mistake and defaulted to classic lore for a moment lol
    Was this in Bendis' Legion because I don't seem to recall.

Regarding the Els being more revered on NK, it makes sense I guess. Zods aren't completely neglected I guess, since there's the red-headed guy with the "Zod" shield. It doesn't explain why Lor-Zod doesn't have it though.

I loved it.

I'm very curious about Gold Lantern and I'm glad we got a few more details about him.

Apparently this take on the Legion never considered what to do with a leader who had a conflict of interest. Its funny and feels like a believable oversight.

New Krypton was cool but I'm hoping we could get a move on with the Mon-el stuff.

Jon and Saturn girl are a nice bit of fluff.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I loved it.

I'm very curious about Gold Lantern and I'm glad we got a few more details about him.

Apparently this take on the Legion never considered what to do with a leader who had a conflict of interest. Its funny and feels like a believable oversight.

New Krypton was cool but I'm hoping we could get a move on with the Mon-el stuff.

Jon and Saturn girl are a nice bit of fluff.
    I love that Bendis threw that in there, I feel bad for Jo Nah.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Was this in Bendis' Legion because I don't seem to recall.
    Yup! It was the group mem the team took in issue 2 of Legion Millennium. Over to the far left you can see Mon with Dream Girl literally draped over him looking might comfy.

Regarding the Els being more revered on NK, it makes sense I guess. Zods aren't completely neglected I guess, since there's the red-headed guy with the "Zod" shield. It doesn't explain why Lor-Zod doesn't have it though.
    Well, from what I understand, Lor-Zod is Krypton's leader, and has been for 1000 years, so they're quite respected. And Mon's daughter Laraz does have a Z in her name, so she's likely named in homage to both El and Zod (Lara pus Z)? And it's possible that Lor has looked up to Jon ever since he watched him found the United Planets and allow New Krypton to even be? Lor was around 10 or 13 when that happened while Jon was 17.

As far as what crest Lor is wearing? Not really sure. Doesn't seem to be either El nor Zod. Maybe it's a mix, or even a totally new one that represents his role as the leader of the planet? Whatever the case, I like that there's so much thought that's gone into everything in this books, and specifically New Krypton.

I haven't been able to read it yet, but did Bendis kept the twin Suns of New Krypton, and the violet natives ?

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I haven't been able to read it yet, but did Bendis kept the twin Suns of New Krypton, and the violet natives ?
    You're actually thinking of Zod's first New Krypton that Jurgens created. In Superman, Bendis established that the new UP gave House Zod a new outpost to officially be recognized as New Krypton, and that didn't seem to have twin suns. Zod likely gave the old planet back to the natives in peace after.

Probably best not to build a legit New Krypton that the Kents/Els support overtop of the literal colonization of an indigenous people
    Last edited by Superlad93; 10-27-2020 at 07:19 AM.

Astonishing Member

I didn't read Millennium, so that explains that.

Yeah, I'm glad they didn't usurp a planet from its indigenous people, that's not a great look. Where else can I read about this current New Krypton, i know there was an issue, or two in the Batman/Superman, any specific issues?

Well, there's really just issues 5, 9 (Zod and Clark's visions of possible futures), and 17 (Clark and Kara visit House Zod as they build New Krypton) of Superman so far. Batman/Superman didn't really have too much to do with New Krypton itself.

I really want to get to know New Krypton in a similar way to how much I want to get to know Krakoa. There's a very similar "melting pot of iconography" feel to it. Old foes now even become friends and family. Noticed that the Els now have a Doomsday in the family. And it's just an overall beautiful utopian feel.