Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Young Justice #20 Discussion/Spoilers

"What is Young Justice?". That's the question that Brian Bendis has been trying to answer since issue 1 and quite frankly, he has failed miserably in every single attempt.

... Or at least the times he tried to give an actual answer because good GOD, this story dragged for so long that the actual point was lost really quickly.

Take for example this final issue that should be a celebration of all what Young Justice represents and it kinda does by revisiting the first headquarters they had along with Red Tornado appropriately enough but things get quickly derailed because apparently Bendis remembered that he barely did anything with Teen Lantern so she needs to get the focus and this is all so abrupt that is laughable but what makes it hysterical is that at one point she says "I earned this ring" and I was like: "How? You barely did anything!".

And that's all there is. A lame fight scene, a dull reason to try to justify Teen Lantern as part of the team and a cheap "charming" scene of all of them having a good time. This of course doesn't come much of a surprise considering the constant underwhelming resolutions this series had like Conner's return, Bart's return, Cassie's conflict with Zeus which need to remind you was a plot-point that was teased way back in issue 1 only to have a quick and unsatisfying closure during last chapter. It seems like Bendis was just backing this series in pure nostalgia instead of having an actual good story to tell.

But what makes it worse for me is that he didn't even bring back Slobo! For all the Young Justice fanwankery, you would think that Bendis would at least try to revive one of the characters who had the worst ending during the last series but I guess his pet characters were more important.

Scott Godlewski's semi-cartoony style follows the story as best as possible though.

What as waste of time, patience and paper. This series deserved better, this team deserved better.

Did Bendis just send the team back to 1998? The only difference is the roster!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I admit I was really hyped for this run but it fell prey to all the issues I was afraid of when it came to Bendis writing a team book.

Was it nice to have these characters back, looking more recognizable, and back together? Yeah. Was it fun? Sometimes, yeah. But I just wish there had been more substance .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I admit I was really hyped for this run but it fell prey to all the issues I was afraid of when it came to Bendis writing a team book.

Was it nice to have these characters back, looking more recognizable, and back together? Yeah. Was it fun? Sometimes, yeah. But I just wish there had been more substance .
    Pretty much my feelings about this book, is not Bendis worst, but is not anything remarkable.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

This felt underwhelming. There was so much potential to this book, but the pacing was glacial.

This was so bland, so nothing, amd with my favorite characters. It wasn't terrible in any real way, just nothing solid to get excited about, just air.
    So sad, and I hope a better writer and a better artist, yes all the artist on this book made it jsut as bland as bendis did, hopefully we get these characters again soon

Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    This was so bland, so nothing, amd with my favorite characters. It wasn't terrible in any real way, just nothing solid to get excited about, just air.
    So sad, and I hope a better writer and a better artist, yes all the artist on this book made it jsut as bland as bendis did, hopefully we get these characters again soon
    Artistically I don't think this book looked as good as when Gleason was drawing it.

Incredible Member

Despite my misgivings about Bendis, I enjoyed the start of his run on Young Justice. His writing style fits more with jokey teenagers than with adult superheroes.
    The series gradually became worse and I only stuck with it because I enjoyed the original Young Justice series.
    This issue tries to wrap itself with the original Young Justice nostalgia, but it only serves to show how bad the series has become. The overlapping dialogue was very exhausting to read.

This title was far from a favorite but I'll miss it. Or more specifically, I'll miss seeing the characters/team.

Quote Originally Posted by JLH View Post
    This title was far from a favorite but I'll miss it. Or more specifically, I'll miss seeing the characters/team.
    I will say I hope it's not long before we see this team again in an ongoing.

Ultimate Member

Bart was by the numbers, Tim and Cassie barely felt relevant, and Conner, IMO, was all wrong.

Had this story been about Teen Lantern, Jinny Hex, Naomi, Amethyst and the Wonder Twins (and maybe one other dude, like Jackson Hyde), I think it would have been way less cluttered, and felt less out-of-character and inconsistent, to me. Bendis could have written these newer characters with his signature talking-over-each-other interrupted sentence-fragment ADD rapid-fire dialogue, and not had to juggle these established characters he's got no real feel for the voices of.

Well this series reinforced my beliefs that Tim's genratiin is a lost cause. And sure, Bendis is to blame for the way the series was but... I found the new characters far more interesting than the old ones and they were never allowed time to shine. Instead of focusing on Tim, Bart, Kon and Cassie, Teen Lantern, Hex and possibly Naomi or another det of characters should have been the focus.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Well this series reinforced my beliefs that Tim's genratiin is a lost cause. And sure, Bendis is to blame for the way the series was but... I found the new characters far more interesting than the old ones and they were never allowed time to shine. Instead of focusing on Tim, Bart, Kon and Cassie, Teen Lantern, Hex and possibly Naomi or another det of characters should have been the focus.
    A lost cause, why? Please stop mixing your tastes with absolute assertions.
    You can say that you don't like them but you can't absolutely affirm that.
    Following your way I could safely tell that actual teen titans are a lost cause.
    Tim, Kon, Bart and Cassie have nothing to prove to you or anyone else, they are great and beloved characters. The only thing they need is good writing, nothing else as every character does.

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    A lost cause, why? Please stop mixing your tastes with absolute assertions.
    You can say that you don't like them but you can't absolutely affirm that.
    Following your way I could safely tell that actual teen titans are a lost cause.
    Tim, Kon, Bart and Cassie have nothing to prove to you or anyone else, they are great and beloved characters. The only thing they need is good writing, nothing else as every character does.
    Damn, the forum ate my answer... And I'm too lazy to type everything again... but I'll just say that the YJ4 still needs to prove that they are relevant today; which, considering Tim's utter inability to ever move from the Robin identity and he is the most prevalent of the bunch, it's not really a great start...

Incredible Member

Bendis definitely failed to make Teen Lantern a convincing character through this run.
    Also it's such a big surprise that John Stewart just let go of her and almost accepted her. Shouldn't he report it to the Guardians and let them decide how to cope with the illegal weapon trespassing on Oa's technology? Did John conceal it for her from the Guardians?