Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Is it too soon to say Three Jokers??

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Power Girl's retconned Atlantean origin? I don't think anything much was ever done with it.

Black Canary being her own daughter brainwashed into thinking she was her mother. Yup...that didn't stick around too long either.
    Was there a particular reason why they retconned her as such? It sounds so nonsensical.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    Was there a particular reason why they retconned her as such? It sounds so nonsensical.
    Power Girl was a refugee from Earth-2, which no longer existed. So, they tried to give her a new origin, but no one really liked it. If memory serves, Paul Kupperberg was the one who suggested it, linking her to his own creation Arion. However, the character, and her enormous bosom, continued to be popular with fans, so she stuck around until Infinite Crisis restored her Earth-2 origins as Superman's cousin.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I sometimes forget they tried to make hip, young, non-goatee Green Arrow a thing although only Lemire's run really stuck.
    Don't you mean "totally not Hawkeye wearing green"

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    For those not familiar: there was a title called Batman: Gotham Knights and in #33-36 there is a story arc where Bane shows up in Wayne Manor claiming to Bruce's half brother. Naturally, the Batman and the Bat Family try to get to the bottom of this and also Batman and Bane team up for a bit as well. At the end of the story we learn that Bane was wrong and Thomas wasn't his biological father so he goes off to find his real father who turned out to be King Snake.
    That sounds like a fan-fiction IMO, and not a good one.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Is it too soon to say Three Jokers??
    That one's intriguing enough on arrival. Then it shows its crack the first time I notice that, yes, once again, Geoff Johns is making his own continuity

People seem to like little Jason begging for his life even to the point of asking to be Joker's Robin, All I could think of was "Pfft that didn't happen, and it didn't sound like the boy who forgives and then saves his mother who sold him to be tortured"

Jason was brave and true until the end

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Never mind that if not for technology, Superman would have perished on Krypton.
    Not really,i would argue the Kryptonians(all of them) could have left the planet had they continued persuing their own potential . They were a race of superpeople(no sun explanation).Instead, they didn't even know the limits of their own potential and even ignored warnings from a scientist who was observing the planet. Its classic tale of a bunch of strong people who don't know their own strength, intelligence... Etc and have no wisdom to deal with tools they created or forgotten their prowess, perishing because of it. So, i could say that jor l needing the rocket shows the problem. Which clark overcame himself flying. Wall E is a robot. Yet, it criticised humanity for being reliant and addicted to a screen. Wall E becomes the reason people start getting off their seats and remove their head from a screen.

There is an issue where clark gets to know of krypton (roughly silverage) . He flies back to where it used to stand if i remember correctly. Superman travels back breaking time barrier, for the first time i think. It is actually very cool. I believe, darwyn cooke's superman:kryptonite made a mention of the story. Anyways, clark wouldn't have known limits of his abilities had he been dependent on some machine to the point of not knowing yourself.Anyways,clark couldn't change the past because he was intangible in it. He could only observe i believe. So, a limitation was found through challenging yourself.

From my reading, superman can do anything a machine can and better. That's not coincidence. He can sense things. He can fly. He is strong as steel.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-30-2020 at 02:21 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    They had set up for years in the Batman Secret Files & Origins that Thomas Wayne was doing overseas work in Santa Prisca nine months before Bane was born. So the hint was always there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I mean, technically, all comics not by the original creators are officiated fan fiction. :P

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I mean, technically, all comics not by the original creators are officiated fan fiction. :P
    Never mind the editorial.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Not really,i would argue the Kryptonians(all of them) could have left the planet had they continued persuing their own potential . They were a race of superpeople(no sun explanation).Instead, they didn't even know the limits of their own potential and even ignored warnings from a scientist who was observing the planet. Its classic tale of a bunch of strong people who don't know their own strength, intelligence... Etc and have no wisdom to deal with tools they created or forgotten their prowess, perishing because of it. So, i could say that jor l needing the rocket shows the problem. Which clark overcame himself flying. Wall E is a robot. Yet, it criticised humanity for being reliant and addicted to a screen. Wall E becomes the reason people start getting off their seats and remove their head from a screen.

There is an issue where clark gets to know of krypton (roughly silverage) . He flies back to where it used to stand if i remember correctly. Superman travels back breaking time barrier, for the first time i think. It is actually very cool. I believe, darwyn cooke's superman:kryptonite made a mention of the story. Anyways, clark wouldn't have known limits of his abilities had he been dependent on some machine to the point of not knowing yourself.Anyways,clark couldn't change the past because he was intangible in it. He could only observe i believe. So, a limitation was found through challenging yourself.

From my reading, superman can do anything a machine can and better. That's not coincidence. He can sense things. He can fly. He is strong as steel.
    Well, when the solution is "build more rockets," it kind of seems like technology is important in some respects and the real issue is hubris. Wall-E shows man and machine working together.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, when the solution is "build more rockets," it kind of seems like technology is important in some respects and the real issue is hubris. Wall-E shows man and machine working together.
    That was always one of my problems with the whole Krypton thing; they just never came up with a believable explanation as to why large numbers of Kryptonians didn't survive. And no, the whole Eradicator thing and the other convoluted ideas they've tried over the years just never did it for me. I just can't get over the idea of a incredibly advanced alien race that is stuck on one planet despite possessing advanced interstellar, (and implied intergalactic) space travel.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    That was always one of my problems with the whole Krypton thing; they just never came up with a believable explanation as to why large numbers of Kryptonians didn't survive. And no, the whole Eradicator thing and the other convoluted ideas they've tried over the years just never did it for me. I just can't get over the idea of a incredibly advanced alien race that is stuck on one planet despite possessing advanced interstellar, (and implied intergalactic) space travel.
    Other interpretations have it that Krypton was very isolated and maybe not as xenophobic as the Daxamites but not really open with other races to the point where they probably wouldn't have thought of leaving Krypton.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Power Girl's retconned Atlantean origin? I don't think anything much was ever done with it.

Black Canary being her own daughter brainwashed into thinking she was her mother. Yup...that didn't stick around too long either.
    I think the only good things derived directly from the retcon to an Atlantean heritage were:

Further distinguished her from Superman
    Gained the ability to use magicks to augment her powers like being able to "fly" non-flyers with her without the need for physical contact
    Great costume visual with the seal
    And her participation as an Atlantean descendant during the reuniting of the kingdom's of Atlantis arc during the second year of Aquaman 's title

The whole Scarabus thing was horrible though and it is the main reason can just go whatever to the regression
    Last edited by Stanlos; 10-30-2020 at 03:10 PM.

How long did Supergirl's Atlantean heritage last? How long did Guy's alien heritage last? How quickly does something have to die to qualify for this thread, do you think?