Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Now I'm suddenly imagining Superman being really uncomfortable around Red Tornado and not knowing why .

Or he starts acting like an ungrateful jerk or slave-driver to Kelex...

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Really? There is a clear subtext in the old comics and even media. He is smashing machines, robots, cars...
    Something virtually every superhero has done. Do you think Iron Man is anti-automation?

Etc. From my readings of the creators either meant it or it was subconscious. Steel is based on john henry the folk hero if i am not mistaken who beat the steam drill .
    Steel is a guy who fights using powered armor. He's the worst person you can use as evidence of Superman being anti-automatio.

Just analyse before you go around declaring stuff.
    I'd suggest you take your own advice.

There is a reason landis had superman causing machines to glitch out in his presence.
    Max Landis is as far from an authority on Superman as you can get.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Now I'm suddenly imagining Superman being really uncomfortable around Red Tornado and not knowing why .

Or he starts acting like an ungrateful jerk or slave-driver to Kelex...
    You see, the character was mean to represent the working class man. That working class man is long gone and times have changed. Silverage superman was a different version. Postcrisis guy is as well. But, i do believe Clark's love-hate relationship with tech rears its head sometimes .
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Something virtually every superhero has done. Do you think Iron Man is anti-automation?

Steel is a guy who fights using powered armor. He's the worst person you can use as evidence of Superman being anti-automation.
    There is a difference between pointedly smashing something to make statements and something happening in the heat of the moment. Superman was making statements from the get go. His s and the badge was one. Everything about superman had a clear leaning. If you wish to choose ignore that context, go for it.Superman smashes machines on purpose.

So? Just because the dc character basically ignored the theme of the folk hero(I believe its a travesty) . Does not mean theme doesn't exist in the original context. John henry is the story of the man who beat the machine and forever will be.

Max landis clearly gets postcrisis superman better than most do. Fine, what about moore, morrison,timm, johns, siegel... Etc?

Finally, i wasn't the one who declared "There is nothing anti-automation about Superman".what do you want anyway? Another "technology fetish" hero.At best, superman's relationship with tech would be similar to akira's relationship with the same and nuclear energy.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-28-2020 at 10:03 AM.

You see, the character was mean to represent the working class man. That working class man is long gone and times have changed. Silverage superman was a different version. Postcrisis guy is as well. But, i do believe Clark's love-hate relationship with tech rears its head sometimes .
    What you're describing isn't a working man. You're describing a luddite.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    What you're describing isn't a working man. You're describing a luddite.
    Nope! Automation was real concern of taking away lively hoods of people back then.that concern itself is understandable, loosing a job can be devastating for working class man. Moreover, technology has its fair share of pitfalls, even today. Automation does as well. Wall-e was also a critique of tech fetishness that caused mankind to be lazy, Glutton... Etc.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-28-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Another one fro the N52:

Red Beast Boy

Extraordinary Member

Please tell me you all remember the DEOrphans from Titans.

Ric Grayson

The Ravagers

Just about everything in regards to Scott Lobdell's Starfire

The New 52 Titans

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Another one fro the N52:

Red Beast Boy
    To be fair, Garfield started out as purple in the Silver Age.

You see, the character was mean to represent the working class man. That working class man is long gone and times have changed. Silverage superman was a different version. Postcrisis guy is as well. But, i do believe Clark's love-hate relationship with tech rears its head sometimes.
    I don't think it makes sense for him to naturally dislike technology. He just happens to fight technology gone wrong on a frequent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    To be fair, Garfield started out as purple in the Silver Age.
    No he didn't. He was green as a civilian and wore a purple mask and gloves to hide that he was green and preserve his secret identity. But now you've made me have to go double check. Hope I didn't get that wrong.

Edit: I was partially right. He started out green. Unless this is a reprint thing.
    BBno mask.jpg
    He did the green/humany-face throughout his DP stories, I think

Then he got a half mask
    bbhalf.jpg

Then a full one a couple issues later
    bbfull.jpg
    Last edited by Tzigone; 10-28-2020 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think it makes sense for him to naturally dislike technology. He just happens to fight technology gone wrong on a frequent basis.
    If it makes a dystopia like krypton or the wall-e earth. Hell yeah! He does. If it makes man lazy, yes he would. Either way, clark and technology would have a relationship status that's meant to say "complicated". Superman would be similar akira movie or wall e .But,then again superman hasn't broken any limits since goldenage age. So, superman being about human effort trumping machines is laughable at best in current state. The guy runs on sun steroids. He is the epitome of muscles made of hot air and complacency.

Funnily enough, two robot characters have clear links to superman. One is astroboy and the other the iron giant.Also, thor has similar attitude to clark in avengers emh.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-28-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    In many stories, he represents the working class and the fight against corporations and their machines. There are many interpretations out there, and that's one of them.
    All superheroes fight evil robots. Even when they are robots themselves (Red Tornado).

Superman represents the working class in his earliest incarnation and in others, but that doesn't mean he's anti-automation even there. The New 52 Superman had that flavor added back into him, but even then he still had the high tech Fortress.

If it makes a dystopia like krypton or the wall-e earth. Hell yeah! He does. If it makes man lazy, yes he would. Either way, clark and technology would have a relationship status that's meant to say "complicated". Superman would be similar akira movie or wall e .But,then again superman hasn't broken any limits since goldenage age. So, superman being about human effort trumping machines is laughable at best in current state. The guy runs on sun steroids. He is the epitome of muscles made of hot air and complacency.

Funnily enough, two robot characters have clear links to superman. One is astroboy and the other the iron giant.Also, thor has similar attitude to clark in avengers emh.
    No he does not. At no point has Superman ever once displayed a disdain for technology. You're reading into something that just plain is not there.

Thor grew up in a fantasy norse world. Nowadays Clark grows up in a relatively modern rural setting, but that probably still had smartphones and social media.